Suggestions to game uploaders

megaplayboy10k

Apr 16, 2018
Just a few thoughts on making new game uploads less frustrating for folks here:
1. Include an estimate on how much gameplay, in terms of minutes/hours there is in the released version. Including how much NEW gameplay there is would be a big plus.
2. If you're the developer posting your game for feedback, including roughly how far along your overall game is, percentage wise or fractionally(e.g., 50% or "halfway done").
3. Include the dev/game's native language, so we can temper our expectations re initial dialogue/writing.
4. Generally, if the game is a linear story, a "linear" tag is likely appropriate. Similarly, if the game is open-ended, "sandbox" might be appropriate. Tags for "minigames", "grinding/upgrading" and "RPG" would be helpful too.
5. If you're a dev and have a general sense of the pace at which you are actually going to update your game, then post it(e.g., "updates twice a month", "updates once a month", "updates twice every 3 months", "updates every 2 months", or "infrequent updates")

Reactions: Daxter250

Ouro-Chan

Mar 6, 2018
This would really help improve quality of life and make it much easier to gauge if a game is worth your time. I think if you want people to play your game, knowing these things is too be expected.

Gomly1980

Forum Fanatic
Jul 4, 2017
The game length one has been rejected multiple times.

It's impossible to say, we all play things at a different speed.

Imagine how much backlash a dev would get if he said he 10 hours worth of content and people were flying through it in 1. They would be raging like fuck.

It's impossible to stick to regular upload schedules. Anything could happen. Again the forums would rage if a dev says once a month and he gets ill one month and can't upload, it also knocks on meaning future uploads will be late.

Same for how far along development is. Anything could happen to change that.

Your asking for specifics in an industry where specifics change constantly which is why they don't already do that.

Papa Ernie

Squirrel!?
Uploader
Donor
Dec 4, 2016
1. Include an estimate on how much gameplay, in terms of minutes/hours there is in the released version. Including how much NEW gameplay there is would be a big plus.
2. If you're the developer posting your game for feedback, including roughly how far along your overall game is, percentage wise or fractionally(e.g., 50% or "halfway done").
3. Include the dev/game's native language, so we can temper our expectations re initial dialogue/writing.
4. Generally, if the game is a linear story, a "linear" tag is likely appropriate. Similarly, if the game is open-ended, "sandbox" might be appropriate. Tags for "minigames", "grinding/upgrading" and "RPG" would be helpful too.
5. If you're a dev and have a general sense of the pace at which you are actually going to update your game, then post it(e.g., "updates twice a month", "updates once a month", "updates twice every 3 months", "updates every 2 months", or "infrequent updates")
This would really help improve quality of life and make it much easier to gauge if a game is worth your time. I think if you want people to play your game, knowing these things is too be expected.
And uploaders, it'd really help if you came to my house, installed the game on my computer, read the text out loud and jerked me off at the same time. Thanks!

P.S. I have trouble with tying my shoes, wiping my ass, and chewing bubble gum while I walk. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks again!

Wow! @Gomly1980 is being more mature than me. Good job, Dude!

redknight00

I want to break free
Staff member
Modder
Apr 30, 2017
How about you play every game and update in the site and give us detailed information on every game?

Reactions: Gomly1980

GAB

Salty Montrealer
Donor
May 10, 2017
I'm surprised no uploaders commented on this yet

1. we could try and do this for visual novel who already have that information otherwise many game devs do not say how many hours of gameplay there is unless we play the game ourselves but we won't spend our time testing everygame
2. that's for the game dev to decide. uploaders won't force them to do anything on the threads
3. too much information research for little outcome
4. There is a tag for this called kinetic novel, otherwise for more tags I'd suggest making a support ticket for it
5. this information can usually be found in the developper website (for exemple, SunsetRiders, the developper of decided to start doing bi-monthly updates but mods said it's not a permanent thing or a recurring procedure)

megaplayboy10k

Apr 16, 2018
The game length one has been rejected multiple times.

It's impossible to say, we all play things at a different speed.

Imagine how much backlash a dev would get if he said he 10 hours worth of content and people were flying through it in 1. They would be raging like fuck.

It's impossible to stick to regular upload schedules. Anything could happen. Again the forums would rage if a dev says once a month and he gets ill one month and can't upload, it also knocks on meaning future uploads will be late.

Same for how far along development is. Anything could happen to change that.

Your asking for specifics in an industry where specifics change constantly which is why they don't already do that.
As to estimating game length, a simple range, allowing for differences in play style, would work just fine. Mostly this request is directed at devs posting first releases. Knowing in advance whether there's 5-15 minutes, or 5 hours of gameplay is helpful.
It is true that devs can change their conception of how much they want to put in their games, but I think they started with a game plan, story outline, etc, and so they have some idea of how many boxes they have checked off and how many more to go. The update suggestion was not for firm guarantees, but more for tempering expectations. If you are doing things solo, I'd expect that "shit happens". If you are part of a dev team pulling in thousands a month, I'd expect any highly funded project to be working hard to stay on schedule.

I have played dozens of these games in just a couple months. I don't make the requests as a lazy, overdemanding player, but a reasonable one. I understand the creative process is chaotic, but I also understand the end user experience is important as well.

jande21

I AM THE LAW
Respected User
Former Staff
Oct 19, 2016
Dude you get this shit for free, and us workers on this site do this for free and in our free time. So no, I very much doubt we will go about doing this, especially asking devs to put in info for a pirate site.

Also read the thread, there is always people in the thread that brings up what you're asking for.

Reactions: N7 and Papa Ernie

Retro

Retired
Former Staff
Sep 7, 2017
1. I don't play most games let alone all of the ones I upload so thats impossible to determine

2. n/a I'm not a dev

3. while I think that would be helpful, its often not known or available so making it a requirement for the OP would be impossible.

4. not going to bother debating tags, the staff determine those

5. frequency of updates would be stupid since many devs dont have a set schedule

Reactions: DarthSeduction

Gomly1980

Forum Fanatic
Jul 4, 2017
I don't make the requests as a lazy, overdemanding player, but a reasonable one. I understand the creative process is chaotic, but I also understand the end user experience is important as well.
It boils down to this, it's a pirate site where uploaders grab whatever game they can to share.

You are expecting them to play every game to give you details they don't have.

Very few devs upload their own stuff here and those that do post here aren't about to make your life easier considering we're stealing their shit.

CyberScherzo

Game Developer
Feb 23, 2018
I did this once.

I made a quick little game jam game that had an expected playtime of about an hour. Every other comment was people chomping at the bit to tell me how wrong my estimate was, from "Pfft, this only took me 10 minutes, you liar!" to " This took me 5 whole hours, you liar!"

An estimate isn't really worth all that much.

As for the latter suggestion though, don't most early access style games that update with new content as they're made include a changelog with each update? I suppose there are probably a lot of amateur indie projects that don't bother, but otherwise that's standard industry practice for anyone at least somewhat professional. When you post new updates, you list what the updates actually are.

megaplayboy10k

Apr 16, 2018
It boils down to this, it's a pirate site where uploaders grab whatever game they can to share.

You are expecting them to play every game to give you details they don't have.

Very few devs upload their own stuff here and those that do post here aren't about to make your life easier considering we're stealing their shit.
If you upload a game, YES, I expect that you have played it. Crazy thought, I know. Uploading a bunch of games you haven't played makes no sense to me. What if you upload something that, playing it later for the first time, seems utter shite to you? I'd feel dumb uploading a game that I hadn't played and, upon playing, didn't like.

Thrownaway13

Lvl 12 - Cutie
Respected User
Former Staff
May 27, 2017
Hello Megaplayboy10k,

I wont address these point by point but will address your post as a whole. To give you an idea I have gone through from jr uploader to Uploader to moderator and have been doing this awhile now.

As stated by @jande21 we are an all volunteer group here. All of the the people you see keeping the site going are donating their time to do so. We see a lot of post like this fairly frequently and you may think some of us react kind of harshly but you have to understand that we have a relatively thankless job. The system we currently have in place is a happy medium to keep uploaders and users as happy as possible.

Uploaders generally don't have time to play all of the games they upload. I'd say of all of the games I've uploaded I may have played 5%. I am sorry if that seems wrong to you but we are here to make sure threads are made so people can get discussing and enjoying content as quickly as possible. There maybe some frustration from users with limited bandwidth who might download a game that end up being shorter then they thought and that is regrettable and I am sorry if anyone has been in that situation.

The current format for uploading games is here to stay. I will echo staff and say we will never force uploaders to play content they upload. It keeps them happy, it keeps the site running smooth. It is also a happy medium for our vast amount of users.

Thanks and happy gaming.

Gomly1980

Forum Fanatic
Jul 4, 2017
If you upload a game, YES, I expect that you have played it. Crazy thought, I know. Uploading a bunch of games you haven't played makes no sense to me. What if you upload something that, playing it later for the first time, seems utter shite to you? I'd feel dumb uploading a game that I hadn't played and, upon playing, didn't like.
Not how it works.

There are plenty of games uploaded that are complete shite, doesn't matter.

People do this for free to bring content to people that can't or won't pay for it and you are trying to make it into a job for them, that also isn't how it works.

megaplayboy10k

Apr 16, 2018
Not how it works.

There are plenty of games uploaded that are complete shite, doesn't matter.

People do this for free to bring content to people that can't or won't pay for it and you are trying to make it into a job for them, that also isn't how it works.
I'm suggesting/requesting, not demanding. I'm talking about information that would, imo, be helpful.
The only venue to "pay" for the non-eroge games uploaded appears to be Patreon...where you are, up until project completion, paying for an incomplete product. Often when the game is completed, it is then available at the devs site as a free download. So patrons are paying to see the game early and while in development. Little wonder there are prominent pirate sites when that is the commercial model.

megaplayboy10k

Apr 16, 2018
Hello Megaplayboy10k,

I wont address these point by point but will address your post as a whole. To give you an idea I have gone through from jr uploader to Uploader to moderator and have been doing this awhile now.

As stated by @jande21 we are an all volunteer group here. All of the the people you see keeping the site going are donating their time to do so. We see a lot of post like this fairly frequently and you may think some of us react kind of harshly but you have to understand that we have a relatively thankless job. The system we currently have in place is a happy medium to keep uploaders and users as happy as possible.

Uploaders generally don't have time to play all of the games they upload. I'd say of all of the games I've uploaded I may have played 5%. I am sorry if that seems wrong to you but we are here to make sure threads are made so people can get discussing and enjoying content as quickly as possible. There maybe some frustration from users with limited bandwidth who might download a game that end up being shorter then they thought and that is regrettable and I am sorry if anyone has been in that situation.

The current format for uploading games is here to stay. I will echo staff and say we will never force uploaders to play content they upload. It keeps them happy, it keeps the site running smooth. It is also a happy medium for our vast amount of users.

Thanks and happy gaming.
Thanks for your insight.

thecardinal

Latina midget, sub to my Onlyfans - cash for gash
Game Developer
Jul 28, 2017
As a developer, the only part I like is the linear or sandbox game style.

As for the rest:
1. It depends on how much dialogue you skip or if you get lost.
2. I have no idea. If I really enjoy making the game and it has fans, why stop if I have stories left to tell?
3. Plenty of native English speakers are terrible at grammar, and plenty of non-native English speakers are good at it.
5. Most devs try to do monthly updates since Patreon is monthly. But I don't like setting dates or timetables. But maybe a list of previous release dates so we know the history on the dev.

megaplayboy10k

Apr 16, 2018
As a developer, the only part I like is the linear or sandbox game style.

As for the rest:
1. It depends on how much dialogue you skip or if you get lost.
2. I have no idea. If I really enjoy making the game and it has fans, why stop if I have stories left to tell?
3. Plenty of native English speakers are terrible at grammar, and plenty of non-native English speakers are good at it.
5. Most devs try to do monthly updates since Patreon is monthly. But I don't like setting dates or timetables. But maybe a list of previous release dates so we know the history on the dev.
Those are fair points. I would add that some of this info could be added some time after uploading, and if people who play the game provide the information vis a vis play time, for example, it nets out the same.
I'd note that about half the uploaded games, if you look at thread searches/tags, are listed as "completed" games, so to the extent games are completed, somebody knew they were done developing the game :) I suspect that if you're close to being done, or have a long way to go, you know that too. I'm not requesting precision, just a little spitballing.

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
One of the things I don't see in many uploads threads is an 'updated on' date, or a date on the changelog info when that is included.

If (as an uploader, etc.) you've just edited the thread to add a changelog, add a new version for download, or similar such, yeah this info is helpful to those of us that are wondering how recently the game was updated: i.e. is this a new update or an older one.