phill_leotardo

Dec 20, 2019
Some people clearly didn't read the forum rules, so here we go.

A game is only considered abandoned when there has been 3 months since the developer has NOT posted anything at all in regards to their respective game development, which means the game doesn't necessarily need an update each 3 months. The rules says it needs an update on how the development is going every 3 months. As long as the developer says he's working on the project and give news within the time frame of 3 months, a game shall not be considered abandoned, even if the game hasn't been updated in a decade (technically)

• Haha
Reactions: CoolHandChewie

TGafy

May 14, 2020
Interesting. At the risk of questioning the masses...people really voted for Annie over more of her mom? Not what I would've done at this stage but hey, maybe Lucy already has more story I haven't reached yet.
Nope. They both had and still have zilch in terms of sex scenes. Story-wise, Annie should have more since the MC runs into her from time to time at school. iirc Annie had to strip down to her undies in the principal's office, though I could be misremembering.

Shadesishere

Modder
Dec 5, 2020
honestly, been lurking around keeping an eye on this thread, and I've been pondering the pros and cons of the tech update for awhile now, on one hand you have the long wait, with a couple of small updates sprinkled here and there...

but I started thinking from the gameplay side, and having higher resolution is almost always a boon, and will be useful for some of the minigames, and let's be honest, more locations and more characters is still more overall content. I also am slightly hoping that the tech update also comes with some form of progress in terms of character stories that has been kept underwraps.

also, just how much is being done under the hood I wonder? maybe I'm being overly hopeful, but if it means they can push content out a bit easier in the future (post update... shock, horror I know, 2050 yadda yadda...) then that should be a good thing. because let's be honest, the amount of content already in the game is impressive.

ah well, Plenty of other games and things to do while waiting to see what happens.

Count Morado

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
Jan 21, 2022
A game is only considered abandoned when there has been 3 months since the developer has NOT posted anything at all
Not strictly true:
From Game Uploading Rules
1690953854698.png
Based upon the rules, if DC doesn't release a new update by 30 April 2024 that places this thread eligible for being marked as abandoned (give or take a few days) - as I mentioned in post #70,841. Yes, there have been exceptions that have allowed games to go longer by a smidge. Yes, of the 15,000 games listed on this site, there are about 200 which are more than 18 months without an update and aren't marked abandoned, on-hold, completed.

The staff doesn't necessarily actively seek out games to flag as abandoned, rather they wait for someone to report the game because they have a limited staff (fewer than three dozen moderators/staff - not counting uploaders) with 20,000 or so people logged into this site at any given hour. Of those, several hundred are fucking around calling each other names, attempting to gain street-cred by being dicks or being childish, belligerently flaunting the rules, etc. and there are people who have legitimate questions, worries, concerns whose posts require more immediate attention than worrying if a pirated/free/shared game is a abandoned.

Count Morado

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
Jan 21, 2022
As Friar Tuck would say: My brothers! Let's be patient while there's hope, don't label this game as ABANDONED!
View attachment 2818922
I literally just addressed this in the post above yours. Also, it doesn't matter if any game is marked as abandoned because it is removed should an update be released. It's an arbitrary label used by F95 to allow people on here to either:
  1. stop whining about how the thread needs to be marked abandoned; or
  2. start whining about the thread being marked abandoned because the game "had potential"
Now, can people start discussing their favorite Summertime Saga waifus again?

McSlut

Aug 12, 2018

A game is only considered abandoned when there has been 3 months since the developer has NOT posted anything at all in regards to their respective game development, which means the game doesn't necessarily need an update each 3 months. The rules says it needs an update on how the development is going every 3 months. As long as the developer says he's working on the project and give news within the time frame of 3 months, a game shall not be considered abandoned, even if the game hasn't been updated in a decade (technically)
those rules need changing if you can just avoid being labeled "abandoned" by posting a one sentence message on patreon every 2 months like "still working on it", at least if the purpose of this tag is to protect new potential donators from wasting their money. if the purpose isn't to protect donators but something else i guess it doesn't matter.

you could also create a new tag "milking" for projects that haven't had a significant update in a year or "terrible project management" when the lead devs tells you he will do the "tech update" in 3-4 months but it takes 8 times as long with no end in sight

Daemontan

Jun 22, 2023
I literally just addressed this in the post above yours. Also, it doesn't matter if any game is marked as abandoned because it is removed should an update be released. It's an arbitrary label used by F95 to allow people on here to either:
  1. stop whining about how the thread needs to be marked abandoned; or
  2. start whining about the thread being marked abandoned because the game "had potential"
Now, can people start discussing their favorite Summertime Saga waifus again?
You are too sensible and goal-oriented. Many people get lost in the details;)

I also want more Annie scenes.

Apr 22, 2019
those rules need changing if you can just avoid being labeled "abandoned" by posting a one sentence message on patreon every 2 months like "still working on it", at least if the purpose of this tag is to protect new potential donators from wasting their money. if the purpose isn't to protect donators but something else i guess it doesn't matter.

you could also create a new tag "milking" for projects that haven't had a significant update in a year or "terrible project management" when the lead devs tells you he will do the "tech update" in 3-4 months but it takes 8 times as long with no end in sight
At this point is no more a matter of trolling or white-knighting a dev, abandoned or not, but the lack of credibility. He's not trustworthy and shares wallpapers every now and then, backgrounds that he already did most probably in the past and the monthly alleged tasks is just a very long list that says nothing regards the previous 2 years. On discord I see also their mods and coders wasting time over bs and mocking those who just ask details or reasons regards the prolonged delay.

phill_leotardo

Dec 20, 2019
From Game Uploading Rules
View attachment 2818895
Based upon the rules, if DC doesn't release a new update by 30 April 2024 that places this thread eligible for being marked as abandoned (give or take a few days) - as I mentioned in post #70,841. Yes, there have been exceptions that have allowed games to go longer by a smidge. Yes, of the 15,000 games listed on this site, there are about 200 which are more than 18 months without an update and aren't marked abandoned, on-hold, completed.

The staff doesn't necessarily actively seek out games to flag as abandoned, rather they wait for someone to report the game because they have a limited staff (fewer than three dozen moderators/staff - not counting uploaders) with 20,000 or so people logged into this site at any given hour. Of those, several hundred are fucking around calling each other names, attempting to gain street-cred by being dicks or being childish, belligerently flaunting the rules, etc. and there are people who have legitimate questions, worries, concerns whose posts require more immediate attention than worrying if a pirated/free/shared game is a abandoned.
I must admit, I did not remember the 18 months exception as I read it long ago. But either way, given the guy actively streams his work and updates regularly, my eyebrows went up after reading people seriously calling for abandoned tag on this game and repeatedly. I think it's to much for to ask for in this particular case.

Count Morado

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
Jan 21, 2022
On the bright side his patreon got from 60k to 49k per month, maybe the update will get out faster now that people are beginning to wake up.
I agree that his numbers have dipped from their peak - but notice that the numbers really aren't off much. Also, at the beginning of every month, numbers drop for all creators on Patreon (both subscriber and earnings) and then grow throughout the month because of the way that Patreon handles subscription renewals. Another interesting thing is that over the course of the past 4 months, it appears that his subscriber numbers are showing a little bounce back.

The blue arrow points to when the work on the Tech Update began. His numbers for 28 February 2021 were 28k subscribers at $73k USD (the month just before that last major update was released finishing the main quest of finding out what happened to the MC's father). His numbers for 31 July 2023 (just 2 days ago) were 29k subscribers at $64k USD. Slightly higher number of subscribers, but lower average monthly contribution. Still far above what is believed to be what he needs to pay salaries for the team, pay his bills, put food on the table, etc (somewhere around $30k or so).
1690977576004.png

As for how that might motivate the developer in putting in more time into the Tech Update or pushing harder on the team - who knows, but history has shown that DC will do what DC wants to do when DC wants it done how DC thinks it should be done. Even if he reads the thread, he doesn't really react about it (he's posted but a few times in the 7 years this site has been up).

All this said, your post and my reply are off-topic for game threads on F95. And the numbers above show that just about nothing posted in this thread does much to influence DC's numbers, overall.

itsyeboii

Aug 23, 2017

Ironic, since the rules state that a game can still be marked abandoned if there hasn't been an update in 18 months, even if they communicate.
honestly, been lurking around keeping an eye on this thread, and I've been pondering the pros and cons of the tech update for awhile now, on one hand you have the long wait, with a couple of small updates sprinkled here and there...

but I started thinking from the gameplay side, and having higher resolution is almost always a boon, and will be useful for some of the minigames, and let's be honest, more locations and more characters is still more overall content. I also am slightly hoping that the tech update also comes with some form of progress in terms of character stories that has been kept underwraps.

also, just how much is being done under the hood I wonder? maybe I'm being overly hopeful, but if it means they can push content out a bit easier in the future (post update... shock, horror I know, 2050 yadda yadda...) then that should be a good thing. because let's be honest, the amount of content already in the game is impressive.

ah well, Plenty of other games and things to do while waiting to see what happens.
That's pretty much my mentality as well, the benefits we get out of the tech-update are nowhere near enough to justify this long of a wait, and I doubt the developers will be way more efficient, but we will still get a better experience while development will be more intuitive and smooth. If all goes according to plan of course, maybe they're fucking shit up.

And I've had a gut feeling for a while that we might see some more scenes thrown into the tech-update or even updated art for a certain character, but that's nothing but wishful thinking. But like you said, there's plenty of other things to do while this is cooking.

It's not F95Zone's job to protect people from spending money on something. You should be completely capable of doing a bit of research on what you're going to donate to. The abandoned tag is solely there for informative reasons, just like a Renpy tag.
At this point is no more a matter of trolling or white-knighting a dev, abandoned or not, but the lack of credibility. He's not trustworthy and shares wallpapers every now and then, backgrounds that he already did most probably in the past and the monthly alleged tasks is just a very long list that says nothing regards the previous 2 years. On discord I see also their mods and coders wasting time over bs and mocking those who just ask details or reasons regards the prolonged delay.
You have a different definition of untrustworthy than me. Apart from the tech-update taking way longer than DC said it would, he's pretty much always followed through on what he says and is one of the most transparent devs out there.

The only gripes I have with him is that he doesn't communicate well outside of his stream and Discord, and that his website/Patreon still has the narrative that he needs money to develop this game or that more money = more game, when he's been receiving a large amount of excessive funds for years.

But to call him untrustworthy because he only posts wallpapers every now and then, or "probably" made those backgrounds years ago, or because we can't see the progress, except for backgrounds and wallpapers but those don't count for some reason.... Yeah I don't agree, just another post that states speculation as a fact.

j4yj4m

Forum Fanatic
Jun 19, 2017
Why would anybody on a board that's providing pirated content for free care about donors?
At least to me it's pretty clear that I won't start playing a game with that tag, simply because there's no point in starting something, that almost certainly will just stop somewhere in the middle and won't get an ending. Which is why I'd indeed prefer a restrained use of that tag, as it should be somewhat certain that the game is actually dead. Else the tag would pretty much lose its meaning.

He's able to do that because he's streaming his work for 1 to 2 hours four to five days a week. If you don't think that's making a difference, that's up to you.

4.10 star(s) 359 Votes