Ren'Py - Abandoned - The Blackwood Horror [v0.1] [Kyrie]

1. 5.00 star(s)

Dr. Lewdwig

(Reviewed v0.1 after seeing all available content)

TLDR:
    My actual rating for this release is ✭✭✭✰✰.
    I gave it 5 stars hoping this would encourage the dev to carry on.
    The story is promising, but for now that's basically it.
    If you're looking for the adult content, you may want to wait. I do however believe this game deserves supporting.

A Bit More Context:
    This game is attempting to create an unlikely marriage; a Lovecraftian horror story plus adult features. The adult aspects are planned to lead to either 'love' or 'submission' of MC's love interests.
    This made me curious. It is hard to get it right.

⭐ Story is meant to be this game's thing.
    If you are advertising your game to be inspired by "shadow over innsmouth" it means we'll encounter 'fear of the unknown' and 'overwhelming madness' and possibly somewhere down the road 'tentacles'.
    This game alludes to these, but since there is little content here it's hard to tell.

Given the elements already present, I can see the dev has a story in mind. I hope they get to tell it without having to meander through regular fan-servicing we see in most adult games.

⭐ Graphics? Well ...
    Nothing to write home about. However, some of the gloomy low res renders actually help enhance the creepy setting of the game? Was this by design or an unfortunate decision? Or both?
    Also, I feel like some of the face models change in some scenes and throughout the game. Is this really the case or the eldritch horror is slowly getting to me?

My humble suggestions to the developer:

1) Proofreading is necessary

English is my 4th language, so I'm no place to judge someone for their grammatical errors. And I don't care about it ... usually.
    But 'story' or rather 'written words' play a pivotal role in this game. I strongly recommend utilizing the help of some native English-speaking friend before each release.

2) Be careful about the 'scale' of your game
    Be careful about about the size of your ambition my friend. I smelled some grind in this release and although it is common in many adult games I'm not sure if it would jive well with the Lovecraftian horror theme.
    Perhaps telling the story in chapters is not a bad idea here. It would help you avoid slow burns.

3) The 'love/submission' routes duality ...
    OK, this is probably my subjective opinion. I think the decision to have options here is going to need a lot of upkeep and effort in the future and will possibly hinder the flow of your story.
    To put it bluntly, given a city inflicted by 'eldritch horror' I think the relationships tend to go one way ... but then again, it's up to you.

⭐Conclusion:
    This game has great potential. Even though most of that potential isn't shown, it is 'implied'.
    Good luck to the developer.
  2. 1.00 star(s)

Hyperserver

I know... it's hard to review a game based on first release, but i will do it nevertheless:
    It's not recommended for now.
    - renders are way below average (bad composing and very grainy)
    - characters look abnormal and weird
    - sandbox mode just for the sake of grind
    - navigation without popup tips suck
    - some other minor stuff

It's one more game of these "sandbox games" which aren't really sandbox games, but more like grind-feast games.
    A sandbox game should give you freedom to chose what you are doing next, and NOT be used to force player to grind the same scenes with SAME dialogues over and over again - that just sucks.
    If you want to create a path where you slowly corrupt her over 5 days, then the fuck create 5 different scenes for that and don't repeat the same boring stuff over and over again.
    It doesn't even make sense to read the spoken text, as after second "event" it doesn't even match the sory and only makes the experience more weird.

I really NOT recommend to waste your time spending on this.

(review maybe will be changed if things turn out better after some updates, but i doubt it will)