VN - Ren'Py - Completed - The End of an Actress [Final] [ebi-hime]

1. 5.00 star(s)

Blizzard99

(Version Reviewed: Completed Game)

Beautiful game. Such a bittersweet story.

The art looks very good. It looks erotic without being lewd. Kinda fits the story telling.

Game has 5 endings. And all of them ends up being more bittersweet than the last one. Loved how we are introduced to Liliane (from the perspective of Marius) and just like him, I disliked her for her callousness. But, the more we learn about her, the more I fell in love with her character. She did not change completely during her captivity. But, she is easy to love despite all her flaws.

Found both Marius and Liliane to be quite an attractive pair. Wish we learned about what happened to Berendice at the end of each ending. I had hoped that Liliane became pregnant with Marius' child in the one ending where she escaped, but again the game managed to leave me wanting more.

Great job by all the people who were involved with the project and I wish them all the best for their future works.
  2. 5.00 star(s)

kartolas

Beautiful, so beautiful I created a folder just for it so I won't forget. I have to say I only experienced 3 ends but I think It was enough, for now.
    The art could have been better, but who cares, it was good enough.
    It made me think about how governments work and the meaning of life. People should definitely read more stuff like this, me included.

Thank you and I hope to see more from this dev/writer.

Good luck.

Version: Final.
  3. 5.00 star(s)

jufot

This was such a lovely VN!

As I've come to expect, ebi-hime is once again at the top of her writing skill with The End of an Actress. Inspired by Marie Antoinette's life towards the end of the French Revolution, this beautiful VN gives a great portrayal of how there is always more than one side to a story and how, just because it's gilded, a cage doesn't stop being a prison.

The game is aided immensely by excellent background and character artwork, a high number of CGs and a hauntingly beautiful soundtrack.

But more than anything else, I love, loooove how despite having 5 different endings, they are all miserable in their own way. It takes guts for a writer to do that, and after playing The End of Actress, I find myself silently admiring ebi-hime for creating this little piece of wonder.
  4. 5.00 star(s)

UntitledParadox

Loveliest VN ever! An emotional and beautiful journey. Gotta love the character development. Very brilliantly written - seems realistic. Story easily surpasses Romeo & Juliet for me. Wish it was longer and included more things related to the real life Marie Antoinette.
  5. 4.00 star(s)

Deleted member 1044747

Talkin' 'bout a revolution

The End of an Actress is a very atmospheric adult visual novel with beautiful art and music.

The historical setting (heavily inspired by revolutionary late 18th century France) is pretty unique.

I'm not too fond of the manga inspired looks of the characters (I'd prefer a more "western" style), but that's just my personal taste.

The writing is top notch - from an artistical point of view.
    Unfortunately, it's also quite verbose - too much for my liking.

Several hours into the story (and yes, I like adult VNs with a good story) I asked myself:
    Am I enjoying this?

In the end characters, dialogue and story couldn't captivate me enough to keep on reading.

If I had to rate The End of an Actress by its enjoyment factor, it would probably be closer to a 3 star rating, but I don't want to drag down the overall rating too much - that would be undeserving for such a beautifully crafted VN.
  6. 5.00 star(s)

Deleted member 609064

I cried so much during this VN. I love a romantic tragedy and this one is brilliantly done.

The writing is spectacular. The characters are deep. The story feels like it's based on true events.

Great art. Wonderful pacing. Nails the balance between narration and dialog. The characters continue to get richer as the story progresses.

I cannot say enough good things about this VN. This is not a sex game. There is very little sex. It's a very sophisticated romance story.

Heart-breaking in a cathartic, and ultimately positive, way.