Suit Yourself - PATREON WANTS YOU TO PAY THE FEES... NOT US.

treos

Oct 19, 2017

thanks suit...guess getting up early wasn't that important. darn time zone differences. >.>

this doesn't really affect me since i don't use patreon (hey, if i had the money and all that...) but i figured this would be worth sharing as a heads up for anyone who does use the site.

looks like content creators will no longer have to cover any service fees (i assume that's related to the pledge/donations) while those donating the money to content creators will now have to deal with a 2.9% + $0.35 service fee.

and this change takes place on december 18 so you have until then to adjust your payments as needed or...cease donating if necessary. :/

Re-4Andrew

Aug 4, 2017
Is the original percentage fee stilll being deducted from each creators funding? I don't trust site like this, they post Term of Service, there's a difference in what they CLAIM and what is actually going on. If your just a member everything is behind a paywall so you have to donate in order to see anything, and thats laughable considering they want any-&-everything they consider 'taboo content' to be banned from their site.

This will hurt funding for creators, they will lose out when players/donators get tired of paying for missing or lack of content that was suppose to be an original vision of the developer! There are other sites out there, but unless they lite-up in popularity I fear a lot of the games listed on F95 will be abandoned, or you'll have to wait 2-4-6 months for any updates.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheonS

gunderson

Aug 17, 2016
Bahahahahaha!

Wow. Just...wow. I only recently saw this email, and I gotta say: I have now fucking unsubscribed from every fucking project I'd been attached to thanks to this bullshit. They want ME to pay the service and processing fees? For giving somebody ELSE money? Goddamn morons.

Did they make a bet on how much money they could lose by the end of the calendar year? Well, it's gonna be a lot!

Side note: I don't actually want to do this. I like the projects I support. I want them to continue. I appreciate the fact that we've had a lot of good shit in the last couple years thanks to people being able to get reliable funding for alternative projects. But Patreon needs to get some bad Goddamned press and the way to do that is take away their money and make it clear why it happened, both to them and to the public.

Reactions: virtuvoid

Mordar

Jun 20, 2017
On a $1 pledge, for example, creators currently get 80-95 cents, or 80-95 percent. The new system would require a patron to pay $1.38 for a $1 pledge, with 95 cents (69 percent) going to the creator. The big winner in that scenario is Patreon, which goes from receiving between 5 and 20 cents on a $1 pledge to receiving 43 cents.

Patreon sells their incease in fees wihout dooin the math right.

I took down all my small pledges already.

Reactions: virtuvoid and Henz

tuna

Oct 17, 2017
I'd be willing to pay, I just don't like how they handle this. "hey you gotta pay or else". Yeah fuck you too, I'm out.

Sorry creators, you need to spend some time to create your own sites & subs model. Any pro on the matter pls help them out.

Onysko

Jun 5, 2017
Nope. Just no. Not gonna happen. Not gonna take part in this shitty business practice.
They are making a huge mistake and they will end up losing A LOT because of it.
I'm out, if they retract this decision, then I'll come back.

treos

Oct 19, 2017
yeah, figured this news wouldn't go over well. at least it's not quite as bad as what non-NSFW gaming has been going through lately what with the loot boxes and all. well...kinda, this news is bad for both creators and those who do/don't donate.

ea, dice, take 2, activision, blizzard...seems like all of them are really upping their game in terms of greed this year. and i'll no longer be buying any games made by them again (same for nintendo but for different reasons. i'm not PAYING to emulate old games you stopped making decades ago. especially not after you went and released those glorified emulators and went after ROM sites at the same time.).

this has been a bad year for gamers in general. especially these past few months. :(

Kellan

Aug 5, 2016
Yeah no thanks..deleted all but one of my pledges after reading that email. Gonna suck to be a creator on patreon come january.

xןʞ

I trolled so N7 could soar.
Staff member
Donor
Jul 19, 2017
Honestly it is gonna suck for the creators of all content in the long run(not just the adult stuff they are already trying to get rid of that we like here.)

Eventually all these horrible decisions in a row by Patreon are gonna make potential customers jump ship en mass and it will become a ghost town and completely fuck over every content creator who actually depended on it who wouldn't have many other options for acquiring funds for their projects.

Bad decisions by higher ups in the company in an effort to advance the current product they offer that isn't particularly broken have doomed far bigger internet related companies than Patreon before.

Reactions: virtuvoid

baka

Engaged Member
Modder
Oct 13, 2016
as usual, all good sites, good intentions, good whatever, will eventually get greedy, corrupted and just assholes.
i really hope all patrons stops, and ask the developers to find another site or another way to receive donations.

redwind21

Aug 16, 2017
When was Patreon taken over by space aliens? It sounds like the entire Patreon gig is becoming a total sham. If everyone left, they'd either change, or shut down. Maybe that's what is needed here, a big "I'm outta here!" protest by creators and supporters. I could be wrong, but something's got to give.

U

User_51567

Ah well,
It only really sucks if you are a low tier Sub.

But if you are a Patreon for 10+ Devs and are paying already around 150 Euro's every month to devs... Well not much changes for me... Maybe a couple bucks more.

Sucks if you are a low 1 Dollar tier sub, but then again...You are only a Low Dollar tier sub...
And i can understand that Patreon wants to get rid of them..
But i(and a lot of people with me who are paying top dollar to some devs), will continue to do so.

So i expect that this is not going to be a problem for Patreon, not as much as the Banning Devs that is going on for the last couple weeks... (But even that is almost passed because there are some good counter measssures of some devs)

baka

Engaged Member
Modder
Oct 13, 2016
unfortunately they know exactly what they are doing, they know people will complain, but they have now enough members to do this without losing too much, and eventually after some time, people will forget and get used to it.
i hope not, but its not often people get together and do anything about it.

U

User_51567

unfortunately they know exactly what they are doing, they know people will complain, but they have now enough members to do this without losing too much, and eventually after some time, people will forget and get used to it.
You are describing 99% of the people on this earth...

When something happens they don't like.
Complain...Complain...Complain.
Look for people with the same complains on the internet.

And do nothing about it.
If only a small % of people would actually do something about the things they complain about... This shit world would be a very...very...different place (And i'm not saying it would be better or worse).

But most people are Lazy...:)

Reactions: redwind21

treos

Oct 19, 2017
as usual, all good sites, good intentions, good whatever, will eventually get greedy, corrupted and just assholes.
i really hope all patrons stops, and ask the developers to find another site or another way to receive donations.
i don't know much about it but perhaps they could look into that hatreon site?

and that sounds like what happened with the star wars battlefront II subreddit. unfortunately, not even 3 weeks after the big outrage began, it ended and the people on said subreddit went back to attacking anyone who tried to fight back against EA and the loot boxes BS.

here's a line some defenders and supporters of loot boxes like to say: "Fuck you for wanting people to not have fun!"

i think the outrage started dying down when the mods of the subreddit started going after people talking about AFK Farmers (basically, an AFK Farmer is someone who joins a multiplayer match then uses rubburbands to keep the joysticks pointed at each other thus causing their characters to run in circles in-game). so now, not only is everything back to "business as usual" but they're going after people who are literally doing nothing more than going AFK in a multiplayer game. claiming it to be cheating or an exploit of some kind.

it's only an exploit because EA rewards credits at the end of a multiplayer match regardless of whether or not you did any fighting or got any kills.

so yeah...you might see some outrage over this patreon stuff for a little while but it'll probably die off within 1-3 weeks time unfortunately.

as for the "mass exodus" idea. that...might work but if i may use furaffinity as an example, it might also result in absolutely nothing useful happening depending on whether or not the patreon staff give a fuck about it.

Reactions: redwind21

redwind21

Aug 16, 2017
i don't know much about it but perhaps they could look into that hatreon site?

and that sounds like what happened with the star wars battlefront II subreddit. unfortunately, not even 3 weeks after the big outrage began, it ended and the people on said subreddit went back to attacking anyone who tried to fight back against EA and the loot boxes BS.

here's a line some defenders and supporters of loot boxes like to say: "Fuck you for wanting people to not have fun!"

i think the outrage started dying down when the mods of the subreddit started going after people talking about AFK Farmers (basically, an AFK Farmer is someone who joins a multiplayer match then uses rubburbands to keep the joysticks pointed at each other thus causing their characters to run in circles in-game). so now, not only is everything back to "business as usual" but they're going after people who are literally doing nothing more than going AFK in a multiplayer game. claiming it to be cheating or an exploit of some kind.

it's only an exploit because EA rewards credits at the end of a multiplayer match regardless of whether or not you did any fighting or got any kills.

so yeah...you might see some outrage over this patreon stuff for a little while but it'll probably die off within 1-3 weeks time unfortunately.

as for the "mass exodus" idea. that...might work but if i may use furaffinity as an example, it might also result in absolutely nothing useful happening depending on whether or not the patreon staff give a fuck about it.

Good reasons to hate MMO's. There are a lot of good ones out there to be sure, but if you're a beginner, the more experienced players won't tolerate you, and be patient with you. They start cursing and swear at you for being there in their way. Well people have to learn the ropes somehow, don't they? The point of playing any game is to have fun with it in the first place. You don't play MMO's for some needledick with a big ass character to come along and ream you out. But I'm off topic here. Maybe the best solution is to ditch Patreon all together, and start something new. But how many creators would be willing to do that? Especially the ones with a high volume support intake? They've got their bread and butter, and I doubt they want to turn it into toast.

Mordar

Jun 20, 2017
Patreon's entire market niche was as a means to avoid the type of fee they're introducing. Many creators do have paypal direct links you can support them through. But paypal charges a fee on each payment. The purpose of patreon was to bundle all your contributions into a single charge once per month and to pay out the creators in one payment per month to explicitly avoid those overlapping fees in addition to having one manageable, consolidated list.

Patreon got bought out by VCs who want a bigger return though, so they're framing this extra surcharge as helping creators while pocketing the increased fees... They've completely abandoned their reason for existing in the quest for more money.

Lynn

May 21, 2017
You are describing 99% of the people on this earth...

When something happens they don't like.
Complain...Complain...Complain.
Look for people with the same complains on the internet.

And do nothing about it.
If only a small % of people would actually do something about the things they complain about... This shit world would be a very...very...different place (And i'm not saying it would be better or worse).

But most people are Lazy...:)
That's good philosophy, but in this case, it has no real application. When it comes to the consumers and their supposed "powers to do things", they only have one : choosing between buying or not buying. This is like voting, but with your wallet.
The only way you can make a firm understand you disagree with their changes of politics is by simply stop giving them money. Which is what people on this thread seem to be doing already. Beyond that, what do you think we can do, march on the streets everywhere to say "Patreon, we don't like that thing you're doing"?

It's funny how you're writing this in the middle of the whole "save net neutrality" craze, which is definitely proving you wrong. "99%" of the people are not simply standing by, and they're already voting before their wallet is at stake.

Nightcrawler

Carpe Diem
Donor
May 23, 2017
all the angst let me take you on an Economics trip. All suppliers /retailers have to pay a transaction fee on credit/debit cards also on paypal .Now look at the big hitters Lets use Walmart as an example. Loaf of bread they can add a dime on no one notices.Milk sugar etc all the essentials basically.But doing this they can absorb the transaction costs of someone buying a carton of milk on their card.Now go to the smaller retailer down the road buy your pint of milk on the card they will charge a 50 cent transaction fee.With me so far.So my guess is patreon have looked at transaction fee's same as retailers hence the reason the higher you pledge the less you pay as a smaller pledge of lets say a dollar they have to pay 50cents out of that dollar in transaction fee's.WILL REITERATE THESE ARE NOT EXACT FIGURES JUST AN EXAMPLE .