VN - Others - Completed - The Director and My Kanojo ~How an Actress's Ovum Became That Bastard's Personal Spunk Depository~ [Final] [Mekujira]

1. 3.00 star(s)

InstaPrincess

I really like this game, but I shouldn't.

It is lengthy and the build up is endless with a lot of apparently meaningless exchange. The art is barely servicable outside the sex scenes.

What makes everything worse is the poor quality of the MTL. You can't really get into a story like that.

But underneath all that, there's a good VN. It's current MTL iteration is not worth it though.
  2. 4.00 star(s)

rezaf

How do you rate a game like this, or more particularly, what do you rate?
    The game or the translation?
    I decided to go for the game, mostly, but I'll go into the translation a little bit first, without having it affect the score all that much.
    Please bear that in mind when reading the review. Reviewing the translation effort by itself would have to result in a one star rating, it's a machine translation without any manual retouch, and as such is pretty horrendous. Look at the way the title has been translated and you get a good idea of what to expect. The translation is good enough for you to understand what's going on, especially if you're already aware of the pitfalls of translating Japanese, but it takes a good dose of frugality to bear with it.

Another note about the game itself, I already played this a number of years ago with a translation engine and decided to revisit it during a recent short period without internet connection. So here goes.

The visuals:
    I'm not a fan of anime art. I have a very hard time tolerating these HUGE eyed girls with letters or even emojis for their eyes to convey emotions, that stuff is not for me. What I can tolerate is what I believe they actually call westernized art over there, where you still clearly see the anime influence, but it's a little less pronounced. This games' art style is pretty much at the limit of what I'm able to tolerate. I won't subtract from the score because I dislike the art style unless it's objectively bad, but still, I though it worth mentioning.
    With that out of the way, I think the game's art is serviceable, but little more. It's not the bare minimum of static pictures and contains shenanigans often found in these sorts of games, slight movements or zooming in and out as well as blending back and forth between slightly modified pictures to convey some 'action', but it's still fairly low effort.
    What's there is well drawn, though. As it's the law over in Japan, the genitals are pixelated, which ... it's certainly not perfect, but it is as it is.
    I've seen far worse art in Japanese games, so I'm going to say you get what you can expect here.

The sound:
    Typical for Japanese VNs, you get a voiced female heroine (and there's really only the one heroine here, so one voice actress, that's it).
    Personally, I think having sound during sexual encounters does improve the appeal and even somewhat makes up for the lack of animations, so thumbs up for that. (Without sound, I'd probably have to deduct a star from the rating.) There's also music, some is ... okay, one track in particular I found annoying because it contained some sound effect that reminds me of that sound when you collect coins in a platformer, but other than that ... gets the job done.

The gameplay:
    It's a VN, and mostly a kinetic one. There's not really anything here worthy of the name 'gameplay'.

The story:
    The game's story is very limited in scope and contains barely any choices - it's really only LITTLE more than a kinetic novel. I think there's three binary choices, one of which results in an immediate game over upon picking the second choice and one that technically contains a third choice, but that one gives out advice on which of the other options to pick and loops back to the choice, so it doesn't really count. That's as barebone as it gets.

Whilst this is disappointing, as especially choices and their impacts are a staple and strength of Japanese VNs, I'm not sure it has a huge negative impact here. The game does / conveys what it says on the tin, and that's about it.

The introduction segment is fairly long, but that's par for the course for Japanese NTR games, that's supposed to establish the "hurt" you're supposed to feel when your LI is finally stolen from you.

And as it is, this one thing basically boils down to whether or not this game is worth playing for you, regardless of the rating I give.
    If you're not into NTR, don't play this game, it's the main theme.
    You CAN mostly ignore it from some point on and treat it as a corruption game, but it still is a NTR VN.
    Whilst almost all the action includes the heroine and not the protagonist, the biggest part of the story is told from the protagonists perspective (and he gets to make the FEW choices).
    If you're not into the idea of a "middle aged man", I believe is the term the translation uses, corrupting a young actress into various sexual acts, this isn't the game for you, stay away.

If you like or at least can tolerate both those themes, the game is okay. It's nothing spectacular by any means, it's disappointing in the lack of player agency, but it does what it says on the tin.
    The corruption angle is, by genre standards, maybe at least a little bit believable, and when the action finally starts, the juicy bits can be fairly fappable.

If I hadn't actually known the game and was aware of it's tight scope, I might have deducted a star from the final rating, but I decided to be generous today.
    And, to repeat what's been mentioned at the very beginning here, if you can't tolerate the fairly bad machine translation, this also isn't the game for you, unfortunately. For westerners, the very style of Japanese prose can be challenging to begin with, but here, it also comes with a pretty lacking translation. Bear that in mind.