Ren'Py - StarTrainer [v0.7.0] [StarTrainer18]

1. 2.00 star(s)

Dargondo

This review is for v0.6.1

This is probably the most basic "trainer" game I have ever played to the point that calling it anything more than a glorified visual novel with extra steps would be a lie.

All you do in the game is repeat a few events for resources, get trained in some very basic magic (hypnotic suggestion and "transformation"), and then just repeat until you hit the end of content, which only takes maybe two hours to do unless you don't read the dialogue since there is no choices to be made in the game except at one point where you decide if you want futas to be in the game or not.

The decision to keep to the original art style of the show was certainly an admirable one, but it sadly hinders the sex appeal of the scenes greatly, and the corruption/training aspect of the game is really non-existent beyond just giving the occasional nudge in whatever direction you need.

I will say, the one thing the game does well is the plot (not the writing though because there is a lot of typos and other issues).
    You enter the world as someone from our world basically, having watched the series of SvFoE when it was airing all those years ago, so your character doesn't really need to be introduced to how things work outside of just covering the basics of what might be different.
    Honestly, that aspect alone is a massive saving grace for the game, but since it also ends up depriving us of the opportunity to corrupt the mom since apparently vanilla Marco had already done the legwork on that, so we just get to reap the benefits of blowjobs, tit jobs, and pudding.

Unfortunately, having a decent enough plot is not enough to save the game as is since the gameplay is extremely repetitive and bland while the sex scenes are just meh at best.

If the gameplay was reinvigorated to be more than just a grindfest and the art changed to a more attractive style rather than sticking to the original design quite so much, then I could see myself upgrading this rating to 3 or 4 stars [insert Star pun here].
  2. 4.00 star(s)

Markymarkkeper79

Always nice to see a show you love being turned into a game that is not attrocious!

Good art, quite alright plot.

Of course I love the mind control part, keep that up.

I am quite interested to see where this is going.
  3. 4.00 star(s)

Smudgey

This is for version 0.4.2.
    I have mixed feelings about this game. For better or worse, the art is authentic to the show. The lack of detail in the character models is a bit of a turn off for me, but each erotic scene has decent animation which is a net positive in my opinion.
    The writing and gameplay however are quite lacking.
    Dialogue in every scene feels rushed like the author couldn't be bothered. The only character with anything worthwhile to say is Glossaryck.
    There's also an irritatingly frequent amount of typos spread throughout which I hope will get ironed out in later updates.
    In contrast to the rushed dialogue, the gameplay drags the pacing to a halt as you're forced to grind arbitrary stats to unlock the linear scenes. The worst part is there's no indicator for when an option is completed so you're forced to repeatedly click each menu until you stumble across what the plot wants for that day.

Despite my complaints I'm still giving it 4 stars because I think this game has potential if it can smooth out all the rough edges and give the writing a complete overhaul so the characters actually have some depth. Until that happens this is just a gallery with tedious unlock conditions.
  4. 5.00 star(s)

harem.king

this game is fantastic
    the art is great
    the pacing is good, at no point do I feel like I am just grinding.
    navigation is nice, no unncessary walking
    story is fun so far
    fetish choices are excellent.
    the mind control is done via gentle suggestions over time, very well implemented.
  5. 4.00 star(s)

JAWriter

Giving this a 4 As I've been a long time fan of the show and this is a fairly solid take on an idea I've wanted to see executed for almost as long.

If I have criticisms its mostly that getting to the sex is a bit rushed and the art may be almost a little too faithful to the show- a little stylishation can help here or there with making things sexier.

That said Im looking forward to seeing where this goes, and the potential addition of many more show characters for lewding ^^
  6. 5.00 star(s)

Virgin Girl

i don't have much to say.
    The game is awesome i can't wait for more updates.
    the story is really good too i love how you enter the STAR's world and start asking questions. Where are you? how did you come here? why are you in Marco's body... It makes the game more realistic you can feel yourself in the game. The art is the same as the anime and that makes it even better.
    hope the dev Doesn't Abandon the game and keeps up his good work

(*^_^*)
  7. 5.00 star(s)

Nero the Bard

cute chars
    nice story
    planed sub and dom paths
    100% recomended
    ................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
  8. 5.00 star(s)

andilu1215

much potential 8/10

very faithful to the original work, good story, but I would like a little more voloptousness to the characters, to make you want to fuck them more, I want to see how this project continues
  9. 5.00 star(s)

SleepyAporo

this is the first ive seen doing the star vs the forces of evil thing and i think its coming along well its vary fast paced i wish there was more of a build up but im going to say that may be just be due to it being a new game.
  10. 4.00 star(s)

Anomaly33

+ Art is on point.

= Has animation, but not the greatest (or worst) animation ever. Pretty mid.
    = Quite a few typos. Still perfectly understandable English though.

- Too fast paced for my liking.
    - I'm generally not a huge fan of mind control trainer games, as it's the laziest form of corruption that doesn't require any clever writing. It takes away from the feeling that you've earned a certain outcome because the targets of the mind control don't have full free will. This is probably also why it feels fast paced; there's nowhere interesting for it to go other than the next step of brainwashing.

Overall I'm tempted to give it 3 stars, but accounting for my personal biases will go with 4. Not a bad product for what it's trying to be.
  11. 5.00 star(s)

lygarx

art that matches the very original thing it is trying to parody. that is a big plus in any game or smut parody. accuracy to the lore and design goes a long way. All I can say is keep up the good work and rooting for you.