Tags and Aliens?

IllRepute

Jan 16, 2021
Hello. I am creating a game that has two female aliens. My question is, how do I tag this? Does SCI-FI cut it? Is there a UFO or ALIEN tag that I should use? Would it be considered MONSTER GIRLS? I want to tag it properly, so opinions are welcomed.

If you need a reference both of them are in the picture below (Spoiler)

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

baloneysammich

Jun 3, 2017
You can find tags & descriptions here. Based on that, I'd say no to sci-fi* and yes to monster girl.

OTOH, Tales from the Unending Void has alien chicks and no monster girl tag, so...

* Yes, aliens are sci-fi. But a couple of aliens alone is not a heavy presence of sci-fi themes.

Sci-fi [Used when sci-fi themes are heavily present.]

Last edited:
Reactions: IllRepute

Back

Aug 3, 2017
It most definitely should be tagged with Sci-Fi since that's the actual theme. Aliens, by and large, are categorized that way even in libraries. And by the tag definition here on F95, it surely fits under its umbrella.

It should not be tagged with Monster Girls. Your game is science-fiction since it's some kind of space opera. Monster girls are fantastical and can (but not necessarily) include mythological-based creatures and all sorts of off-the-wall imaginations. Your game can include both Sci-Fi and Monster Girls if your characters, themes, and plot warrant it, but from what is present in your initial post, it should not be tagged with Monster Girls. Games with monster girls lean much more heavily into Fantasy after all.

baloneysammich

Jun 3, 2017
It fits, but it's sketchy.
Yeah, that's the problem. Lots of tags have descriptions that leave too much to interpretation. On the one hand you have Tales from the Unending Void, and on the other you have Callisto.

It most definitely should be tagged with Sci-Fi since that's the actual theme.
All OP actually said is that the game features two aliens. If a game is set in a realistic present but features 2 elves, does that make the fantasy tag appropriate? Not from my perspective.

Last edited:
Reactions: 246 and IllRepute

Back

Aug 3, 2017
Yes, there's some interpretation, but I addressed those points in my post. Also no, there's more information in the opening post than just "two female aliens". One can reasonably glean and infer more from the tags IllRepute was looking into and what is present in the sample image.

I don't know why F95 modified the general usage of the Monster Girl tag, but most sites and how people generally interpret it is like this...
Anything that is not a human, alien, angel, robot, demon, animal, vampire, fairy, elf, or furry.
Whereas aliens here is defined as: "Any character with strong characteristics meant to evoke a being of non-Earth origin. Typically humanoid in shape and lacks features from any real or mythical creature (e.g. eye stalks, no irises, bulbous head, tentacular body parts)." Not to be confused with Monsters; and a non-standard skin color or informed attributes alone will not quality to earn the tag.

As such, and by and large and what most people generally agree to, Aliens fall under Sci-Fi (and is even categorized as such in real world libraries and by media providers/producers when it comes to subject matter on their books, movies, games, and so forth). Monster Girls, on the other hand, lean more heavily towards spheres of Fantasy. Girls that are monsters with human features is the broad definition of it. Generally speaking, it applies when a work humanizes anthropomorphic monsters girls. Sci-Fi works can have Monster Girls, but aliens alone -- especially humanoid ones -- is not enough to warrant the latter tag.

I said my peace. This is generally viewed as the standard take for those tags. If you disagree, then that's fine. I don't want to argue (with you, baloneysammich) and people are free to reinterpret those tags however they want. After all, all words including how tags are defined are all made up, but most folks generally agree with what those words (and tags) mean. Be safe and cheers.

Meaning Less

Engaged Member
Sep 13, 2016
Scifi (theme) + milf (for the right one).

For sure they aren't monster girls, for all intents and purposes they just look like colored human beings. What do we know, it could even be just scifi makeup.

IllRepute

Jan 16, 2021
I think I will skip monster girls as a tag, and put in Sci-fi. As the story develops it should become more clear. Mainly I just don't want to tag the game as Monster Girls and ultimately piss off people who are expecting the more traditional fantasy theme associated with it. I'm glad I asked, thank you all!