kioeclipse

Dec 11, 2019
I agree with your point about the pre-tech updates - and have said so in the past. Also, DC eventually saw the futility of them, himself, and they stopped in October 2022.
It would be difficult to say that one person "wrote most of the code." It started with DC learning coding while creating the content and then there were several he hired in succession who wrote the code in the intervening years with their differing signature on how coding should be approached and written. Thereby, they all created a Frankenstein's monster of 26.2 MB of code through 1600 files. DC has been a part of this all, since it is his vision. He hasn't left.
I wasnt referring to DC when talking about leaving but specifically Dogeek. They were already talking about the game needing a revamp in 2019. He was the primary source for the roadmap/visualization going forward. He was let go/left due to complicatiom and hostile work enviroment.

DC was never really responsible for coding but rather art, story and design, where as Dogeek was the lead coder during his employment

Last edited:

Count Morado

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
Jan 21, 2022
Sure, just slap all the old art on 16:9 and see how it looks. And if you're about to ask "Who needs the game in 16:9?" I'll tell you real quick: the patrons, who apparently mainly play on phones. So this you can blame on the moneybags actually paying for this.
Those damn developing world markets with ubiquitous mobile device access and growing broadband connectivity.

I blame Jack Kilby and Robert Noyce for the invention of the monolithic integrated circuit. Ever since, we could pack more punch in smaller devices. I also blame Hedy Lamarr for her patent in radio technologies that made Wi-Fi and 5G possible. No longer are we tied to the wall with RJ45's keeping us confined to our homes.

Damn them. Damn them all to hell.

• Haha
Reactions: Chrisdarock19

bakasto

Apr 22, 2017
Coders (listed from the wiki)
  • Strayerror (Since mid-2019)
  • Dogeek (mid-2018 to late-2019)
  • NhKPaNdA (mid-2017 to mid-2018)
  • Amo (late-2017 to mid-2018)
  • Hurfy (mid-2017 to late-2017)*
  • Arizona Identities (2016 to mid-2017)*
  • Kaosu (2016 to early-2017)*
  • DarkCookie (in the beginning... there was darkness)*
Until Strayerror it looked like "Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher position at Hogwarts" situation lol

MurkyTurtle

Jul 28, 2017
Those damn developing world markets with ubiquitous mobile device access and growing broadband connectivity.

I blame Jack Kilby and Robert Noyce for the invention of the monolithic integrated circuit. Ever since, we could pack more punch in smaller devices. I also blame Hedy Lamarr for her patent in radio technologies that made Wi-Fi and 5G possible. No longer are we tied to the wall with RJ45's keeping us confined to our homes.

Damn them. Damn them all to hell.
Just to clarify, Hedy Lamarr's invention and there's no clear-cut evidence her work was ever used in any capacity since the radio-guided torpedoes it was invented to assist were only theoretical at the time and were never formally introduced with the advent of electronic controls. Plus, her ideas on frequency hopping . Still an impressive achievement for an actress in her day and age, but forgotten pioneer she was not.

Reactions: Count Morado

eliteplague

Jun 15, 2017
Can't blame this dev, he is playing the system. And people are dumb enough to continue supporting him. I mean, I would do the same if I had a game that I released and people really enjoyed it, saw that it was making a shit ton of money from patreons, so then I would make sure to be really slow with updates, so that I will be set for life and retirement.

He is earning $62,870 per month . Think about that for a second. He is almost making 1 million every year. Why would I end that income by finishing that game if I was him. Why even start a new project? It could end up being a total failure. I'd be making my actual life a Summertime Saga and just fucking women and driving my Lambo.

Don't hate the player, hate the game. He is milking this for every last drop, and we're just sharks swimming around his yacht.

Last edited:

Count Morado

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
Jan 21, 2022
Can't blame this dev, he is playing the system. And people are dumb enough to continue supporting him. I mean, I would do the same if I had a game that I released and people really enjoyed it, saw that it was making a shit ton of money from patreons, so then I would make sure to be really slow with updates, so that I will be set for life and retirement.

He is earning $62,870 per month . Think about that for a second. He is almost making 1 million every year. Why would I end that income by finishing that game if I was him. Why even start a new project? It could end up being a total failure. I'd be making my actual life a Summertime Saga and just fucking women and driving my Lambo.

Don't hate the player, hate the game. He is milking this for every last drop, and we're just sharks swimming around his yacht.
He has stated since the beginning that as long as people want to play the game, that they have ideas to add to the game, and that they enjoy doing what they are doing that they won't stop developing this. From about 6 years ago:

He's been very up front with this. Also, this is not unlike studios which revisit, revise, recode, reboot major titles.

(EDIT: Also, it's obvious from the interview that his ability to predict timelines and deadlines sucks. No one should have been surprised, especially DC, that his inability to do so would lead to a tech update taking much longer than he initially expected. The man can't predict worth shit.)

You say milking. Patreon subscriptions are for supporting creators in what they are doing, not for product access or product purchase - unless developers say as such. No one needs to pay anything play Summertime Saga. It's available for free to download directly from the developer. The only gameplaying benefit that subscribers get is that they get first access (up to 24 hours before the public) and downloading directly subscriber-only servers. If people only want to play Summertime Saga when there are updates (which were every several months before the tech update but which may not be for another 8 months or a year or more) they can do so without letting loose a dime. If subscribers want to stop their membership, no one is stopping them and nothing is stopping them from accessing the game. How is he milking?

Last edited:

Senigata

Feb 4, 2017
He has stated since the beginning that as long as people want to play the game, that they have ideas to add to the game, and that they enjoy doing what they are doing that they won't stop developing this. From about 6 years ago:

He's been very up front with this. Also, this is not unlike studios which revisit, revise, recode, reboot major titles.

(EDIT: Also, it's obvious from the interview that his ability to predict timelines and deadlines sucks. No one should have been surprised, especially DC, that his inability to do so would lead to a tech update taking much longer than he initially expected. The man can't predict worth shit.)

You say milking. Patreon subscriptions are for supporting creators in what they are doing, not for product access or product purchase - unless developers say as such. No one needs to pay anything play Summertime Saga. It's available for free to download directly from the developer. The only gameplaying benefit that subscribers get is that they get first access (up to 24 hours before the public) and downloading directly subscriber-only servers. If people only want to play Summertime Saga when there are updates (which were every several months before the tech update but which may not be for another 8 months or a year or more) they can do so without letting loose a dime. If subscribers want to stop their membership, no one is stopping them and nothing is stopping them from accessing the game. How is he milking?
You'd probably have to explain the concept of "patron of the arts' first.

MurkyTurtle

Jul 28, 2017

A few points, if only to illustrate the insane range of earnings out in the world:

1. $62,870 * 12 = $754,440. That's considerably less than $1 million.
2. He's gotta pay for a full-time coder and several contractors out of that monthly amount, as well as whatever overhead the website represents. Let's be generous and say when all is said and done he's keeping ~$50k a month gross, or about $600k a year. That's pre-tax, too, so maybe $400k take-home a year once that's handled.
3. What kind of Tommy Tallarico fantasy world do you live in where $600k a year is nothing but Lambos and women? That's a lot of money to an average pleb, but in the world of high-paid professional salaries it's somewhere in the "pretty good" mark. I work with an attorney who comfortably clears in excess of $50k every month for ~100 hours of billables, all WFH.

Plus, it's pretty well documented that most of his free time is spent juggling his wife, three kids, and the various illnesses they keep giving him. Hardly a glamorous lifestyle. :ROFLMAO:

Lucky Guerrilla

Game Developer
Jan 26, 2021
A few points, if only to illustrate the insane range of earnings out in the world:

1. $62,870 * 12 = $754,440. That's considerably less than $1 million.
2. He's gotta pay for a full-time coder and several contractors out of that monthly amount, as well as whatever overhead the website represents. Let's be generous and say when all is said and done he's keeping ~$50k a month gross, or about $600k a year. That's pre-tax, too, so maybe $400k take-home a year once that's handled.
3. What kind of Tommy Tallarico fantasy world do you live in where $600k a year is nothing but Lambos and women? That's a lot of money to an average pleb, but in the world of high-paid professional salaries it's somewhere in the "pretty good" mark. I work with an attorney who comfortably clears in excess of $50k every month for ~100 hours of billables, all WFH.

Plus, it's pretty well documented that most of his free time is spent juggling his wife, three kids, and the various illnesses they keep giving him. Hardly a glamorous lifestyle. :ROFLMAO:
Ah, the world where $600k a year is poverty wages :rolleyes:

e hasn't left. Strayerror, the current coder, has been on the team since mid-2019.
He's been coding the project for the last 4 years? And it's still taking him 2 years to sort the code out? Fucking hell, that's worse than I thought.

Christ, the laziness and the incompetence shown by this project is unbelievable.

DC hired one coder, and part time, when clearly the Tech update would need more. They also have never heard of branches. It's criminal the level of idiocy that has gone into the last major update and yet people are still here white-knighting them.

And yes, maybe it's bad form to criticise another developer. But I think it's right to call out shitty behaviour. At no point has DC ever suspended payments. He never updated his target (which isn't even visible on his Patreon page now). Oh, and if you want updates on how they are failing to actually advance? You need to give them a dollar a month. Unbelievable.

Last edited:

Count Morado

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
Jan 21, 2022

He's been coding the project for the last 4 years? And it's still taking him 2 years to sort the code out? Fucking hell, that's worse than I thought.

Christ, the laziness and the incompetence shown by this project is unbelievable.
Also, it's a bit unprofessional for one developer to shittalk another developer in public, especially when they are aware the target of their shittalking never comes in the thread. It looks more like petty jealousy than professional critique - particularly with the word usage.

• Angry
Reactions: Toushiro

kikilake12

Jun 1, 2020

DC hired one coder, and part time, when clearly the Tech update would need more. They also have never heard of branches. It's criminal the level of idiocy that has gone into the last major update and yet people are still here white-knighting them.

And yes, maybe it's bad form to criticise another developer. But I think it's right to call out shitty behaviour. At no point has DC ever suspended payments. He never updated his target (which isn't even visible on his Patreon page now). Oh, and if you want updates on how they are failing to actually advance? You need to give them a dollar a month. Unbelievable.
the coder is full time i asked dc this myself one time on stream

• Haha
Reactions: BeaAndNessa

MurkyTurtle

Jul 28, 2017
Never said it was, just pointing out that it ain't high roller money. There's a persistent undercurrent in this thread that DC has a money bin full of Patreon bux that he swims around in like Scrooge McDuck, and I figured it'd be helpful to point out that the only way you're living in a mansion full of sports cars at that income level is if you're financed up to your eyeballs. I'm in full agreement that DC has heavily mismanaged the project, though.

Man, anybody got something on-topic they want to bring us back around to? Shitposting about income levels and project management is fun and all, but I come to this thread mostly for titties.

Edit: Let's talk Annie. DC posted this a long while back and I still think it's one of the hottest goddamn things he's ever made. What do people want out of her story?

1693433510600.jpeg

4.10 star(s) 359 Votes