HTML Suggestions on how to make games like apocalyptic world and Masters of raana

Kieron1998

Mar 10, 2023
I know that these games are made in twine using the sugarcube engine(pre-set) but I wanna know how did they manage to make it so open ended that you could do anything and be anything you want. I wanna know whether these games are completely build on javascript and if so, are they any tutorials online to build games of this magnitude. (Dan Cox's YouTube channel is best for twine beginners and i watched all of the tutorials but he didn't go in depth with the world building aspect and stuff.) or it's simply that these devs have mastered javascript( could be the main reason). I wanna learn and make one, have tinkered around with twine alot but don't have skills(I want to increase my skills but im unable to find any indepth source/tutorials about game creation in twine using sugarcube)to make something this excellent. So any suggestion/opinion would be appreciated. Thank you.

LuxoGames

Mar 16, 2023
I think the most useful skill for this task would be a general knowledge of programming/game development. Maybe you could try learning a bit about JavaScript and try to use that knowledge in your twine projects. You could also pick up some basic ideas about making games from tutorials that are not about twine, but still show how games are programmed in a more general sense.

This could be a good start:

Kieron1998

Mar 10, 2023
I think the most useful skill for this task would be a general knowledge of programming/game development. Maybe you could try learning a bit about JavaScript and try to use that knowledge in your twine projects. You could also pick up some basic ideas about making games from tutorials that are not about twine, but still show how games are programmed in a more general sense.

Thank you for providing this video.

Reactions: GaGumps

GaGumps

Game Developer
Nov 1, 2017

Definitely agree with this. Take a bit of time to get familiar with this and your game's quality will show.

Reactions: Kieron1998

Kieron1998

Mar 10, 2023
Definitely agree with this. Take a bit of time to get familiar with this and your game's quality will show.
Yeah, it's all trail and error i guess. Until and unless I try it myself i won't learn a thing. I spent the whole of today going through various documentations about sugarcube variables, Marco's , custom Marco's, API's and some javascript. Also going through different games html files help to understand more about the concepts and the systems they used to create their game mechanics.

GaGumps

Game Developer
Nov 1, 2017
Yeah, it's all trail and error i guess. Until and unless I try it myself i won't learn a thing. I spent the whole of today going through various documentations about sugarcube variables, Marco's , custom Marco's, API's and some javascript. Also going through different games html files help to understand more about the concepts and the systems they used to create their game mechanics.
Yeah, there you go. Honestly, just set out and start doing it. You'll realize what you need, and then in turn you'll learn it, and the information will only stack.

Spiderling77

Aug 17, 2018
Remember there is not a magical solution to get a shiton of content out of thin air, everything requires hard work. Even procedural-generated content required a lot of time to fine-tune and debug to make it decent.