j4yj4m

Forum Fanatic
Jun 19, 2017
hmm sounds like you left out the french language teacher.
I don't think we know anything special about her story right now - at least nothing that I would call "fetish content". Yes, she's a milf and a bit more dominant/corrupt than some other characters but that's nothing really special I guess.

muttdoggy

Dogerator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2016
Has anyone forgotten that a bunch of snowflakes reported DarkCookie and got the Patreon Trust and Safety Team to shut his site down for a few days and now he's gotta redo a bunch of writing to get it in line with their wishes? That takes some time.
You should consider yourselves lucky that he doesn't hide the game behind a pay wall. And he that didn't say "Ok! I'm cutting content out!" and release it sooner. You know what he did? He's going to keep releasing it for free and he's going to keep all content in it - He has to change thousands of lines of code and that includes refactoring variables since they are attached to the name of the character. That's gotta be tested more thoroughly than before to make sure it works and that it's relatively bug-free. They might also need to check to make sure that if someone (some crazy dude) decides to modify the game, that it can be done safely.
To the people screaming "milker", you sound pretty angry and uninformed. He's not a milker- he's releasing it for free.

Zaraki12

Dec 17, 2016
I would also like to add that the development of this version also includes two big groups of coding that many supporters and non-supportes demanded, the first is the save compatibility between different versions, there's a coder only devoted to that. And also an unlockable gallery that will come in the form of a "Cookie Jar"
Not to mention that when asked, supporters decided for the long development of all four teachers instead of the original two.
So yeah... when someone says that "I feel sorry for the patreons..." It's more discouraging that those guys aren't able to scroll for two minutes in DC patreon, read the public news were all this is explained and peacefully wait that those guys giving them a free fapping material... Just saying... :test3:

Stay Frosty

Jul 17, 2017
I would also like to add that the development of this version also includes two big groups of coding that many supporters and non-supportes demanded, the first is the save compatibility between different versions, there's a coder only devoted to that. And also an unlockable gallery that will come in the form of a "Cookie Jar"
Not to mention that when asked, supporters decided for the long development of all four teachers instead of the original two.
So yeah... when someone says that "I feel sorry for the patreons..." It's more discouraging that those guys aren't able to scroll for two minutes in DC patreon, read the public news were all this is explained and peacefully wait that those guys giving them a free fapping material... Just saying... :test3:
The only thing I have to say is...damn...:OhMyGoodness:

Reactions: KittyKat007

j4yj4m

Forum Fanatic
Jun 19, 2017
Though save compatibility won't be a thing this update - unless plans have changed and I've missed that. If we are lucky we'll get it in 0.16. Right now it's indeed more about cleaning up the code to lay the foundation for further improvements.

Else it's not really true that he planned 2 teachers at first. He always wanted to introduce 4 but realised mid january that it's going to take a very long time and thus wanted to cut the update back to Bisette and Okita. Later he changed his mind again and now we'll get all four of them. I'd guess the fact that saves aren't compatible yet will have played a role here as well. In the current situation fewer large updates are just better than many small ones where fans have to replay the whole game again and again.

j4yj4m

Forum Fanatic
Jun 19, 2017
They should have prepared for the inevitable Patreon interference instead of just ignoring it until they couldn't (page was taken down). I don't know why DC didn't think to start implementing the steps to "remove" all the incest content as soon as just about every other major game that featured it was forced to remove it entirely.

He should have been re-hauling the code during the development of 0.14.5, he just didn't. And now we've got the longest update time (over 3 months now) with the added bonus of however long the de-incest modifications will take.
Well, to be honest there isn't really a way to implement incest removal without basically removing it immiediately and make the game somewhat worse (as it will be now). Any other preparation would have been wasted time since it would have to be redone/rewritten every update. So it's either a week more now or it would have been a week more then and it would have ruined the mom update completely. So we should be somewhat happy that he didn't do it. And there aren't that many major games who were actually really challenged on that topic. DmD and BB got deleted and many others operate in grey zones and still risk being taken down in case patreon really looks into what they are doing (the Twist is a good example here). Since DC is still one of the biggest NSFW content producers on patreon I'm sure that's not an option.

When it comes to cleaning up the code, that's not DC's job anymore. He hasn't coded anyting for quite some time and was now finally able to hire someone who will clean things up in addition to the usual progress. If he had done it before getting one additional coder it simply would have taken a lot longer to release 14.5.

Edit: What I'm basically saying is that a given amount of work simply takes time that has to be invested at some point and all we are talking about is when to do so.

Glaoui

Donor
Apr 8, 2017
Has anyone forgotten that a bunch of snowflakes reported DarkCookie and got the Patreon Trust and Safety Team to shut his site down for a few days and now he's gotta redo a bunch of writing to get it in line with their wishes? That takes some time.
You should consider yourselves lucky that he doesn't hide the game behind a pay wall. And he that didn't say "Ok! I'm cutting content out!" and release it sooner. You know what he did? He's going to keep releasing it for free and he's going to keep all content in it - He has to change thousands of lines of code and that includes refactoring variables since they are attached to the name of the character. That's gotta be tested more thoroughly than before to make sure it works and that it's relatively bug-free. They might also need to check to make sure that if someone (some crazy dude) decides to modify the game, that it can be done safely.
To the people screaming "milker", you sound pretty angry and uninformed. He's not a milker- he's releasing it for free.
FFS, thank you!

TastySnickers

Aug 14, 2017
Really there is literally no reason to get angry/frustrated with DarkCookie. If you do not pledge him your money, why are you all getting so aggresive? He updates and releases Summertime Saga for free and gives constant updates about the state of the next update. Dark Cookie didn't forced and won't force you to play his game, so give him a break.

j4yj4m

Forum Fanatic
Jun 19, 2017
Or, imagine this, he removes incest and then a nefarious, anonymous modder with a fondness towards cookies uploads a mod to Lewd Patcher.
Lewd patcher is a pretty bad option if you can't promote it. He'd have to rely on forums like this and have to rewrite vast amounts of text/poses every time he releases and update. I can understand that he doesn't want to do that and tried to keep the game going as long as possible. It's completely unprofessional and nothing you can build a serious business on. He's in it for the long run, wants to release more games after SS is done and there is really no need to risk a lot of that by trying to cheat patreon's system.

Now he went for the "due process" option, will keep a clean sheet and at least has a really plausible excuse as to why there are "fan made patches" since there is obviously no other way for fans to get their stuff anymore.

A certain game that is banned on this forum does not even allow you to do anything when you start it up and openly states that you'll need to download a patch to play.
That's excatly how you get your game banned from patreon. If you try to circumvent their TOS after they checked the game they seem to show little mercy. Just as Dating my Daughter and Big Brother had to be removed after they basically tried that and patreon didn't offer any compromise anymore.
If they can get away with something as blatant as that DC can easily get away with plausible deniability and blaming his crazy fanbase who made an unsupported mod for his game.
I'm sure they can get away with it because patreon didn't call them out until now. As said, DC has the most NSFW patreons and there is no way someone wouldn't tell them that he's activtly working against them. It could work but it's a huge risk. I'm sure he'll support lewd patches as far as he can though.

Radoslaw Wolf

May 23, 2017
Which don't really apply anyway since the game is free and all you'll get for your money is the right to vote every few months and a few additional spoliers. DC will make a good part of his money by being a nice guy who streams and who is likeable enough to spend a few bucks a month just because of that.

The main problem of SS is simply that it's making "too much money" to objectivly match the speed in which DC can draw. But that isn't really DC's problem and I can understand that he's somewhat hesitant and unable to find other artists who can support him. But all of that has been discussed at least 10 or 20 times so there's no need to repeat it.
I admit it's not the right thread for this comment, just like the one I was responding to. But the point is still correct, there is a pattern of creators' behavior that is just not right, and patrons' forgiving approach just allows them to do so..

j4yj4m

Forum Fanatic
Jun 19, 2017
So you're saying that he should completely remove incest and completely cease any writing for it?
That's what he has done. Every bit of new potential incest content (Jenny, Diane, Erik/Mrs. Johnson) is on hold and - as things stand now - won't be added until he finds a solution apart from patreon or until it can't be avoided any longer (which basically means in the worst case until shortly before the game ends). As sorry as I am and as much as I don't like it, it's the professional and compliant solution, especially for a game like SS that doesn't really rely on incest to be fun or good. It's of course bothering me but I can understand that every other solution is not an option to rely on and certainly wasn't an option to rely on preemtively. Of course it will happen now and we'll get the old content back via patch but I think it's important to understand that releasing a "bad product" which has to be patched is nothing any dev/company could want and I get why DC doesn't want to release new updates which don't really make sense until they are patched

So yes, I think in the end it's about business relations between companies, which is clearly something we have to talk about given we are talking about at least $300.000 of yearly turnover. I'm sure DC isn't happy about it, I'm sure patreon knows he's not happy about it but it's the professional thing to do.

Trapezio

Engaged Member
Sep 28, 2017
Say whatever you want, but this is the same story as always, they will release update after 4 months and every subsequent update will be just longer and longer, look at the Kingom of Deception, their updates were coming out every 2 months like with SS but last update took almost 4 months and now its 3rd month going and no info from devs.

It's always the same story, because of fucking sycophants games don't get completed. Creators take longer and longer(testing people) until they stop and jump to another project or stop entirely.

Every criticism gets rebutted instantly by faithful internet servants that sit in the game threads 24/7 of their basements lifes.

How is this possible that everytime I comeback to this thread or check out patreon page, when I scroll down the comment section and whenever I see a negative comment there is always same person lashing with their tantrums at the author? willy-nilly I could call 10 nicknames out of my ass right now, that's how explicit this is, as if someone had hired them .lol.

The only project up to date that behaved differently from the formula was Alansya Chronicles, where people actually showed middlefinger to creators and after pledges dropped by 3k$ they started to release more content more frequently but oh wait...

Seriously it's a shame SS is free, i wish you would need to pay atleast 30$ per update, then all those braindead middleschoolers with too much freetime on their shoulders could fuck off and constructive criticisms could take place.

Oh and also, I particularly mentioned Kingdom of Deception because thats but a perfect unrebuttable example.
Do you realize that

1) the game is FREE?
2) most of his patrons (5200 of 8255) give him 1$ monthly?
3) this 0.15 update will be twice as big of any previous one - most likely even bigger than twice?
4) they're re-encoding all of the game?

WILL YOU STOP WITH THAT DAMN "SYCOPHANT" THING?

Is it the only learned word that you know?

Do you know what a sycophant REALLY was in ancient Athens?

4.10 star(s) 355 Votes