VN - Ren'Py - Abandoned - Tale of Pain [v0.3] [CosmosFantina]

1. 2.00 star(s)

Beggarman

In short: I wanted to like this, but these stories seem to just be rips of existing doujins, set over some clips from a slightly-modded Illusion game, and a crying soundtrack put over bits of it. The ethics of that aside: It's not terrible, but overall it just doesn't do much for me.

In longer: I actually don't have a ton to add to the above. Per screenshots in the discussion thread, the game literally rips the speech bubbles from the doujin they're being borrowed from (examples in the thread), just coloured to try and match a character (which the game does sometimes get wrong). There's no adaption being done to the text here, and I don't really think that works for the VN format, as you lose a lot of the flow and balance that comes from how panels and pages are laid out. Were these given a proper adaption for the VN format - change and extend the text and adjust the scenes a bit - then I might be a bit more charitable, but as it stands, it just seems like a low-effort copy attempt.

The visuals are OK. They're ripped from an illusion game, it's kinda hard to fuck that up. I think most of this is just stock content from the game though (animations, clothes, etc) with some occasional manual/modded stuff being added with regards to things like bruising or amputation. Because of this, the animations don't really match the tone of the scenes they're portraying e.g. some relatively sedate fucking being portrayed as really brutal. Personally, I only really liked the look of the last character, but eh, that's just personal taste.

The stories themselves... I'm not certain on. Personally, I am a fan of quite a bit of masochistic content, and can appreciate stuff from a sadistic perspective too sometimes, but this just does nothing for me. It could be that this approach does appeal to someone, but I'm not really sure who. Again, though, I feel like this is because the stories are not really being adapted, they're just being copied. And on that note: Ethically, too, I feel that this being about as straight a copy as it can be without literally posting the doujin pages knocks it down a peg.

I hold out some hope that future editions may have more creative liberties taken with whatever their source material might be, but I wouldn't bet on it. I think this could be really good with some effort taken to do some actual writing and adaption, but currently, this format doesn't really add much.