• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

[R>Artist 3D] [R>Writer] Paid Starting a Game Studio (Closed)

Nov 29, 2022
Basically I am going to start working a job soon and seeing the amount of cash that Drpinkcake is bringing in makes me want to do something similar.

My History:
I tried being a writer and wasn't too good at it. I learned about business so I understand the do's and don'ts .

Employment Type: Paid/Share/ Unpaid
I should start earning money in March or April from my job.
We can discuss payment and rev shares through discord. I can pay the artist $500 and the writer $500 when I get my paycheck.

What I am looking for:
Writer and 3D artist who are not pieces of garbage and can give me time to pay them. You won't be working for free. In fact until I pay you, you'll get a 50% cut each from the patreon money. After you get the money or we hit a certain threshold then all revenue from patreon will be under my name. Again if you don't like it let me know through discord. I live in the Eastern Time in America so there is that. I am not looking for a coder because coding cancome last. First we need the game fully written and assets as well as hardware that doesn't suck. In the future I'll pay for a composer and voice acting. So there is that. Where do I find such talented people. I am not sure but I'll figure something out.

The game:
I am not sure but I want each each update or chapter to be about 5 hours or 10 hours long. I know it's a lot but I'll pay you guys accordingly. Obviously the game isn't going to come out of nowhere so we need have planning stages and whatnot. Basically the game is going to be similar to Milky Touch and Being A DIK or College Kings and Fresh Women.

If you have any questions let me know down below or complaints let me know as well. I aim to improve.

PsianDiameter

Game Developer
Nov 27, 2022
What I am looking for:
Writer and 3D artist who are not pieces of garbage and can give me time to pay them. You won't be working for free. In fact until I pay you, you'll get a 50% cut each from the patreon money. After you get the money or we hit a certain threshold then all revenue from patreon will be under my name. Again if you don't like it let me know through discord. I live in the Eastern Time in America so there is that. I am not looking for a coder because coding cancome last. First we need the game fully written and assets as well as hardware that doesn't suck. In the future I'll pay for a composer and voice acting. So there is that. Where do I find such talented people. I am not sure but I'll figure something out.

wait so you are just gonna be the manager to just say thumbs up or thumbs down ? without the actual work ?

since you are looking for a writer, a 3d artist "I am not looking for a coder because coding cancome last."

that means you are looking for a coder in the end if this do work out, so you are just getting a cut of the money without any work ?

Mar 2, 2020
First of all, I genuinely wish OP success in building a worthy game. Or, any game in fact? Shia Labeouf style.

Now since OP aims to improve...
This has so many red flags
Out of curiosity, could you list some?
Just wondering if I'm good at this bingo game.

I've ticked (and updated w/other users' input from below):
  • X-competitor: while it's good the set the bar high, you can't rely on this imminent morale boost of fighting the goliath in the long run, or whatever that was actually.
  • Money first / the fact that they're only in due to seeing some1 else's success as opposed to being a NSFW-games enjoyer
  • Shady "I've learned about business so I know the do's", screams Dunning-Kruger to me
  • Hefty overall sum, but complete lack of any clear picture what's the per-hour / per-asset pay is: "500$ arts 500$ writin'"
  • "writer and 3D artist who are not pieces of garbage". To me it just says they're a vile person and you could end up this "piece of garbage" if you fail to hit some mark they set.
  • The fact that it is actually a revshare in poor disguise: "You won't be working for free. In fact until I pay you, you'll get a 50% cut each from the patreon money"
  • Them hand-waving a coder position screams they barely understand what bringing forth a game is even like, even a VN one
  • "fully written game w/assets" is an extremely bad approach for games, even linear ones, one that blocks off any on-spot experimentation/iteration
  • Willing to voice-act it day1. VA is something you add later, not something you plan for, and personally I think it's one of the worst features in a sense of effort required to worth/quality added. Means they've little idea of where to focus their effort
  • Saying they're not sure about anything in their pitch/recruitment post while supposedly being a lead. A bit old-school and contrary to the exploratory nature of game-development, but to me it says "stay away from me, I've no idea what I'm doing"
  • Unreasonable time-to-develop. A crew of two would take aeons to achieve a BADIK copy that would run for 5-10h per update.
  • No clear one-liner to summarize what it's gonna be, except for a comparison. Says you've no ideas, just willing to go compile "money-making features". Also, "A VN bout a student getting himself some milf pussy" still beats using other games as references in your summary.
  • The fact that they're unclear about their own position. If they're just willing to fund it, I'm okay with that, but if so, there's no bars of creative control set. If they're not willing to fund it, however, what is their purpose as a part of the team?

Last edited:

Conviction07

Game Developer
May 6, 2017
First of all, I genuinely wish OP success in building a worthy game. Or, any game in fact? Shia Labeouf style.

I've ticked:
  • Money first / the fact that they're only in due to seeing some1 else's success as opposed to being a NSFW-games enjoyer
  • Shady "I've learned about business so I know the do's", screams Dunning-Kruger to me
  • Hefty overall sum, but complete lack of any clear picture what's the per-hour / per-asset pay is: "500$ arts 500$ writin'"
  • The fact that it is actually a revshare in poor disguise: You won't be working for free. In fact until I pay you, you'll get a 50% cut each from the patreon money
  • Them hand-waving a coder position screams they barely understand what bringing forth a game is even like, even a VN one
  • "fully written game w/assets" is an extremely bad approach for games, even linear ones, one that blocks off any on-spot experimentation/iteration
  • Willing to voice-act it day1. VA is something you add later, not something you plan for, and personally I think it's one of the worst features in a sense of effort required to worth/quality added. Means they've little idea of where to focus their effort
  • Saying they're not sure about anything in their pitch/recruitment post while supposedly being a lead. A bit old-school and contrary to the exploratory nature of game-development, but to me it says "stay away from me, I've no idea what I'm doing"
  • No clear one-liner to summarize what it's gonna be, except for a comparison. Says you've no ideas, just willing to go compile "money-making features". Also, "A VN bout a student getting himself some milf pussy" still beats using other games as references in your summary.
Don't forget the part about wanting each update to be 5-10 hours long. :FacePalm:

• Yay, new update!
Reactions: E_O_N

OsamiWorks

May 24, 2020

I've ticked:
  • X-competitor: while it's good the set the bar high, you can't rely on this imminent morale boost of fighting the goliath in the long run, or whatever that was actually.
  • The fact that it is actually a revshare in poor disguise: You won't be working for free. In fact until I pay you, you'll get a 50% cut each from the patreon money
  • The fact that they're unclear about their own position. If they're just willing to fund it, I'm okay with that, but if so, there's no bars of creative control set. If they're not willing to fund it, however, what is their purpose as a part of the team?
This one was my favorite!

Writer and 3D artist who are not pieces of garbage and can give me time to pay them.
I cant imagine what a "good" applicant in his mind is with this attitude from the beginning. Big indicator of what working with them will be like

Mar 2, 2020
I cant imagine what a "good" applicant in his mind is with this attitude from the beginning. Big indicator of what working with them will be like
This was actually the red-most of them all to me as I initially read the post, just so inappropriate I mentally blocked it or something.

Updated the list, let's see if we can compile a nice red flags compendium here. :coffee:

Conviction07

Game Developer
May 6, 2017
Well is it bad really? I can kinda see it being something legitimate to plan for. It even has a hefty 5h room to maneuver for whoever's gonna storytell it.
An update of that size would require a massive amount of text and art which would probably end up taking a year to produce. For a first time developer, it's totally unrealistic. Hell, most devs would be happy with a completed game that had a 10 hour playtime, let alone that much per update.

Mar 2, 2020
An update of that size would require a massive amount of text and art which would probably end up taking a year to produce. For a first time developer, it's totally unrealistic.
An, so in a context of "being a DIK copy", a crew of two will indeed take aeons to do this. Esp. without any coder...
Well OP does not mention the time schedule they expect any release/update to land? Maybe they plan for it to go on for 100 years.

Okay you've a point I'm just trying to defend something I probably should not. The list grows.

Nov 29, 2022
wait so you are just gonna be the manager to just say thumbs up or thumbs down ? without the actual work ?

since you are looking for a writer, a 3d artist "I am not looking for a coder because coding cancome last."

that means you are looking for a coder in the end if this do work out, so you are just getting a cut of the money without any work ?
Not quite. coding is by far the easiest task and the fastest depending on how the script is written on docs sheet. There is a plug-in that makes the process a lot faster. I hope this makes sense. If I am wrong about this let me know.

Nov 29, 2022
An update of that size would require a massive amount of text and art which would probably end up taking a year to produce. For a first time developer, it's totally unrealistic. Hell, most devs would be happy with a completed game that had a 10 hour playtime, let alone that much per update.
you aren’t wrong about that either but truth be told that’s why I am willing to pay certain amount. Heck one of the artists wants 1.5k and I’m going to deliver on that incrementally. Further depending on the render quality or resolution it might take less time. Marketing is something that we can worry about later after we have enough assets to use in the marketing material. We have a synopsis, a writer, and 2 artists.

Nov 29, 2022

I've ticked (and updated w/other users' input from below):
  • "writer and 3D artist who are not pieces of garbage". To me it just says they're a vile person and you could end up this "piece of garbage" if you fail to hit some mark they set.
  • The fact that it is actually a revshare in poor disguise: "You won't be working for free. In fact until I pay you, you'll get a 50% cut each from the patreon money"
  • Unreasonable time-to-develop. A crew of two would take aeons to achieve a BADIK copy that would run for 5-10h per update.
Well this is a lot to read but I’ll start with a thank you for pointing all these out. I am just the guy who is going to hand out paychecks and help out with other things.
The summary is basically not 100% confirmed but we’re thinking it be similar Megamind or Deadpool but in a university setting. There are other ideas currently being thought about so it’s still a work in progress.
The unreasonable time to develop. You have a fair point.
Regarding the stay away from attitude. I mean I suppose I just want the developers to have freedom to do what they want without me getting in their way.
The coder comes later because marketing comes first. When we have the story ready and images to show we are going to market it and present to other plattforms and get more funding meaning more people and so on and so fourth.
In all fairness it’ll take a month or two for the writing to be sort of complete. So that’s when I should get a paycheck.
regarding the morale Boost it sort of shifted with a conversation we had and now we are working on making the game we want to make while still being a competitior. Competition is good. People want more quality games and they are taking longer to make so the gold rush is about to start again.

Green Hat Productions

Game Developer
Jan 24, 2023
And lo it was foretold, that this brave soul would dash through the ethereal planes and tear heaven asunder, casting DrPinkCake from his weirdly veiny phallic throne. And so it shall be. Godspeed.

Reactions: The Masked Man

lostraven

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Apr 27, 2017
The game:
I am not sure but I want each each update or chapter to be about 5 hours or 10 hours long. I know it's a lot but I'll pay you guys accordingly.
No, you have zero idea how much work that is, that is not 'a lot' of work, that is a ungodly amount of work.

5-6 hours PER update?

5-6 Hours worth of writing material (in a VN) alone is probably pushing well into 70K words+
That's the length of a novel you will need to asset, code in, test +100 other things every. single. update.

Not to mention there is no real plan here, have you even got a story in mind you want to tell? A game you want to make?
It comes across like you don't have even the vaguest idea of what you actually want outside of profit.

Massively rethink all of this.
-Document the game you want to make and plan accordingly.
-Save up and have a actual budget you can spend on this. Development can get very expensive.
-Figure out what your actual role is, what do you bring to the table? Unless its thousands of dollars you really need to bring something else...art, writing, coding, animation, ANYTHING - otherwise, why do they need you?