Tool Ren'Py Text To Clipboard

oidex

Jan 9, 2018
Someone once askes me to help them hook text from RenPy games so he could run it through a translator while playing, without fiddling with the engine itself.
After seeing someone else ask for the same, I though why not upload it here.
Maybe someone has a use for it.

Just drop it into the /game folder and all standard text should be copied to the clipboard in the form of "[Speaker] Text".
You can then have TranslationAggregator or whatever you use auto-grab it from there.

Caveat: It won't copy input prompts (e.g. "Enter you Name").

Bober

Aug 13, 2016
Thanks a lot, this is great.
I tried to change the voice and speed of the self voicing feature of RenPy many times and failed.
This solves my problem.

alma001

Sep 16, 2017
Hello oidex just wanted to inform you that the script you've made is extremely helpful!

I am a bit visually impaired so I am using it for a text-to-speech program since the built in text-to-speech feature in renpy reads out all menu visible on the screen as well which makes in not usable for many games.

If you have time and would like to, I could advise you two improvements.

One is that it copies the names telling the things as well, which is fine in case of dialogues but in case of a narrative part everything starts with "None" because of it, maybe you could filter this out before putting the text to clipboard.

Another is that if the text contains colored parts (names in many games for example) or images (hearts in many games for example) then the whole code is copied, maybe you can filter these tags out before copying to clipboard.

Here is an example for both, the text in the game is simply "His name is Eric and we have been going out for two years now, since we both started college.":

[None] His name is {color=#0066CC}Eric{/color} and we have been going out for two years now, since we both started college.

But again, your script is already really helpful and thank you for it!

Edit: I've solved both. I am not a programmer at all, so please don't laugh on my code, just did some google research. Let me upload it if anyone in the future will come here and needs these updates. Also, oidex, feel free to come up with a better solution if you think so, and thanks for the idea, I hope you don't take as an insult that I've modified your file.

Last edited:

oidex

Jan 9, 2018
Hello oidex just wanted to inform you that the script you've made is extremely helpful!

I am a bit visually impaired so I am using it for a text-to-speech program since the built in text-to-speech feature in renpy reads out all menu visible on the screen as well which makes in not usable for many games.

If you have time and would like to, I could advise you two improvements.

One is that it copies the names telling the things as well, which is fine in case of dialogues but in case of a narrative part everything starts with "None" because of it, maybe you could filter this out before putting the text to clipboard.

Another is that if the text contains colored parts (names in many games for example) or images (hearts in many games for example) then the whole code is copied, maybe you can filter these tags out before copying to clipboard.

Here is an example for both, the text in the game is simply "His name is Eric and we have been going out for two years now, since we both started college.":

[None] His name is {color=#0066CC}Eric{/color} and we have been going out for two years now, since we both started college.

But again, your script is already really helpful and thank you for it!

Edit: I've solved both. I am not a programmer at all, so please don't laugh on my code, just did some google research. Let me upload it if anyone in the future will come here and needs these updates. Also, oidex, feel free to come up with a better solution if you think so, and thanks for the idea, I hope you don't take as an insult that I've modified your file.
Looks good to me. I might have precompiled the regex to save a microsecond of execution time but that's just playing around. Also, this is a pirate forum, so you can take, modify and redistribute my stuff however you like, as long as you aren't a dick and charge others for it. ;)

Dan5k74

Oct 6, 2017
Someone once askes me to help them hook text from RenPy games so he could run it through a translator while playing, without fiddling with the engine itself.
After seeing someone else ask for the same, I though why not upload it here.
Maybe someone has a use for it.

Just drop it into the /game folder and all standard text should be copied to the clipboard in the form of "[Speaker] Text".
You can then have TranslationAggregator or whatever you use auto-grab it from there.

Caveat: It won't copy input prompts (e.g. "Enter you Name").
Thank you for the very useful tool, but I was wondering if it would be possible to create a similar one that could instead hook exclusively the text lines related to the choices present in Renpy games (those in the choice menus, to be clear).
Something like this (let's call it a Playthrough Helper or Choice Recorder) would be very useful to me to greatly speed up the task of creating playtroughs to export as text documents or more simply to record, in a similar type of file, the choices made in a given game path (sometimes I've found myself picking up a game I haven't played in a long time and wondering, "How did I get here? What are the choices I made?"). Thanks in advance for any kind of response you would like to give to my request.

oidex

Jan 9, 2018
Thank you for the very useful tool, but I was wondering if it would be possible to create a similar one that could instead hook exclusively the text lines related to the choices present in Renpy games (those in the choice menus, to be clear).
Something like this (let's call it a Playthrough Helper or Choice Recorder) would be very useful to me to greatly speed up the task of creating playtroughs to export as text documents or more simply to record, in a similar type of file, the choices made in a given game path (sometimes I've found myself picking up a game I haven't played in a long time and wondering, "How did I get here? What are the choices I made?"). Thanks in advance for any kind of response you would like to give to my request.
I tried something like this
Python:
init python:
    import inspect
    import pygame.scrap

def to_clipboard(text):
        who = inspect.currentframe().f_back.f_locals.get('who')
        if who is None:
            pygame.scrap.put(pygame.scrap.SCRAP_TEXT, text.encode("utf-8"))

return text

config.say_menu_text_filter = to_clipboard
But for some reason that only grabs the last choice.
If it's possible as a /game/.rpy drop-in I don't see how, you'd probably have to grab it in the renpy engine code directly

Reactions: Dan5k74

Six0

Mar 22, 2019
Please tell me there's a way to tweak this so that the [Speaker] names aren't copied and only the dialog text is. That's exactly what I've been needing for Text-to-Speech in Ren'py games, since the built in clipboard voicing can't do this.

EDIT: Nevermind, after some trial and error I found the code that works.
Change: line = "[%s] %s" % (d.get("who"), d.get("what"))
to: line = "%s" % (d.get("what"))

THANK YOU FOR THIS SCRIPT!

Last edited:

leowolf1993

Jun 30, 2023
Hello, I have been using your Python script to retrieve text for translation purposes. However, I have a question: Is it possible to extract options from within a game? Do you have any good methods for this? Thank you very much.

Six0

Mar 22, 2019
Hello, I have been using your Python script to retrieve text for translation purposes. However, I have a question: Is it possible to extract options from within a game? Do you have any good methods for this? Thank you very much.
You can use Ren'Py's built-in Text-to-Clipboard feature for that (Shift+A). Since it copies EVERYTHING to the clipboard instead of just dialog and names.

And while I'm here, this script could really use an on/off switch. It's already the best Ren'Py script in the world, but could be even better. Because the only caveat is when you use skip/fast-forward, it's prone to triggering errors.

leowolf1993

Jun 30, 2023
You can use Ren'Py's built-in Text-to-Clipboard feature for that (Shift+A). Since it copies EVERYTHING to the clipboard instead of just dialog and names.

And while I'm here, this script could really use an on/off switch. It's already the best Ren'Py script in the world, but could be even better. Because the only caveat is when you use skip/fast-forward, it's prone to triggering errors.
Thanks for the reply, but unfortunately, after I pressed shift+c to turn on the clipboard, I still couldn't copy the menu options to the clipboard ......
Am I doing something wrong? Or do different versions have different behaviors?

Six0

Mar 22, 2019
Thanks for the reply, but unfortunately, after I pressed shift+c to turn on the clipboard, I still couldn't copy the menu options to the clipboard ......
Am I doing something wrong? Or do different versions have different behaviors?
Did you try hovering the mouse over what you want copied? I know whenever I used the built-in text to clipboard, it copied any menu item I mouseovered and that was hella annoying because I use a text-to-speech app. If it's not doing that for you, maybe the menu items aren't text, but images. Since y'know, some Ren'Py devs are pretentious like that.