Test release of game I've been working on [Very early alpha]

gobman

Oct 20, 2017
Hey everyone! I've been developing a game since the start of the year and just wanted to share with you my effort. It's very early alpha, and I just need any renpy experts to tell me errors in my coding or where I could be more efficient. Also how I should compress my files or just what file formats to use in general, I feel that having most of my images in .png format bloats the file size tremendously.

Anyway, here you are:

gobman

Oct 20, 2017
A lot of the images aren't final, I know there's a lot of clipping during certain scenes. However, you get a glimpse of my photoshop efforts to conceal that clipping during the "Mentor in bath" segment. Remember, very early stages. A lot of clunkiness and missing features to be found.

gobman

Oct 20, 2017
Anyone who's played it care to chime in with your thoughts? What should I do before I continue development? Anything you take major issues with?

mickydoo

Fudged it again.
Game Developer
Jan 5, 2018
Anyone who's played it care to chime in with your thoughts? What should I do before I continue development? Anything you take major issues with?
I dont take any notice and/or judge peoples games by story/renders (unless the latter are really bad), however from a dev point of view -

Don't use that scrolling text thingy or what ever it is called, just make the text appear in one go.

Where is the back button?

Unless you really want to/have to, leave the quick menu in its default sate/location, renpy players are used to it where it is.

Naming every character is a thing people complain about.

Even if they don't, naming their relationship to you is a thing people complain about.

Even if that's not, naming your relationship to them is a thing people complain about.

And even if that's not it is pointless anyway, if you say she your sister, its obvious that you are not her camel driver.

The art is not my style but I like it :D

The game has a good feel to it (I only played about 2 mins)

gobman

Oct 20, 2017
Here's a trailer for one of my videos.

moudy

Mar 2, 2017
I'm not gonna judge the images, but I am gonna judge a bit of the code.

1) Having the option to just choose to have default names and relationships is always a plus. That way some fan could make an incest "patch" that just names all of them as mom, sister etc. For the characters you find later on than in the intro, you could have a check for "if default == false" it jumps into giving you an option to change names/relationships. Also, that way you could just add in the variable.rpy file the relationships/names so you don't have to define them as players discover them.
2) Code line 336 in script.rpy has a bug where [Player_name] does not exist.. because it is defined as [player_name]
3) Having a mix of uppercase and lowercase in names/relationships is gonna confuse you alot (for example player name with lower P but having mentor name with capital M)
4) You should really look into shortening the names to for example pn for player_name and mn for Mentor_name, because otherwise it just begs for a mistype somewhere along the line.
5) Since you are opting for a sandbox game, you might want to add all the rooms as separate .rpy files. That way it makes it easier to add in content that is supposed to happen in each room as the game progresses and quicker to find bugs if there are any instead of needing to go through the entire script file.
6) I recommend adding in a variable with all the ages, that way you can just call for example [mcage] and it will always show the correct age for all the people. Otherwise you risk mixing the numbers together.
7) Since this is a sandbox game, you could get into trouble when/if you add in some relationship stats that you could check while in play. Since you only define the names and relationships as you meet them, Renpy will see it as "name not defined" and crash the game if you happen to check it and not all characters have been met.
8) Speaking of relationships stats, I noticed that you do have some menus, but non of the answers mean anything except some extra dialogs only inside that menu. So even if you are mean to your sister, it will not change anything. People like choices that actually matter. Even if it's just a mention later on in the game that you were mean to her or something is gonna make alot of people happy. So I would recommend either a flag system (like sis_pretty = True) or a point system (like sis_ugly +1)
edit: Alright I noticed that some of the choices have lust added to them and you already have a status screen, so ignore point 8 for the most part, but keep no.7 is the back of your mind
edit2: there is a possible bug after events since you hide all the inventory/stats menu and all of that, they do not reappear after the event until you switch rooms. Not sure if it is intentional or not.

Naturally I realize that this is your game and you can do as you please, but this is just some thoughts about the code of the game before it becomes a real problem later on with more complicated options and events triggers.

Last edited:
Reactions: osanaiko

gobman

Oct 20, 2017
An update, much more fleshed out and with a functional UI. More features like the inventory and a money system. Less bugs (checked it thoroughly, only bug I could find was with the tomboy not having the option to do something after school). Here it is:

Last edited: