HTML Steam deck troubleshooting

HogToot

Jul 6, 2017
So I am currently traveling for an extended period of time and I have bought a steam deck for games etc. I have been able to figure out how to pretty much get every time of game on here to work, renpy, unity, rpg maker, Unreal engine. But for the life of me I can’t get HTML games to function. Whenever I launch them they startup fine but Gifs and embedded videos won’t play. I’ve tried chrome and Firefox and I haven’t found a solution. Any advice?

zombieservsex

Nov 19, 2020
I post crash logs, and/or issues I have encounter ingame, to the specific game thread, the general issue with html games is, that people forget that Unix-like (steamdeck is linux, linux is unix-like) systems are case sensitive

peterppp

Mar 5, 2020
if steam deck works similar to a phone when it comes to browsing, that would explain it, and then it's because you need workarounds to get the correct file paths to the pics and videos if you play straight from the html

zombieservsex

Nov 19, 2020
if steam deck works similar to a phone when it comes to browsing, that would explain it, and then it's because you need workarounds to get the correct file paths to the pics and videos if you play straight from the html
the easiest way is just to rename the files or have duplicates, the better way is just dev's not having "fuckme.PNG" and instead use "fuckme.png".
The way i check if stuff is broken is right click the browser and click Inspect, and then check if that element is in the zip file....... or if it's a "fuckme.PNG" or "fuckme.Png" case......

peterppp

Mar 5, 2020
the easiest way is just to rename the files or have duplicates, the better way is just dev's not having "fuckme.PNG" and instead use "fuckme.png".
The way i check if stuff is broken is right click the browser and click Inspect, and then check if that element is in the zip file....... or if it's a "fuckme.PNG" or "fuckme.Png" case......
i'm not talking about case sensitive. that's generally not that big a problem. the problem with playing html games on phones is that the pics will be located somewhere else than what the html wants them to be. if steamdeck has the same problem, that's what's happening

zombieservsex

Nov 19, 2020
i'm not talking about case sensitive. that's generally not that big a problem. the problem with playing html games on phones is that the pics will be located somewhere else than what the html wants them to be. if steamdeck has the same problem, that's what's happening
wait do phones not have current working directory ?
secondary, linux is CASE sensitive just fyi

peterppp

Mar 5, 2020
wait do phones not have current working directory ?
secondary, linux is CASE sensitive just fyi
i don't know the technical details why it doesn't work like on a pc.

i never said anything about linux. i said case sensitivity is not generally a big problem with html games (in my experience). a few pics here or there could be wrong on linux because they are spelled with a different case, but not all of them. it's possible, but i never seen it

HogToot

Jul 6, 2017
i don't know the technical details why it doesn't work like on a pc.

i never said anything about linux. i said case sensitivity is not generally a big problem with html games (in my experience). a few pics here or there could be wrong on linux because they are spelled with a different case, but not all of them. it's possible, but i never seen it
Well I checked all of the files and they are all in lowercase, and the steam deck does run natively in linux. The crazy thing is I’ve googled this for over an hour and not a single solution has been found.

peterppp

Mar 5, 2020
Well I checked all of the files and they are all in lowercase, and the steam deck does run natively in linux. The crazy thing is I’ve googled this for over an hour and not a single solution has been found.
if it's the same problem as with phones, you have to use the same fix which is to move the pics to where they should be. but it's pretty cumbersome to do, on phones at least, so most people playing on phones either use the joiplay app or play the games on a website like mopoga.

look where the game wants to load the files. right click on the broken pic and "open image in new tab" or something like that. then move the pics to the proper place. that might be enough

Sgt028

Dec 17, 2020
I know it's been a while since this post... But I'm new to Steam Deck and Linux, I'm trying to play Urban Demons, but the game insists on having RPG Maker VX Ace, but I couldn't install VX Ace on the Deck. Would anyone know how to help me with this? I will be very grateful

iSweety

Aug 31, 2021
Solved
download browser (tested on mozilla) from the developer site and open html file from it
if use browsers, which downloaded from Discover, they create and open local files from temp folders and all mediafiles not open correctly

zombieservsex

Nov 19, 2020
Solved
download browser (tested on mozilla) from the developer site and open html file from it
if use browsers, which downloaded from Discover, they create and open local files from temp folders and all mediafiles not open correctly
that's interesting