Ren'Py Text Replacement

TheXXXMan

Mar 11, 2018
I'm very new to Ren'Py and trying to learn to create a Character name renaming/replacement screen mod for a game. The game I'm looking to do this for also looks like has the names in the dialogue/text hardcoded not referenced by the character variables.

I reviewed several posts/threads here and found this Excellent Post by @anne O'nymous to cover all of what I think is needed. A lot of the other posts also talked about using config.say_menu_text_filter , however looking at the Ren'Py docs I also see this Ren'Py which I think would do a more complete job since the docs say it covers text on the interface as well.

questions I have is using config.replace_text bad or worse than config.say_menu_text_filter ? would it cause issues I'm not yet aware of that I should avoid using it?

Thanks

Last edited:

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
questions I have is using config.replace_text bad or worse than config.say_menu_text_filter ? would it cause issues I'm not yet aware of that I should avoid using it?
config.replace_text cover all text that can handle substitution, therefore it also works in screens, while as its name say, config.say_meny_text_filter only works with dialog/narration and menus. Therefore, strictly speaking there isn't one that is better than the other.
Which one to use depend on what you'll have to do. If there's a screen giving the character's stats, by example, you'll have to use the first one. If you just need to change dialog/narration and menus, the second will be a bit less demanding for Ren'Py.

Reactions: Saint Blackmoor