Recommending Story-first games

5.00 star(s) 8 Votes

boobsrcool

Apr 1, 2022
I haven't played that one. We were discussing A Long Journey. How much content is there (in play/read time) for Zero End? I've read many good reviews, but I'm not sure how long is it so far.
If the past year of content has been up to the standard set by earlier updates it's one of the easiest recommendations on the site

jufot

May 15, 2021
The new game from Pent Panda (of Short Sad Stories fame) is apparently coming along well, and there will be an early preview version by the end of summer.

The game is called Almost Castaways and revolves around two girls who "suffer a silly shipwreck and end up stranded on an uninhabited and somewhat strange island." This concept was chosen based on Patreon votes. From what little Panda has shared, it will be a story-driven sandbox game like TZYC with survival mechanics.

I like being the self-appointed PR person for his games, so here are a few teasers :)

1720790081429.png 1720790096075.png

Arisushi

Game Developer
Jul 9, 2020
The new game from Pent Panda (of Short Sad Stories fame) is apparently coming along well, and there will be an early preview version by the end of summer.

The game is called Almost Castaways and revolves around two girls who "suffer a silly shipwreck and end up stranded on an uninhabited and somewhat strange island." This concept was chosen based on Patreon votes. From what little Panda has shared, it will be a story-driven sandbox game like TZYC with survival mechanics.

I like being the self-appointed PR person for his games, so here are a few teasers :)

View attachment 3824227 View attachment 3824228
SSS turned out to be one of my top favorite VNs of all time, and I love "stranded in a deserted island" as a trope, so I have very high expectations for this one.

(And based on Pent Panda's writing style & quality, I'm positive those expectations will be met.)

Reactions: jufot

Vasin

Nov 20, 2018
Having played through the updates of Zero's End I've missed, I can say it rapidly advanced to the very top of the story driven urban fantasy mystery AVNs (yes, all 3 of them).

I really liked how high the production value of it is, the ui, soundtrack is evocative, yet unobtrusive, and gameplay elements that are frustrating enough to qualify as actual gameplay but not enough to put you off.

Story progresses at a good pace, it doesn't feel like it's rushed or too drawn out, given the gallery menu, we're about 20% in, and the entire thing should be a length of a decent movie, or at best mini series rather than multiple season monstrosity some games tend to devolve into.

I can't say I share the impression of the above mentioned rooftop scene, at that point I had more compassion for Langdon who at least helped us on his own volition. Brianna was a total bitch and I could not care less about what could have happened. I am missing the reason that forced Caleb to be a dick to her if you choose to go and have a chat, but frankly, I don't care enough to replay and see if there's anything else to it.

The scene that was the highlight of the entire episode for me was when you hang out with Alice. Having to inadvertently hurt her with indifference without even being aware of the reason why was heartwrenching.

Reactions: Tulrek and FatGiant

365 others

Aug 31, 2022
I finally played Zero End's latest chapter, and I can't believe how much I loved it. No other VN so expertly balances gravity with levity. One minute, you have perfectly in-character humour like:

... and soon have it followed by Brianna's most excellent rooftop sequence. It's so wonderfully well done, especially if you've failed to save her, as I have.

With this chapter, I felt even more strongly that this game is meant to be played without pursuing any LIs, save perhaps Marie. The game actively rewards celibacy with smarter dialogue, insight and intrigue. I love it!

From the beginning, my favourite characters have been the ostensible villains - Marie, Silver, and Swansong. I now feel a bit vindicated for my faith in Marie. Her backstabbing was telegraphed well in advance, but the possibility of her real motivations being agreeable to Caleb is looking stronger than ever. Similarly, Silver and Swansong both have more heart to them than their roles might otherwise imply. Especially for Silver, her connection to Marie and her inability to defy Marie must be related to the Daughter of Eve bit, but it's hard to see the whole picture just yet.

Likewise, Lilith has been a brilliant introduction to the cast. Her motivations are shrouded, but I didn't expect the game to steep her background so heavily in Jewish mythology. It has much creative potential, but I wonder if the dev might write himself into a corner? Lilith's fate in the mythology might not fit fell with the Son of Adam / Daughter of Eve thing that's going on. Still, it should be exciting!

Anyway, it's high time Zero End made it to the list. Better late than never :)
I just finished playing version 2.4 and could not agree more. Holly shit! I started playing with high expectations due to all the reviews, and I still got amazed at how well-written it is!

I guess saving Brianna is not an option depending on the path. Depending on how you see it, I probably did something wrong (or right) and saved her. Not by option, the VN took the MC there and I had no agency over that decision.

I don't regret it tho, her background and how she explained her story toned down the dislike I initially had for her.

I'm definitively subscribing.

If the past year of content has been up to the standard set by earlier updates it's one of the easiest recommendations on the site
I agree. I was reluctant as the tags and description were not that enticing, and I thought it was just another game with some lore sprinkled here and there. Now it is one of my top 3 favorite VNs.

Having played through the updates of Zero's End I've missed, I can say it rapidly advanced to the very top of the story driven urban fantasy mystery AVNs (yes, all 3 of them).

I really liked how high the production value of it is, the ui, soundtrack is evocative, yet unobtrusive, and gameplay elements that are frustrating enough to qualify as actual gameplay but not enough to put you off.

Story progresses at a good pace, it doesn't feel like it's rushed or too drawn out, given the gallery menu, we're about 20% in, and the entire thing should be a length of a decent movie, or at best mini series rather than multiple season monstrosity some games tend to devolve into.

I can't say I share the impression of the above mentioned rooftop scene, at that point I had more compassion for Langdon who at least helped us on his own volition. Brianna was a total bitch and I could not care less about what could have happened. I am missing the reason that forced Caleb to be a dick to her if you choose to go and have a chat, but frankly, I don't care enough to replay and see if there's anything else to it.

The scene that was the highlight of the entire episode for me was when you hang out with Alice. Having to inadvertently hurt her with indifference without even being aware of the reason why was heartwrenching.
I didn't have the option not to save her, but honestly, I didn't find something that made me hate her either. She's a "villain" but rather a loose one, and after saving her I got to know why. If anything I left feeling rather pity for her.

Reactions: jufot

Canto Forte

Post Pro
Jul 10, 2017
Just a recap so you actually read like you played the game not by skipping, but by reading the lines.

MC is immediately inducted into the demon side of the game world in Zero End when a literal succubus offers a blowie.
Same girl is one of the only love interests MC gets to choose to continue the game with, even.

Now, another girl ends up offering a blowie to MC also - but your conclusion is that she is the bad girl?

Not to mention everyone loves the murdering vampire who literally ragdolls MC and his friends?

Talk about being totally all over the place while playing this game.

MC gets to save the posessed girl from suicide - not from the curses on her, not from the overpowering force that is ruining her life - which is absolutely anticlimactic because MC is a self taught hobbyist exorcist of curses.
From this angle, the posessed girl would be right up his alley, precisely into his wheelhouse of fighting the curse and freeing the girl, which, totally contrarry to his whole backstory, MC does neither - not even recognizing the curse on the girl, not fighting it at all, gets right into the curse if he agrees to investigate while going to the girls dorm - what a pathetic total looser MC is to forget absolutely everything that made his whole interest into the occult - remember the conversation with Marie where MC is literally exhilirated for banishing some actual demon to the depths of hell during one of his banishments - but a girl who comes to him scared out of her mind for being cursed into a perpetual victim of rape and murder - MC is totally oblivious.

That is the absolute dissolution of the story of this whole game - MC is a powerful warlock specialized in banishing great hellish curses - his biggest achievement being to have banished a literal demon back to hell - but MC is totally oblivious and powerless against mere humans and their minor curses they seem to bother MC with to no avail.

I didn't have the option not to save her, but honestly, I didn't find something that made me hate her either. She's a "villain" but rather a loose one, and after saving her I got to know why. If anything I left feeling rather pity for her.
I guess saving Brianna is not an option depending on the path. Depending on how you see it, I probably did something wrong (or right) and saved her. Not by option, the VN took the MC there and I had no agency over that decision.

I don't regret it tho, her background and how she explained her story toned down the dislike I initially had for her.
Sure is nice to bring MC back to total neophite sub zero humbling status with every other update.

When will this cycle of MC forgetting his whole practice in the occult, only to get saved by deux ex machina overpowered peers or otherworldly entities stop?

Last edited:
5.00 star(s) 8 Votes