• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

[R>Artist 3D] [R>Writer] Paid Starting a Game Studio (Closed)

Nov 29, 2022
Look guys I get you want to criticize me and stuff like that which is cool and all but believe it or not we actually are changing the plans from the Being a Dik competitor to something much more simple. Also I am just an investor so that’s about it. EssentiallyI will giving my entire paycheck minus $500 which I owe to someone else in real life.

Reactions: user220

noping123

Game Developer
Jun 24, 2021
Look guys I get you want to criticize me and stuff like that which is cool and all but believe it or not we actually are changing the plans from the Being a Dik competitor to something much more simple. Also I am just an investor so that’s about it. EssentiallyI will giving my entire paycheck minus $500 which I owe to someone else in real life.

Through all of this, I've come to one conclusion - you really have no concept of how much work is actually involved in all of this.

What you asked for originally, could quite reasonably be thousands of hours of work.

I make my game for very little money, because it's something I really *want* to do. But what you're asking, it wouldn't be me working on my game. It'd be me working on someone else's.

Go ahead, look at my stuff. It's not the greatest. Considering the level of work you're asking for, and the approximate time-frames you seem to be interested in, I would want thousands of dollars a month to even consider it.

"Thousands a month?!" you say, completely bewildered.

Yes. Because what you're asking for is quite literally a full-time commitment, as in a full-time job - so I'd want to be paid accordingly. The other option of course would be for each "update" to take a couple of years, but we'll assume literally no one considers that acceptable.

Obviously the economics of where I live matter, people who live in other areas might accept less, but one thing is universal. Anyone putting in the time and effort you'd want, would want a living wage out of it. And quite honestly? Anyone accepting less isn't going to be producing anything close to quality work.

If you were a writer with a GREAT pitch, or an artist with some good work to show, then you could consider getting people to work on spec - but when literally the only thing you have to offer is "I basically want to invest my money, and then get a percentage of the return", then people will expect to get paid.

My honest opinion? Save your money and abandon this idea. The chances of putting together a bunch of random people and creating something that will actually make money, without investing many MANY thousands of dollars upfront, is pretty much zero. So unless your "new job" is paying way way WAY more than anyone here thinks, you'll ultimately end up throwing away money on nothing.

Reactions: thedevastator2021

user220

Nov 2, 2021

Good luck there!
You migth want to rethink the whole approach again and the possible outcome. To me, you are not an investor because you don't have a product to invest it.
Putting money into an idea, by people who you work first time with, might be extremely challenging to generate money.

At least I hope you will learn somethign out of this project, and won't put lots of resources at stake.

My case, i am going the opposite way. I put code, lore and idea first, and art comes second IF things get in motion. Otherwise, if a designer can sell me a single character body image for $100, i must find a way to monetize and profit out of it. Which is hard, because if it was easy, he would've been busy with patreon/comissions.

Last edited:

Geralt_of_Trivia

Jan 27, 2019
this man really said i have no plan, no idea, and no clue what im doing but i want to pay you (probably less than average) for more work than an AAA game studio just because he saw how much 1 game makes?

also coding can come last because its the least important xD you are talking about a game not a comic book, my brother in christ what do you think code is?

MrHotCoffee

Oct 29, 2019
X = "Hey so I have this amazing idea and I'm gathering a team for it"
Y = "So, we will be all the developers, artists, marketers, sound designers, while you do nothing and take all the credit for it?"
X = "Exactly"

Reactions: PsianDiameter

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
5-6 Hours worth of writing material (in a VN) alone is probably pushing well into 70K words+
That's the length of a novel you will need to asset, code in, test +100 other things every. single. update.
90k to 110k, if your reading speed is 300 words a minute.
That alone is very hard to do each update, but if you are doing an eastern style type of VN, it's barely doable but your writer will feel abused and will probably start eyeing that bottle of wine more and more each day.

Now, if you are going to do the western style, so an image each sentence almost, then... Yeah, this game is not going anywhere.

Reactions: thedevastator2021

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
If you think making a game is a quick and easy way to get rich, or even a remotely good investment of your money because you fapped to Being a Dik and opened his patreon page by mistake and saw how much they are earning, then I am sorry to tell you that the great majority of games never get more than a hundred patrons.

Nov 29, 2022
Look I think you guys are looking at this the wrong way. Or there is a just something I haven’t said that I should have but we’re just not working on an ambitious project. We are working on something quite doable. We have two writers, two artists, a developer/manager/writer, an investor, and another studio that can help out if we need it. Essentially the new plan is to make 3 smaller games and then work on the competitor with a studio that has more people than what we started with. I understand that there is problem that some people foresee with different people and time zones. Again if you guys want I’ll update the thread with any progress we’ve made and stuff like that. If things go wrong I suppose I’ll admit my faults.

Reactions: user220

kinrean

May 12, 2018
Look I think you guys are looking at this the wrong way. Or there is a just something I haven’t said that I should have but we’re just not working on an ambitious project. We are working on something quite doable. We have two writers, two artists, a developer/manager/writer, an investor, and another studio that can help out if we need it. Essentially the new plan is to make 3 smaller games and then work on the competitor with a studio that has more people than what we started with. I understand that there is problem that some people foresee with different people and time zones. Again if you guys want I’ll update the thread with any progress we’ve made and stuff like that. If things go wrong I suppose I’ll admit my faults.

i think you should just do it your way, people have to learn it your way and find people that understand your way, your pay is low, so don't think people will join because of the money only,

and what other say is true , is hard, it take alot of time, and will fail . but i will say one thing, in making anything is all is about how long you willing to do( if there a will there a way) . and this kind of project it will take many year, so you may have to take year to find people to help you or you have to learn it your self .
and as other had say, don't make a game simple you think is fast or can earn money.
people who make thing want to make it because is fun too. and all the drama here make it sad.

for me i will not join your project simple i don't like this kind of ideal/story.

Reactions: The Rogue Trader

cooperdk

Engaged Member
Jul 23, 2017
Don't say you're a competitor when you're competing against a mature game and you have ... diddly-squat.

Also, you talk about programming being the easiest. Maybe if you use the Python-inspired, but incredibly outdated, shit tool which is garbage at graphics, animation and game archiving.
If you step it up a notch, you get a much faster game with much better graphics options and a shitload of other features.

Some games never really take off.
Compare and look at how few games actually make money if they're made in the ren-poo "engine". Also, Python 2.7 might soon be broken in both Windows and Linux, since support ended years ago and the interpreter is basically unsafe to run (and honestly, I don't think he will ever be done with the Py3 conversion, also, it is based on an already extinct Py3 version).

SybariteKnight

Jan 27, 2023
Don't say you're a competitor when you're competing against a mature game and you have ... diddly-squat.

Also, you talk about programming being the easiest. Maybe if you use the Python-inspired, but incredibly outdated, shit tool which is garbage at graphics, animation and game archiving.
If you step it up a notch, you get a much faster game with much better graphics options and a shitload of other features.

Some games never really take off.
Compare and look at how few games actually make money if they're made in the ren-poo "engine". Also, Python 2.7 might soon be broken in both Windows and Linux, since support ended years ago and the interpreter is basically unsafe to run (and honestly, I don't think he will ever be done with the Py3 conversion, also, it is based on an already extinct Py3 version).
Which engine is best for visual novels in your opinion?

Marche95

Director games
Game Developer
Jul 10, 2017
Dude by all respect. But you are kinda living in a dream world right now.
I'm not saying this because I want to insult you or anything like that. But saying things like "we’re just not working on an ambitious project. We are working on something quite doable." and then starting to talk about your 6 imaginary team members, some random studio and doing 3 games at once (Because coding is easy I guess?) is just lunacy.

Again I don't want to insult you because you seem like nice person who takes critic without crying when his ego is getting hurt. (Which is something most dev never learn btw.)
But to make it clear.

-People will not throw themself at you because you promise money. And the ones who will, will try to scam you.
-Instand of looking at the patreon page of one of the most successful adult game creater, look at the other 1000 patreon pages which don't make it over $10.
-Give up many of your plans and understand that creating a game (and the business around it) isn't anything like you think.

Last edited:

RIC0H

Well-Endowed Member
Modder
Game Compressor
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 8, 2020
5-6 hours PER update?

5-6 Hours worth of writing material (in a VN) alone is probably pushing well into 70K words+
That's the length of a novel you will need to asset, code in, test +100 other things every. single. update.
I mean it's doable if the game was made to be a Sandbox and add time gated content.

Crimson Delight Games

Game Developer
Nov 20, 2020
No, you have zero idea how much work that is, that is not 'a lot' of work, that is a ungodly amount of work.
Seconding this. As our team's resident penmonkey, I can safely say that 6 hours of content is ~3 months of work.

You could slash that in half with a bigger writing staff or by working on the game full time, but for 1 writer who works part-time it's gonna take at least 3+ months to produce that much content if you're shooting for any semblance of quality.

fidless

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Oct 22, 2018
Basically I am going to start working a job soon and seeing the amount of cash that Drpinkcake is bringing in makes me want to do something similar.

My History:
I tried being a writer and wasn't too good at it. I learned about business so I understand the do's and don'ts .

Employment Type: Paid/Share/ Unpaid
I should start earning money in March or April from my job.
We can discuss payment and rev shares through discord. I can pay the artist $500 and the writer $500 when I get my paycheck.

What I am looking for:
Writer and 3D artist who are not pieces of garbage and can give me time to pay them. You won't be working for free. In fact until I pay you, you'll get a 50% cut each from the patreon money. After you get the money or we hit a certain threshold then all revenue from patreon will be under my name. Again if you don't like it let me know through discord. I live in the Eastern Time in America so there is that. I am not looking for a coder because coding cancome last. First we need the game fully written and assets as well as hardware that doesn't suck. In the future I'll pay for a composer and voice acting. So there is that. Where do I find such talented people. I am not sure but I'll figure something out.

The game:
I am not sure but I want each each update or chapter to be about 5 hours or 10 hours long. I know it's a lot but I'll pay you guys accordingly. Obviously the game isn't going to come out of nowhere so we need have planning stages and whatnot. Basically the game is going to be similar to Milky Touch and Being A DIK or College Kings and Fresh Women.

If you have any questions let me know down below or complaints let me know as well. I aim to improve.
So you just pay 500$, someone else makes a game, and you take the game and profit from it? That's how things work?
I mean sure... You pay, and someone else works. But I never saw this working out well.
They see to get game popular you need months/years into development, they have no idea what makes games good and just... *poof*

Last edited: