VN - Ren'Py - Taboo University [v0.5.21] [ViNovella Games]

1. 5.00 star(s)

cumsumnida

An AVN with an interesting story hook

Game sets up a really interesting framing to the story 5 minutes in (won't spoil it here) that makes it more interesting than other VNs that take place at a college.

The decisions you make, specifically the order of your investigation choices, also seem to produce different scenes/impacts. Not clear how big these impacts will be as the story progresses.

Renders are nice, animations are solid. The UI and music are also pretty decent too. Lot of sexual interactions from the get go.

This dev has alot of experience through developing with their other (also popular game). Unfortunately, they seem to share a few problems like:
    1. Too many fuck buddies that have zero personalities, which also really detracts from the love interests. There's just too many, with no development and it's hard to keep track of them all as well. There's a point where you get not 1, but 2 buff mma types in the story
    2. Animations are decent, but they all still feel a little stiff. The dev has started recently introducing choices during sex scenes (switch positions)
  2. 5.00 star(s)

Jah-Ith-Ber

Version: 0.3.16

Gametime: About 3-4 hours if you do all the paths (use multi-mod to do all paths in 1 playthru)

Visuals: 4.5/5 -- Very beautiful well done with unique scenary set pieces. You'll notice some of the most commonly re-used assets in DAZ but overall very visually appealing. The animations are on the same level as FL so very smooth and well done but a pretty short loop.

Story: 5/5 -- This is where the game shines. It is really fun! The idea of the detective corkboard and you investigating is really well done. It keeps your interest outside of sex scenes and you really feel involved even though its probably pretty linear. Piecing the investigation together with different clues that get added id really enjoyaeble and I'm looking forward to seeing where the story goes.

Characters: 5/5 -- A unique and diverse cast. You got the solid sterotypes that work (friend from youth who is in love with you) as well as some really interesting and unique characters (really interested in the blind room-mate). The red-head who is both slutty and shy for those with a Madonna-whore complex :ROFLMAO: . So far only 1 out of the sex partners path do I completely skip (ugly cougar -- don't worry there is also a hot cougar).

Overall: This game feels like a big improvement over fetish-locator. A more serious story with a more likeable MC and theres hints of some extreme fetishes (cum-swapping so far) without it turning into a golden-shower fest.
  3. 5.00 star(s)

OcularisVN

[v0.3.16]

Expectations were definitely a little lower going into this one. The previous game, while enjoyable, had a fair share of flaws. While Fetish Locator was more of a four star game, Vinovella University is, without a doubt, a five star experience. It's everything current adult visual novels should be, and then some. Great renders, acceptable soundtrack, fantastic/diverse character design, and a very interesting story that keeps you hooked.
    The very early twist of your true identity makes this story extra compelling! An undercover cop tracking down three missing girls at an university with several shady moving parts; using whatever means necessary to find helpful information. This allows for my favorite part about any story structured like this. Meeting the big cast of colorful characters and trying to figure out who/what they connect with is such a fun experience!! There really is a girl for everyone in this story and I hope most of them get enough time to shine as the story progresses. Writing skills have also noticeably improved! Not only are the characters written in fun and charming ways, but sexual scenes and even just the story itself are showing great promise!
    Overall, a fantastic experience so far! Looking forward to the finished product!
  4. 5.00 star(s)

Ash1111

Another great vn from VinovellaGames. Great visuals, animation and models. The story and the investigation stuff looks fun and awesome. The backgroud music and the voice acting also gives depth to the overall experiance. It has that top tier quality like other top games out there. Looking forward to future updates. Hope more people find out about this amazing title.
  5. 5.00 star(s)

DABOMB00

So far this looks like a really great game. The Story has an intriguing setup and a touch of mysterie which makes it interesting to play. There are quite some secrets to unravel . It doesnt feel forced and has a good pace to it. I really like that you get to know the persons you spend time with and have them open up to you while you listen to them which deepens the realationships slowly. Sometimes it would be better to have them open up even slower in my opinion if their character is built that way which i think is the case with some of the girls but its still fine.
    The game overall looks absolutely great and i really like how the girls look. There is quite some diversity to the women and even tho there are a lot of them its not quite obvious how many will be romancable characters. The only thing i dont like is that you go in with kind of beeing in an relationship already i really dislike this in games, but its not too bad.
    The Music and Sounds compliment the game really well and even tho i think the voice sounds are unnessecary and annoying maybe there are few people who enjoy them and you can mute them so its not a big deal.
    Overall i think its a great game and the dev does a lot of things right which makes it super enjoyable to play.
  6. 5.00 star(s)

Ulrich von Liechtenstein

Three girls, three stories, three investigations.
    An interesting, intelligent protagonist, a crowd of pretty ladies perhaps with many of them we can build a relationship. Everyone will find the right girl here :love:
    For version 0.3 it was quite a lot of text (if you take your time it could take hours), the investigations are really exciting although it feels skewed towards the sex scenes. If you remove some of them I think the story would be more believable (take at least the scenes with the horny teachers). In addition to the very well-written dialogue, we have a great visual style and smooth animation. The volleyball scenes are really coolly directed here as well as the sexual stuff with the girls.
    The storyline is great although we don't have many plot developments to go on yet. Of the relative minuses I would note the rather boring storyline with the cult and the self-development group but that's probably just my individual intolerance.
    Very much looking forward to the story updates hoping to get to the bottom of it with the hero.
  7. 5.00 star(s)

MidnightKing

Review for v0.3.16

I half skimmed the overview and thought this was going to be yet another run-of-the-mill college game. I was wrong. It came as an interesting twist to find out our true purpose in attending the university, and I think that's when I got hooked. I'm not going to talk too much about the actual plot as to avoid spoilers, but for people like me who are into more well-written games, this is one to try out for sure.

There's a lot to praise here. First, this has an impressively large cast of diverse characters to get to know. It's interesting to see it from a detective point of view, puzzling together how everyone connects to each other. It's got some great renders and the animations aren't bad either. Proper music and sound effects too, but I'll say I turned the voices off instantly. The MC is definitely more of a Mr. Perfect, but I don't find him insufferable or anything which is a rarity.

The style of this game definitely feels different as well. You aren't necessarily given a cast of individual girls to focus on one by one. Rather, you're investigating each clique more or less. You could say you're focusing on different groups of girls rather than an individual. This has both positives and negatives admittedly. A lot of games suffer from not having anyone interact with anyone else, and only with the MC. I like that in this, everyone is connected in some way. Things are happening around the MC regardless of if he's involved. It makes things feel more real. But on the other hand, you're going to be left waiting if you really want to see a bunch of content from someone specific. There really doesn't feel like a lot of "main" love interests as of now imo.

If I had any real complaint, it would be that this is a bit too linear for me. I really do like that you can choose the order of who you investigate first, but beyond that most choices simply seem to be "see this scene or don't." Now there are a few exceptions, but for the most part the player really isn't given any agency. Even just given the option to choose how we respond in more conversations would be great. There doesn't feel like there's diverging paths, but this is also rather early so I'd give it the benefit of the doubt there.

To put it in less words, this is an AVN with a real story to it. Not something you see very often, especially to the degree of this one. This is definitely a slow burn among slow burns, but I'm finding it compelling enough to want to keep going. I'm impressed so far.
  8. 5.00 star(s)

Hisoka92

Amazing models, detective story looks really promising and intricate, even random SFX here and there, and a QTE (not that "Q" tho lol)
    Animation is decent without being top quality

Only drawback is that the game seems rather linear at this point, and some choices appear to matter very little, but I'm willing to wait further updates for more embranchments.

No obvious bugs at this time, game runs fine even on a regular laptop

Excellent game, a must play
  9. 4.00 star(s)

sunqian3000

Still maintains the author's high quality, excellent animation, excellent characters, excellent story .
    The problem remains. It's too hardcore . The last one was a secret organization for extortion , The whole time, a girl was drinking pee like water . This work is a cult in which many people go missing .
    Can the next one be a little easier? Lots of sex and big tits and pregnant girls are great too .
  10. 5.00 star(s)

JLP603

Great game so far! Visually pleasing with very high quality graphics easily among the top best I've seen, great banter and dialogue between characters especially about life from the spiritual healing group that you go join for one of your leads in the investigation, confident and not socially awkward mc with a very charismatic charming personality, no engrish, character models dont look generic. Giving it 5 stars to encourage the dev not to abandon the project and to encourage more people to try the game out if it seems interesting to them
  11. 5.00 star(s)

Colorcast555

Overall, a nice game. The models are good, the music . Thanks to the developer for not being greedy with the renders: they change often and there's no static picture (when there's one picture per dozen lines of dialogue). The story... Well here, of course, it's a matter of "taste". It's there and it's not bad. At the beginning I liked at once that the author doesn't suffer from graphomania, the dialogues are not overloaded and to the point. The truth then, I noticed, all the same began to skid, especially the "theatrical" part. :) There are very few choices, everything is rather linear. There's not much "content" yet, which is natural. About the trance... In general, I do not understand what the problem is with some people: in the beginning I chose and did not even think about this option. In general, I liked it, let's see. :)
  12. 5.00 star(s)

DracoXXX

This was definitely a welcome surprise , obviously gonna up its rank with each update.What got me surprised the most is the level of polish which is quite rare in games these days

Even though I wasn't expecting much but it turned out to have an interesting premise especially as an undercover cop which is a totally badass idea(can't believe no one actually tried this b4).The story is also very intriguing hats off to the Dev.

The MC is a well likeable Chad & all the females we meet are interesting with unique personalities which is always a bonus.

Even though the animations are gorgeous they r really short & repeated with different dialogues which seems to be my only gripe.I do hope the dev starts adding longer sex animations / more positions which will add more variety thus removing the monotonous feeling u get during sex scenes.
    Other than that this is a total banger Dev, definitely has the potential to reach greater heights
  13. 4.00 star(s)

Downbadguy95

Surprised to see this game not being that popular when the renders are this high quality and college themed stories seems to be downloaded quite much in this site than games with other settings.
    Anyway I like the story of this game, it obviously has a mystery to it as the protagonist is a undercover cop in a mission to find out about the missing girls. So he has the find out their relationships and social life with others while looking for clues.

So far the characters are written sufficiently and I also like that the models/LIs have distinct look to them from each other unlike some games where the models just have a different hair color with a slight variation in body size.

As for the rendering and animations, they are top notch like up there. The camera angles from time to time felt too much after a while for me and there doesn't seem to be any sex scene as of now except a montage from the beginning. The music is really well done too.

I enjoyed playing this one overall and there is that much content as of now so looking forward to the next update to see where the story goes.
  14. 5.00 star(s)

trex999999

For what it is right now, I really can't imagine not giving it a perfect score. Models are great, animations are top tier. I like the vibe of everything so far.

This might be the one of the few, if not the only game where I am genuinely interested in where the story is going. The "world" building is there and the characters all seem quite interesting. I think some will complain about "not enough sex" but I think the balance was really good, and either way I don't mind with the story and dialogue being actually very good.

It might not end up being your cup of tea, but there is no denying with even surface knowledge on design or writing that this is technically very impressive. I've probably played every single renpy game on this site and this is already looking to be in my top 5 easy if it continues this way.
  15. 5.00 star(s)

Elrox

Sweet game!

Models are pretty good and the music selection is very fitting! The audio bits during dialogue are a nice touch too. Renders are pretty good, though not too many lewds yet. Looking forward to seeing where it all goes!
  16. 5.00 star(s)

memegamerfun

I enjoyed the dev's other game (Fetish Locator) and found this to be both similar and different.

In this game you are an undercover cop investigating a case at the University. At this point, it's all very mysterious and whatever, so I'm pretty interested to see where things end up with it.

Girls look good, scenes so far are interesting enough, and looks like there'll be plenty of potential moving forward.
  17. 3.00 star(s)

PunkHooligan

Mostly good.

For that amount of text - 1 sex scene, 1 hj, 1 bj isn't enough. And it always feels like devs doing shorter less complex/interesting scenes aka bj, hj etc instead of sex just to release content more often. And right here you can't say anything about build up before actual sex, 'cause ladies practically jumping you when you agree to see scene.

Srsly, everything cool, except lewd content. Try it out, you'll like this VN.
  18. 4.00 star(s)

somedude321

It's a pretty good intro, I'll highlight some of the issues I have with it:

- video angle changes that not only take far too long, but are really unnecessary.

- club video (that's 150MB) that could be cut down in run time (or even removed) by 80% and nothing will be lost.
    • Club sequence is mostly fine
    • The transition to the missing posters is nice
    • The frozen people as we slowly zoom out to the title card feels really weird. Would probably be better with a quick zoom-out on the board into a quick zoom-out to the entrance and then add the title.
    - Training video should probably be cut into multiple segments with some interaction in between by the player. It's 2 minutes long.
    • It's odd to have video for basically 1 frame change per second (sometimes longer than a second).
    • Sometimes the angle cuts are too quick and rapidly succeeding. (reminds me of the Taken go over the chain-link fence scene)
    • Standing sex should probably have deeper penetration and her legs wrapped fully around the MC.
    - All the video segments could be sped up to get the point across without losing anything (I would argue it would in fact be a big improvement)

- Where the water flies and the angle it lands on the MC don't match up, he could step in and it should land on the right shoulder/chest area. (and drip down to the pants so he would still have to go nude while changing).

- The hair grows from short to pretty long over the course of a month for the MC and MC's current GF.

Overall a promising premise with a lot of potential. Looking forward to what they will do with this.
  19. 5.00 star(s)

iamamenace

I'm not a fan of fetish locator but this game shows quite a lot of promise! The renders and the cinematics are top notch, the characters look pretty good and the plot seems to be going somewhere interesting.

Only complaint is Josie's whole car crash face surgery thing which just sounded kinda unrealistic since she has no apparent scars or signs of surgery as most facial reconstruction patients usually show.
    Edit: Just realized Josie is a trans woman and I got that dialogue because I chose to call her Josephine lol.

Still a 5/5 game and I'll be waiting on the next update!
  20. 4.00 star(s)

Jaango

Pretty good first release. Seems like there is a good story going on. Animations and visual effects are nice. But MC face looks like a douchebag he seems like an antagonist than a protagonist. His attitude is also kinda like that playboy attitude. This one more like an introduction to the game. Introduced main characters of the game. Compared to fetish locator this one contains a solid story plot don't know how they execute it in the future. There is sound effects it's good and it gives more ampience to the game. But voice effects are annoying like in sims voices like haha, heh, ooh, it's really annoying it doesn't do well with the game. So muted it.

+ Good renders
    + Visual effects and animations
    + Sound effects
    + Story plot

- voice effects like in sims it's annoying
    - MC look likes an antagonist than a protagonist