Ren'Py - Summertime Saga [v21.0.0 wip.5003] [Kompas Productions]

1. 2.00 star(s)

DeepSpace_Potato

The whole Summertime Saga could be splitted in 2 main parts.
    The 1st one, the good one that approximately was released almost 2 years ago and the 2nd-actual one, which is only a bland attempt of struggling in keeping the game alive, or mostly people hooked with the promise of releasing new content within a X date. There're lots of fanboys on this forum, most of them don't even accept a negative review or attack others, nothing wrong with that within certain limits and if you really like something, but the excuses I read over months-years are getting r-i-d-i-c-u-l-o-u-s. Patreon is indeed made for supporting an artist, but when the same guy takes advantage of it(as it's basically now his job), then you can't justify further. It'd be interesting to see the same situation with Kickstarter and eventually deadlines to respect.

Apart that why 3 stars? (scroll down for the newest rating)
    For the reasons explained and as I enjoyed a lot having fun with Jenny, the sexy auntie and the puzzles-interactions with old characters in-game. They were funny, not soulless and mostly you had somewhat a story to follow, excluding the lame-coding, which after years it's at the level of a beginner or amateur(same with the Rick and Morty's game if you know that).
    The negative part comes instead from the lack of interesting updates, an atrocious new plot and so many fillers regards stereotypes and politics that I was almost tempted to skip the whole dialogues for a while.
    Remarkable it's instead the short Halloween release, mostly as I like the goth girl, but it can't fix 2 years of delays and low quality.

For the rest SS is a game that I'd in any case suggest to fans of genre and similar games,but that over years lost what made it interesting. Moreover I'm pretty sure the game won't be finished in other 3-4 years and still people will justify the dev, no matter what and in a neverending circle.

EDIT(update 0.20.8): I think the game will follow 2 directions now, that is random updates, or releases based on patreons' tastes, even more than before and introducing new(useless) characters. In any case the main story was pretty much rushed, after all these YEARS I was expecting a little more, even the Aqua's quest chain was more interesting than this. 5 months(7 if you exclude the small halloween update) for such a dull and common story is a joke.
    The new scenes? Boring, not detailed, again a side view and you can't see a damn thing. The only one I'd save is the 2nd scene with Nadya on the sofa and that's it. If you don't understand my point try to compare them to 2-3 years old scenes(Roxxy,Eve,even Debbie's oldest ones). That's why I'll decrease my rating. At this point I don't even see a reason for being a patreon or just to follow this game further. The fanboys will keep defending him, they'll never admit the game has gone downhill, people with a bit of common sense will understand that he's pranking his own patreons.
  2. 5.00 star(s)

Devilsraging

Very well made game, very deserving of a 5 star rating across the boards. Art is unique, characters are unique, story is unique, scenes are exceptional, enjoyment through the roof. There are no bad qualities about this game, this is what a game should be.

Art: 5/5
    Characters: 5/5
    Story: 5/5
    Progression: 5/5
    Content: 5/5
    Enjoyment: 5/5
    Overall: 5/5
  3. 5.00 star(s)

BullRush77

summertime saga is an example of a well made product
    the story is well written and thought-out the characters and fun and enjoyable
    The Art is of a more western style which is a nice change of pace where most other games have a 3dcg or an eastern style to them and its well drawn to top it off
    there is plenty of sex animations story elements some mini-games some better then others
    overall I recommend this game
  4. 5.00 star(s)

Helios82

Summertime Saga is my very first VN I've ever tried. I'm not a fan of cartoon graphic paste. But this one really charmed me. The story is nice and the fact that I can travel freely around the city makes it even more depth to the game. The management of finances and jobs in order to be able to buy items that are almost required to continue the story are interesting, even if a lot of items are already present, but at the end are not yet useful. I love the political drawings of the different characters and their stories are just as interesting. It's very daring and successful at the same time. For the rest from what I've seen, I'm looking forward to seeing the next updates.
  5. 5.00 star(s)

Ooh

Not much to say that hasn't already been said. Normally I'll break the review into PROS and CONS but there's no point in a long drawn out explanation of this game. Cant believe at the time of this review this game is 5 years old. 5 YEARS and its not only outlasted almost every other game in its genre its also remained "The Champ".

Now, "The Champ" definitely has had its share of flaws. Aside from game-breaking bugs and glitches, particularly the redesigns in recent years. Redesigned animations that actually somehow make certain scenes worse. It also has a weird development cycle. Lastly the saves used to not work with each update which made me only play it once a year. But everytime I comeback I'm reminded of the the character diversity, awesome memorable legendary sex scenes, characters with the same face that still grow on you aka memorable characters, awesome simple plot and awesome game mechanics besides the minigames.

Of course this is a masterpiece, of course you should play, and of course use the wiki.
  6. 5.00 star(s)

Moist_Nut

Charming story set in a white suburb of the American dream. Gameplay is a point and click visual novel with a few unintrusive minigames thrown in. Game world build with quite a lot of variety: you get to screw your shy classmate, cheerleader, teacher, neighbor lady, good old nurse, mom, ... a fish and, possibly, even a cat. All of it wrapped in a pleasant art style and unpredictable story lines.
  7. 5.00 star(s)

HidingBird

Summertime Saga is actually one of the most enjoyment I've had out of an H-game I've had. The sex animated sex scenes were great, the animation felt nice, clean, and smooth. I enjoyed the characters. It has lots of variety in its appeal to fetishes, which is nice.
  8. 5.00 star(s)

RG Coballion

Interesting history, it is not everything about sex scenes, also character history lines all well structured, you can follow the evolution and understand the relationship of your decisions and their consecuences. It is a comic like animation but very well made, I personally enjoyed it. I recommend it.
  9. 5.00 star(s)

Normshep

Definitely in the Top 5 of this generation .The characters are really well done in both appearances and personalities and there is a lot of content and mini games to keep you occupied and wanting more . Keep up the good work
  10. 5.00 star(s)

3r1z0

Scripting makes all the difference! There are a lot of competently coded games with arguably higher quality artwork, but this one excels in the most commonly overlooked area: STORY. Characters are well developed and consistent, the dialog is funny, and as an added bonus you never feel trapped by terrible choices among terrible people. This is a fun game that doesn't insult your intelligence, easily one of my all-time favorites.
  11. 5.00 star(s)

jimtomson

Easily one of the best games on this site. I can't recommend it enough.
    1. The main character is likable. He's kind of naive but he doesn't come off as a smooth brain.
    2. The side characters have genuine depth to them. You actually begin to care about the characters as you play their stories.
    3. This game has an absolute shit-ton of content. That includes a nearly complete main storyline.
    4. Updates for this game or relatively frequent. The developer deeply engages with his audience on Patreon. (that's why this game is extremely well-funded)
    5. The artwork is beautiful and continues to improve for a 2-D game.
  12. 5.00 star(s)

Sthr ▚ nix

Simply amazing. I know 2D games is so hard to make it fast. I truly wanna fastest update from DC but, i know 2D arts doesn't need any kind of rush. So, be patient for the update. It maybe kinda long, but trust me. IT'S FREAKIN' WORTH IT!
  13. 5.00 star(s)

m00nsh1ne

i sincerely believe that this is one of the games that are competing for the best 2D adult video game to appear on this website. Just all the scenarios and options you have at your disposal is amazing. The game also provies a check sheet so you always know what you can do to advance indiviual character and main stories. The animations are great espescially those from more recent releases. As long as you don't need your games to be planted in reality then I believe you'll enjoy this one.
  14. 5.00 star(s)

Arnaud

The story of this game is amazing, it isn't build slowly or fast but perfectly, both the main story and every single character worked on. I consider it to be an original story even though it isn't finished since it has so much content already and was one of the first games I fell in love with. The renders are top quality and unique. One of the key aspects for a game's quality, IMO, are the animations, which this game isn't S+ tier but still S tier, at least. As I said before, the game isn't finished but still has so much content you will probably need more than one day to finish it! My first language isn't english so when it comes to grammar I'm probably not the best to speak, but I'll still rate it as perfect since I don't think I ever stumbled upon a single grammar mistake. I'm not a fan of sandbox games but this game does it so well that I honestly don't mind it. The last thing I'll rate are the bugs and I would probably rate it as a 4/4.5 because I may have gotten a bug or two when I played the first version of an update here and there, I'll not rate it lower since bugs should be expected in those versions of an update!
    I would rate SS as it is a 4.5, if I could. Since I cant do halves, I'll round it up to a 5 stars, hoping I don't regret it when it gets complete.
  15. 5.00 star(s)

junk54

This is what got me interested in these types of games. The story is good. The character development is good. Most importantly, the art is good. PLUS the scenes are animated which most games fail to do. It may be multiple years in the making but it is solid which is a credit to the development. Just my opinion but I don't think I'm alone.
  16. 3.00 star(s)

RandyPhoenix

Good Points
    +Loveable and well maked characters with good character story telling. In some scenes espacily in that pizza store while they are defending me... I got little bit wetness in my eyes. Well done man. This is total success <3
    +Well maked and interesting story.
    +Decent renders for own style. (Could be better)
    +Decent looking animations. (Could be better)
    +Has lots of content. Main story need more content tho but when we look total this game gives us to much content. Finishing gets to much time and all times is enjoyable.
    +Have some good refferences like Walter White or Keeves.Damn that scene make me LOL
    +You can feel for became better character with that stat girnd. I felt realy powerfull in this Dexter scene. It was worth increesing my strenght and dextirity for this.

Bad Points
    -Game quality could be more better than. Even our resolution is not 16:9 we have 4:3 and its not fits the global rate at all. Renders and animations needs improve and some changes. They are not that bad but not very good either. And animation physics need improve to. They need became more soft and well maked. At this rate they look little bit cheap like 7-10 imaged animations. Like this big game needs 15-30 imaged soft maked animations for decent quality. DEV has lots of patreon and montly income. He can make animations and renders way better than this with that much resource. We are talking about 25k patreon and 67k monthly income. Its pretty serious income and patreon number. I know lots of DEV making far far better renders and animations with 2-3k monthly income. So its not accebtable at all. DEV should make better job than this. Even we have some mods changes characters apperance little bit. DEV have all resorce for making this game better than this but instead modders try to make this game better. Its pretty odd and nonsense.
    -MC is realy weird dude. Even his hair cut tells this us cleary. Come on man? You are earning thousand bucks go and get youself haircut dont look like bowl. Joke's aside in one questline we got cool hair but it doesnt effect main game this is pretty disappointed and its lead us to other bad point.
    -Yes we have lots of content but that contents dont effect our main game at all. For example MC changes his hair for Talent Show and its looks realy good but after that little scene we never saw him with that hair again. Its like that scene never happened. DEV need make this contents connected with main story/game to. This is normaly how things work and need to work. If it doesnt effect main game at all why I'm playing that quests? Why I'm wasting my time?
    -And that ''Lots of content'' sometimes feels pretty bad for story. I mean its like main story is not important at all. We have lots of different route for girls/women but in all that content main story looks pretty less and petty. DEV should add more main story content and less character routes and with this way main story could be more balanced with game.
    -Updates takes to much time and update contents are always pretty little. We have lots of content because this game developing since 2016. Every update contents different route like 0.20 update was about main story, 0.21 was about Rhonda etc... And its the actualy problem. DEV thinks main story like any other side content and makes it seperate from them! He should add main story content with every update and add side route with main content aswell. Its how this things need work but in this game it wont. After 4 year main story still dont have enough content or progress at all...

For The End
    Well i told everyting i need. This game have better potencial than this but DEV dont use game potencial or his facilities. Still good game tho but not good enough for being more than average.
  17. 5.00 star(s)

Deleted member 2596230

Beyond excellent. One of the best lewd stories I've ever experienced. The writing is superb, much higher quality than you typically find in adult games, and very well structured. Minigames are fun and not a chore, art style is incredible, story is excellent.
  18. 5.00 star(s)

john7luck

[v0.20-5] One of the best sex games ive played.
    Unexpectedly hilarious game. It has great humor and references spread throughout the different stories. The relations are fun to explore. Some are very cute, some romantic and some downright hardcore. The animations are perfect. Simple and thoroughly satisfying. The game is filled with sex, love it.

One suggestion, if i may: pls add a feature to change the outfits of the babes.

thank you for sharing your creative experience through the game
  19. 4.00 star(s)

UselessSphinx

I started this VN ages ago. I noticed a lot of under development areas along the way. I came back around to it about a week ago. I've completed every thing in game. I've impregnated every character you can(multiple times)
    PROS
    Story is good
    The ladies are all sexy
    Lots of places to visit
    Lots of characters to interact with
    CONS
    Lots of areas still under development after all this time
    MC is kinda spineless in some aspects of the VN
    Not a lot of property to buy
    OVERALL
    4/5 stars because there is, even with all of the under development stuff, a lot of content available. The dev is putting in some good work. Hopefully there will be more things to do in future updates. The adult scenes are abundant as well. I recommend trying this VN if you haven't already done so. Keep up the good work, and I can't wait for future updates. Keep up the good work
  20. 5.00 star(s)

johnralf

The graphics are simple and unique, the cartoon style give the comedy touch the game need.
    The MC is the cool kid, he wants to fuck everyone, but don´t say that, things just "happen", there is a development around the histories, you have to earn the prizes, some are easy others not so much.
    Probably the best adult game around with history.