VN - Ren'Py - STELLA [v0.1] [eggrik]

1. 5.00 star(s)

MaxRichard

Apologies in advance for the huge wall of text...

Man, what a great start to a game. I have probably played more AVNs than I should and if this first release is any indication of the future of this title, I think I'd place it at the very top tier. So much so that I'm going to put it in my signature after making this comment.

First, the idol manager setup is a home run of an idea. I think as someone else commented on the thread, you'd expect it to be more common in AVNs given how great of a setup it is, but alas, someone had to do it first. At the risk of stating the obvious, I think the reason it makes for such a great story is because it becomes easier to write a diverse set of characters with each girl having their own personality that fits together because they have a shared interest/job, live in the same house, they all know the MC and each other well, etc. and with the MC as their manager there's a real in-world reason for them to get closer over time and develop relationships.

All of that would already be great, but then having the MC be a newbie who works under an older, would-be idol (who also happens to be the best LI in the game thus far and really well written) is just chefs kiss and shows how thoughtful the writing here is. So world building and characterization for this novel score a 10/10 in my book.

On top of that, there's all the attention to detail which comes through in the richness of the menu options (custom fonts and text size, fuck yeah), the little dialog floating explanations on hover, thoughtful e m p h a s i s littered over the text liberally, the rich soundtrack built-in from the very first update... again a 10/10!

Personally I'm a big fan of HS games, but I know is not everyone's cup of tea. I just think it suits the adorable type LIs really well, which again makes it a great choice for this particular game. I guess in the spirit of not being pure hyperbole I guess there are other HS games with a bigger team that can extract even more from these models and those would be 10/10 renders whereas this one is more like a 7/10 on that department.....except the assets seem pretty varied, such as the richly detailed mansion for the girls, the local street with the burger shop, the KBBQ restaurant so I would give another 2 points for all of that, totaling 9/10....plus an extra point for the fact that this is a sole dev on their first AVN wrapping it up neatly at another 10/10.

I played this today after feeling a bit shitty for life reasons that I really wish I wasn't getting bothered by...I went in blind, not knowing what to expect, and for a moment I was transported to another world, feeling blissful, excited about what the next idol was going to look like and how their personality would be, looking forward to making a move on my boss and eager to start on Monday!

Then I came here to say how much I liked it and saw the planned and unplanned tags which literally map almost perfectly 1-to-1 with my interests (as a maledom fan, I don't care about femdom but even that is going to be optional) how kind, considerate and responsive this dev is to everyone's feedback...man, this is almost too good to be true. I know this just launched but I can't wait for the next update already

Finally, to turn this otherwise glowing review into a ever so slightly more balanced one, I agree with whoever said the dialogue could indeed be cut down a little in both the KBBQ scene and the Ruby intro. I think those two were the only clear instances that needed editing, although maybe I would consider cutting down a line or two in the chats with Crystal too. Basically, if it doesn't need to be said to advance the plot or characterization, it can be left out. And one piece of unsolicited advice: you mentioned not knowing how the story is going to end yet, which is understandable given you just started, but I encourage you to write as much of it in advance as you can. We are all just passengers and you are the sole captain. Some of us aren't even paying for the ride! Based on what I could read of your personality in your interactions above, you do come across as self-assured (in the most positive sense) but knowing where you're going is the first step in any journey, and it can get overwhelming when you're 8-9 updates in and every fan is complaining about something different, you're feeling burnt out from working on the projet too long, and you still haven't figured out where to take the story... that's when devs quit.

TL;DR this is an outstanding job, eggrik! In my opinion, you should be feeling super proud of yourself for this excellent first entry and if you keep this up I am certain you will be super successful.
  2. 5.00 star(s)

xenovon

This gotta be my shortest review, but this is a must try for those who likes honey select. As usual, one can only hope for a consistent updates. Oops need to hit 200 limit, so i guess i hope for the success of this one! Props to the dev who seems humble and shows appreciation for F95 Community.
  3. 5.00 star(s)

ayo342

Really enjoyed this first release. There's not that much content yet but I like the writing, characters, dialogue seems nicely written and the renders are great so it looks very promising. Looking forward to future episodes.
  4. 5.00 star(s)

claimant32

*My review copied from Itch*

Overall: Very promising first release. My first playthrough took about 3 hours, but I was taking it pretty leisurely. Definitely worth a play and excited for how the game plays out from here.

Pros:

- Good male models, really hard to make decent ones in HS2 and I like both the MC and his friend

- Banter with MCs friend is relatable and fun. There is a bit of info dumb at first, but it smooths out nicely to make them feel actually like friends. Lots of AVNs really fail at making the best friend character likable or non-cringe.

- Obviously the girls are well designed and good looking (if you are an HS2 enjoyer). I didn't find a single LI I didn't like the look of, which is rare for a game like this.

- We only get short intros with all the LIs except for Crystal, but the game does a good job of giving them a defined personality. Nothing that is going to shake up your expectations too much, but the LIs feel like real people.

- The world is interesting. I don't know much about pop groups like this so I am excited to see how the game uses that to its advantage to setup interesting and tense situations.

- All of the small things are really well done. The music player is nicely designed, songs pop up in the corner when they start playing, there are definitions for potentially confusing lingo in character dialogue, the photo book is nicely done etc. etc. These small touches really make it feel like the dev cares out the player experience.

Cons: No game is perfect and most of the things I didn't like have to do with setup.

- As mentioned above we only get really short intros with each girl. I feel like it was done well with the time given, but a little bit more time with each of them would have been nice. For example Rin has a longer conversation with the MC and I really liked that part of the game where they bonded.

- Even though the game has me interested, there wasn't a hint at the end of the episode as to what will be driving the plot. I was hoping by the end we would have a hint at what the main conflict in the story is. There are some potential hints (stalkers? relaunch concert? etc.), but I would have liked a bit more "Here is what Stella is going to be about" besides just a the life of a guy managing a pop group (because inevitably there is going to be conflict). I am confident we will find out more in 0.2 though!

- This isn't unique to Stella and I can't really fault the game as its a nice way to get "into the story" faster but there are some unbelievable coincidences / sequences. Like the MC getting the job of being a pop group manager at 22 from managing a cafe just because his friend's dad recommended him. HOWEVER, I'd rather we spend less time setting that up and more time with the girls, so I don't really take many points off for that, but worth noting.
  5. 4.00 star(s)

Dorfnutter

Review as of 0.1

Decent first chapter. Renders are good, music is nice, characters look like they're an interesting bunch, story is just good vibes all around...

Couple of issues I have I suppose is that conversations can be a bit on the "lengthy drivel" side. That's not to say I dislike the conversations, but some of them feel like they can be trimmed a bit and nothing of value will be lost (the early convo with MC and his best friend is one notorious example of this).

Another issue I have is that the story right now doesn't seem to have a strong enough hook to keep me invested. Like, sure, it's early days and we're just learning the ropes and meeting the people we're supposed to work with. But so far none of the girls seem to have a promising story hook that makes me want to learn more about them. I'm sure that'll likely change in the future, but right now it's just "eh, let's see how things go."

Overall, despite my personal misgivings, this is a competently made first release and I'm willing to give this a watch to see if things pick up later on.
  6. 5.00 star(s)

adsta

My review as of V0.1

Music - Great, theres always something playing which I really like, selection seems pretty good especially for an 0.1. I also like how when a new song starts it shows the name on the top left, and also how there is code that makes the sound less loud as ren'py defualt is pretty loud.

Qol - LOVE the qol in this, there are a lot of small things that make things a lot better. Like how you can turn on/off each quick menu option, the previously mentioned music/sound qol, certain words letting you hover over them to see their defenitions etc etc.

Renders - Pretty good for hs2, nothing else I can think of to say.

Story - Seems pretty good for an 0.1, want to see how it develops further before giving it an in depth review.

Other - Grammar seems pretty good, dev seems nice and is active on discord, there is a font usable for dyslexic people which is nice.