Fyo

Aug 14, 2017
Can you critique food without being a chef for years? Can you critique game design without being a game developer?
No, you can't. That's why there are professionals who do those things. I thought it was an obvious enough idea that it did not need explaining but here you go: there is a separation between personal taste and objective critique of art. e.g how well it's done within its target style. There is always someone who dislikes something no matter how many people like it. Because I do not understand anything about art my opinion is is just that - my opinion - and nothing else whatsoever. A talented artist or critic might critique the brushstrokes or the anatomy instead. In the case of food, a person with no culinary experience/understanding could only say, " I don't like it." They could not say, "You added too much paprika to this dish." Similarly, when I discuss art, I can say "I don't like it," but I can not say, "The proportions are not balanced."

tl;dr there is a difference between opinion/personal taste and actual critique.

Asura066

May 3, 2018
No, you can't. That's why there are professionals who do those things. I thought it was an obvious enough idea that it did not need explaining but here you go: there is a separation between personal taste and objective critique of art. e.g how well it's done within its target style. There is always someone who dislikes something no matter how many people like it. Because I do not understand anything about art my opinion is is just that - my opinion - and nothing else whatsoever. A talented artist or critic might critique the brushstrokes or the anatomy instead. In the case of food, a person with no culinary experience/understanding could only say, " I don't like it." They could not say, "You added too much paprika to this dish." Similarly, when I discuss art, I can say "I don't like it," but I can not say, "The proportions are not balanced."

tl;dr there is a difference between opinion/personal taste and actual critique.
Very well explained (y)(y)(y)(y)
:WeSmart:

Reactions: Fyo and Dingo139

Jaybig

Sep 9, 2017
guys a little help, im trying to get all the achievements to max out the bonus points, but im only manage to get four "ass to mouth, bitch, bounty hunter, pure hero, fallen godness and harpy wife", anybody know how to get the others? i have no idea... and its worth it to play on the iron man mode?
If you play in android like me and have no access to save files and can't cheat, then it's a necessity to have achievements unlocked so you can get more stat points and perk points. And you only get bonus points when you play ironman. Only then it's worth it.

And as in how to get them; it's been asked before by me and others and answered on previous pages. You just need to search this thread for achievements or the name of a certain one.

Few are tricky so I'll explain here.
For seat of power: brothel, first bounty, tell her her chair creaked and you ass is big which results in Hiro suffocating under madam's ass and bad end.
Queen: lose to beast mistress and then fail all the checkpoints so Hiro becomes her kitty's toy.
One was for horses (dont remember the name) where you need to lose to centaur and fail equestrian checkpoint so she takes you to their camp. Then only have sex with one character (ella or jack) and them marry them.
Nine tails: lose to ghost.

• Red Heart
Reactions: Anaqiya

BigJohnny

Dec 31, 2017
No, you can't.
That was a rhetorical question because yes, you can.
Criticism isn't either automagically valid because you happen to carry a game dev card or null because you don't. Good criticism always attempts to disconnect self and personal bias from the thing you're criticizing. It's insane to think you need to be in a certain clique to either criticize or get criticized yourself. Similarly, many modders and map makers could school modern game developers on game and level design despite not being professionals in the strict meaning of that word.
What you're saying is making a case that game "journalists" do a better job at criticising video games than the fans are simply because they're paid for it.
Your experience with the subject at hand and your argumentation decide whether your criticism is worth jack, not your fart sniffing licence.

RC-1138 Boss

Message Maven
Apr 26, 2017
That is quite ironic. You just proved his point with your example. :D

Modders and map makers have a understading of coding in some game engine, therefore they are the people with enough knowledge in the area to make a informed critic of game development.

I give you other example. Who do you think is more suitable to criticize a paper about cretacean limestone layers? Some layman on the street or a geologist?

• Angry
Reactions: zero1234

BigJohnny

Dec 31, 2017
That is quite ironic. You just proved his point with your example. :D

Modders and map makers have a understading of coding in some game engine, therefore they are the people with enough knowledge in the area to make a informed critic of game development.

I give you other example. Who do you think is more suitable to criticize a paper about cretacean limestone layers? Some layman on the street or a geologist?
A counter example- if only chefs can criticize food how about gourmets? How about people who have eaten all over the world?
I'm not saying every toddler's criticism is as valid as a pro's- I'm saying there's no licence to critique.

Flugelbozz

Nov 12, 2018
A counter example- if only chefs can criticize food how about gourmets? How about people who have eaten all over the world?
I'm not saying every toddler's criticism is as valid as a pro's- I'm saying there's no licence to critique.
No license to critique - true. However, people value your criticisms anyway based on your occupation, reputation, etc. Your criticism as a layman has no reputation behind it so we, the onlookers, take it at face value.
In order to combat this, people post the fact that they have a fart sniffing license so they are taken more seriously. It sometimes works, sometimes doesn't, but at the end of the day, I get updates every week. Just my two cents.

Hordragg

Lesser-Known Mesmer
Game Compressor
Donor
Apr 2, 2019
what if I just got one file from the download called "TalesOfAndrogyny.jar" and there is no toa-data folder?
The folder is not distributed with the game but rather created by the game upon first run. It's also hidden by default on most OSs. If you want to carry your saves over from one installation to the other you can simply copy the folder. If you want to use a full save posted by someone you should run the game at least once and then look through .tao-data for files with the same or similar names. Hope this helps!

Hordragg

Lesser-Known Mesmer
Game Compressor
Donor
Apr 2, 2019
Then you just have the java file, you have to download the full game in order to play it, and furthermore, instal the save file.
The jar file is in fact the full game. The provided launchers just save you the hassle of entering this
Bash:
java -jar TalesOfAndrogyny.jar
if your OS won't start jars by double-clicking.

Reactions: Fyo and BPLydia
4.50 star(s) 144 Votes