Daz Strange bug in Daz. All door frames in the house turned into cubes

lawfullame

Game Developer
Aug 6, 2019
I'm rebuilding one house with primitives and a geometry editor. Door frames are part of the original walls. Using geometry editors I extracted the door frame from a copy of one wall. I use these door frames in my custom walls made of primitives. One day I loaded the scene with the house and found that all the door frames I had created had turned into cubes.
Do you know what the cause of such a bug is so I can avoid it next time?
Could it be that the geometry editor has corrupt geometry and it has not been saved to the file correctly, although at first glance it looked okay?

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
Did you perhaps change any of the settings as to where your content is located? Or move a file that might be being referenced from the scene that's now broken? The "grey boxes" usually happens when Daz can't locate the file(s) that have the geometry in them.

Note that there are certain kinds of files that don't work well unless they're located under one of the "Runtime" or "data" directories. It has something to do with they way that Daz stores paths and asset ID's inside .duf files.

lawfullame

Game Developer
Aug 6, 2019
Did you perhaps change any of the settings as to where your content is located? Or move a file that might be being referenced from the scene that's now broken? The "grey boxes" usually happens when Daz can't locate the file(s) that have the geometry in them.

Note that there are certain kinds of files that don't work well unless they're located under one of the "Runtime" or "data" directories. It has something to do with they way that Daz stores paths and asset ID's inside .duf files.

I didn't change any of these settings. In addition, in the older backup of the house door frames are fine.

Powerline75

Nov 7, 2019
I didn't change any of these settings. In addition, in the older backup of the house door frames are fine.
I can only think of one thing here. By editing the geometry of the door frames, and adding/merging/attaching/parenting them to your wall prim, the original information of the geometry shape for the door frames got lost. As long as it was still in RAM, it was all good, once you saved, closed the suite, and tried to retrieve it later, that part was lost, hence the current issue

lawfullame

Game Developer
Aug 6, 2019
I can only think of one thing here. By editing the geometry of the door frames, and adding/merging/attaching/parenting them to your wall prim, the original information of the geometry shape for the door frames got lost. As long as it was still in RAM, it was all good, once you saved, closed the suite, and tried to retrieve it later, that part was lost, hence the current issue
Strangely, in older backup that contains an older version of the house with fewer modifications, my geometry modifications aren't corrupt. I was doing the same thing with the modified objects as in the corrupt file (copy, translation, rotation, parent assignment.)

It is a geometry editor in Daz a tool which is generally buggy and where the risk of similar problems is high, so is it better to avoid it?

Powerline75

Nov 7, 2019
Strangely, in older backup that contains an older version of the house with fewer modifications, my geometry modifications aren't corrupt. I was doing the same thing with the modified objects as in the corrupt file (copy, translation, rotation, parent assignment.)

It is a geometry editor in Daz a tool which is generally buggy and where the risk of similar problems is high, so is it better to avoid it?
I can only guess the older modifications were not as drastic? In any case, I don't think the geometry editor is itself a bugfest, no, but, how we save the edited result can lead to bugs and glitches. I'd suggest to export as .obj file, and do the editing part in hexagon, or blender, then save. If you do the settings properly, and retain the specific UV information, you'll have no trouble importing, and applying the correct maps/shaders afterwards, and, as it's an external .obj file, DAZ will have no problem displaying it as it is supposed to be.

lawfullame

Game Developer
Aug 6, 2019
I can only guess the older modifications were not as drastic? In any case, I don't think the geometry editor is itself a bugfest, no, but, how we save the edited result can lead to bugs and glitches. I'd suggest to export as .obj file, and do the editing part in hexagon, or blender, then save. If you do the settings properly, and retain the specific UV information, you'll have no trouble importing, and applying the correct maps/shaders afterwards, and, as it's an external .obj file, DAZ will have no problem displaying it as it is supposed to be.
All geometry modifications were already in the older file. The corrupt file just contained more copies of the objects and some new primitives + different parenting.

Powerline75

Nov 7, 2019
All geometry modifications were already in the older file. The corrupt file just contained more copies of the objects and some new primitives + different parenting.
I think you have your answer right here... more copies, and changes to parenting. It's not a DAZ specific either, it's common in Poser as well. The way geometry information is stored, is broken into two ways. First, there's the raw .obj file somewhere in the runtime structure, usually hidden somewhere in a "geometry" or similar folder (Poser had a geometry folder, not sure how DAZ stores those raw files), and the other, the .pz3 or .duf file stores the geometry specifics and relations. Where it's parented, where it parents upon load, what are the compatible UVs, and so on...
By applying more copies, and I'll go as far as guess you copied the already pre-modified copies, and changing the parenting, you made a geometry that has no placeholders, so the suite can read what it's supposed to look like, where, and how, it parents, and what it's UVs are meant to be. It knows it is geometry, but, from there, there's no real placeholder, as to what it is, and, it defaults to the basic primitive shape, the cube.

lawfullame

Game Developer
Aug 6, 2019
Now I tried again to copy the door frames and change the parents and after loat the bug did not appear. It probably happens only sometimes, but I'm not able to replicate the steps that led to the bug.

Powerline75

Nov 7, 2019
I still go with my "better safe than sorry" workaround. Export as obj, edit externally, and re-import. Just make sure you have "original maps", "retain UVs" checked during export, to be able to apply shaders later on. I'm currently working in exporting a scene, to render in Poser, just for the fun of it (or because I'm a masochist, I guess?)