Unity Sprite Resolution and Line Thickness for 2D Games

FroglinGames

May 19, 2024
I posted my first attempt at something akin to a game to Itch and Newgrounds, and now i want top work more on it and try to improve it.

I have completed a video game design course but we were never taught much in regards to 2d games and making assets for such games so now im finding myself at a loss on how to improve the visual quality (not artistic quality) of my sprites.

The sprites look more or less fine at full size, but begin to get jagged or crunch lines as the scale decreases. Ive experimented with thicker outlines and that improves the look a little, as does having the sprites larger on the screen. But i have seen games on the site with very small sprites that dont seem to have as much loss in quality as im seeing with mine.

Some sprites have been created in Toon Boom Harmony, and others in Clip Studio Paint but the same issue persists regardless. Sprites are drawn on a 4k canvas and lineart is drawn in vector lines.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

May 3, 2018
You need to look into enabling bilinear filtering for the sprites. (I'm not familiar with Unity, so I can't tell you where the setting might be, but it should be related to the import option for the assets.)

Besides that, just general advice for 2D game content creation, you need to create the assets as close to the onscreen size they'll be displayed at as possible. Scaling the graphics by more than x2 will generally result in the issues you are describing (though bilinear filtering will help).

To my knowledge, Unity doesn't render vector images, so you drawing in vector doesn't do you any good. The result is rasterized inside the engine.