Ren'Py - The Fixer [v0.3.2.34] [Sam_Tail]

1. 2.00 star(s)

aifgamer

There's a seed of a good game in here somewhere, but in its current state it's a tedious, repetitive grindfest. Even holding down the skip button, scenes are excessively drawn out because the developer has programmed in little graphical pops with each successive dialogue box, slowing an already grindy game down to an absolute crawl.

Pacing issues aside, in its current state the game feels like a puddle a mile wide and an inch deep. Would be a better game if it focused on telling a story and abandoned the sandbox aspects.
  2. 4.00 star(s)

here2bust999

Overall, really a great game. Decent amount of content and quests. Not very grindy at all. With a few small tweaks, this is an easy 5 star game. It is annoying how sometimes when having a consensual encounter you will become traumatized. It is also annoying that you cannot accept sexual favors while being a virgin, when the character could still maintain her virginity by offering other services beside vaginal sex. Hopefully the dev will make these changes at some point. Art is very good as well.

4.5/5, well done!
  3. 4.00 star(s)

JoJoPool

I'm not a big fan of hentai/cartoon style games but this is one of the few exceptions for me, The art is of good quality and it actually adapts to the created MC, with how most character creation games only affect the avatar this was a nice surprise and a big plus, there's also a wide range of customization options.
    I think the addition of animation to the scenes will make this game stand out even more and take it to the next level.
    The dev could also improve by adding more variety to the male npcs like body types (chubby, thin, muscular...), at this moment every male npc feels the same.
    Some items like the nail polisher for example can be a struggle to find since it's based on chance, it's frustrating.
    I won't take into account the handful of bugs i found since i understand this is a test build.
    I expected to find a lot more content than there already is since this has been going for 4 years now but i was blown away regardless and glad that i gave this a try, the dev definitely has something good going here.
  4. 3.00 star(s)

popabear

The Fixer [v0.3.2.30] review

Short review:
    It's got all the bells and whistles but none of the core gameplay and it's broken and bugged to shit.

The concepts for this game are amazing and the customization options, different seasons, random events et c are all super cool. But that doesn't fucking matter when the game is a near unplayable broken mess with loose threads everywhere.
    It's bugged, it's unfocused and the dev seems to have serious problems committing to a gameplay concept and making it work and be interesting. The coding seems to be a one-and-done affair and it shows. Please for the love of God, dear dev, play through your own game before releasing. Preferably multiple times, and fix the jank. Take a few updates to finish what you've started before trying to crank out some new feature or questline. And maybe sit next to someone trying to play this for the first time and watch them struggle and you would maybe understand what I'm getting at here. This game is a tapestry of a million great ideas, none of which are followed through to completion. It's frustrating to say the least.

If this game wasn't a broken mess I would score it a lot higher.
  5. 2.00 star(s)

Centarius

The Good:
    If you were to ask me three years ago what score I'd have given this game it would have been more positive with the hopes for things to come, given that a lot of time and updates have been made I'm more comfortable giving this game an honest review.

I will start with what I think IS good. Unlike other games out there in The Fixer you can customize how your character looks like from the start and it's impressive how your looks are incorporated into (most) of the scenes rather seamlessly. It's not a very detailed system but having the option to is a really nice touch. Clothing and accessories are also another factor in the customization with the wardrobe function which is pretty clean.

The traits that were added later on during character creation are also a nice touch, with some changing how your character reacts to certain events which is another positive, although it's mostly a surface level mechanic as it doesn't really go too in depth into them.

The UI is decent and I do like the changing descriptions about your character's status, quests, and NPC's, although there is a slight issue with accidentally going backwards with the scroll wheel while navigating menus that are large enough that you have to scroll down to read them.

The story, while not the most innovative is okay, it's not the best out there but it does a serviceable enough job to get your mind in the right place. The main missions are by far the best part and the heaviest section with the Haven mission is the highlight of the game so far, you have multiple ways you can try and solve the quest with several different outcomes. There's a variety of sex scenes as well in that quest that really makes it feel like you're pretending to be a street urchin that's working for this Institute.

A serviceable pregnancy mechanic with descriptions on who done it, the added weight does feel like there are consequences to actions, this also extends to getting addicted to drugs and alcohol which ties nicely into the stat system (mood, attractiveness, intelligence, fitness etc.)

The Bad:
    When I first played this game the Haven content had just been fleshed out and up to that point there were no continuation of the story. So it was really a disappointment that after three years the main story line hasn't even been continued with since the release of Haven. There are so many story threads in the game that go nowhere because they haven't been completed, quests and dialogue options that you can't even continue. The game at first presents itself like it has an ocean of content, but in reality if you stuck your foot into the waters you would soon find out that it's rather shallow in depth.

The sex scenes outside of the main story mission are rather repetitive and shallow, using the same positions over and over again. The dialogue changes depending on what traits you have while a nice touch doesn't really do much to prevent that feeling of having seen it again.

The game is rather short so far and it tries to pad it's runtime by allowing you to grind for stats that don't really add much to the game at all. Not to mention these stats can decrease with the passage of time which makes it all the more infuriating, you do have the option do use cheats to expedite this so with that the true amount of content in the game can be completed in just a handful of hours.

This game feels like it's trying to go in too many directions at once, it's a jack of all trades but a master of none. As of this moment in update 0.3.2.26 it feels rather lackluster especially if like me you've been following this project for several years now. Maybe this will change in the future, but given it's current track record I wouldn't hold my breath on it.
  6. 5.00 star(s)

VikingPil0t

I love this game. The art is very good and unique, and I really like the story line and where its heading. The game play loop is also very fun and open to do what you want. The bar job is very fun and lewd, and I can't wait for the prostitution update that's coming soon. Character customization is really good also.
    Overall this is one of the best lewd games out there.
  7. 5.00 star(s)

Lonnaa

A very good game with great character customization, lots of random and non-random events, some of which are triggered by the protagonist's status. I particularly like the appearance system, linked to clothing, which affects the interaction of pnjs with the protagonist. The main story is currently short, though.
  8. 3.00 star(s)

Golden Idiot

Version: v0.3.2.14

First and foremost, i have to really compliment the player customisation. I have never played a game that allows you to customise your to such a great extent with an amazing clothing choice using the Ren'py engine of all the things. Second aspect of this game i can really compliment is the art, it is simple, but effective and somewhat beautiful. Third aspect of this game that deserves praise is the sexual scenes, it lacks variety, yes, but what you have available is very well made visually and your custom character is visible in all of her glory.

There goes the positives, now, onward to the negatives. I would say that this game doesnt have any major negatives, but it has a lot of small ones that end up accumilating into a large mass that kills my vibe. First problem is a bit hard to grasp, but it feels like i everything i do is surface level. My decisions, what i will do, the impact that it will have, all of it has very low impact on the world that you play. But even if it did feel like there was an impact to your actions, i dont think it would matter that much. Considering the game has a stupid setting that doesnt make too much sense. The characters, both the protagonist and side characters are all very shallow as well.
    You of course have the pointless grind like in almost all Ren'Py games, so that is really no suprise, effectively there is no any real gameplay because your choice of your grind path doesnt matter. And the final thing that really makes this game feel colourless is the corruption aspect of the MC. It all goes from 0 to 100 instantly, your characters goes from completely innocent to a complete slut in a flash, there is no foreplay in the between these two extremes.

Overall some great ideas and executions, but in the process the devs abandoned other aspects of what make a great game on the sidewalks. So i really cannot give this highter then then 3 stars, even though i would love to give it a higher rating.
  9. 3.00 star(s)

rb813

There was a period a couple years ago, when I was trying to only play games with female protagonists (long story). During that period, this was pretty much the top of the list for my personal tastes. I was quite obsessed with it for a while. But I moved on, and I've just now come back to see what's changed since I played last (I believe the last version was 0.2.40; this review is of 0.3.2.14). I tried starting with Exhibitionist, because the guide said it would provide "access to special exhibitionist branches," but that was mostly just letting the character be naked anywhere, without much else being changed by that. Not only did that trait not seem to do much, but I found it annoying how much lack of impact nakedness has in this game. At one point, I had the MC walk into the landlord's office completely naked and ask if there was anything else she could do to cover her rent payments, and the landlord had absolutely no reaction at all. It kinda makes nudity and exhibitionism feel pointless and almost strips the sexiness out of being naked, since no one else in the game world seems to think it's sexy.

So I restarted and tried Bambi, and apparently it wasn't actually the Exhibitionist trait that allowed me to have the MC walk around in her underwear from day 1. In the older versions of the game I played before, the game would prevent you from doing that, but it seems like parts of it have been pretty massively overhauled. I guess the idea is that you can lose your clothes (like maybe someone yanks your skirt away while you're on the bus, and then you might be left with nothing to wear unless you can scavenge some from the dumpster). So obviously the game can't fully prevent you from going around with no clothes for that element of it to work, but it could still have a thing where it checks whether you have clothes you could wear (while also checking whether you're conservative enough to care about the exposure), and then doesn't let you leave if you clear those checks. I think with a female corruption game, there has to be some resistance to the player just immediately making the character a slut, and I thought this game did a good job of that before (almost too good; it was really difficult and grindy to ever get started down a sexual path if you didn't make sure to lose your virginity in the first scripted Fixer mission). Even back then, it didn't feel like her first time with various milestones was a particularly momentous occasion, just kinda happening without much fanfare. But now, stuff can happen without much fanfare AND without any buildup.

In the old days, I recall it being a long process to unlock the option to have sex with the soccer boys. In this version, I did one dare match (that was just for money, not even like stripping or anything sexual), and the next time I checked the additional options, the fuck button was there. And it might've been there before, because I wasn't checking it regularly, and it's not like it lights up to tell you a new option is available. So basically, all you have to do is play soccer with the boys for a few days until they invite you to drink with them behind the school, and then talk with them back there for a few days, and then there's a "have full vaginal intercourse" button that's just right there for you, despite having no warm-up or build-up or lead-in of any kind. That doesn't feel like "corruption" at all. As a "slut game" (a game where you can just look at a cute girl do sexy things), I'd give this a slightly higher rating than the older versions, because of the multiple breast sizes and some new poses here and there. As a corruption game, I would give it a very low rating.

Also, there were times (especially when the MC was very drunk) when she wouldn't take money for sex, but would give it away for free. I think that was already a problem in the older versions, but it seems more pronounced when there's a big banner at the top saying why she's not interested, and then she turns around and does it for fun half an hour later. And yes, I appreciate that "I'll have sex for pleasure, but I'm not a whore" is a legitimate way that some people feel, but that's not how I want to build my character, and I wish there were some way to tune those preferences in the game. One of the possible banner statuses when people try to solicit the MC is "I don't want to, but I need the money," and I wish there was some way (without modding the scripts) to have the RNG be more biased in favor of that result, because that's the kind of corruption narrative I personally want to play (I want her to be coerced by circumstances, not violent force).

The fundamental core of how this game works has great potential for some very sexy emergent storytelling, but it's just not polished enough. And given how much focus has been spent on elements of the game that have absolutely nothing to do with that aspect of it, it's looking like it probably never will be.

[EDIT: I went back to a fresh New Game to see exactly how long it would take to get the sex button with the soccer boys. Starting with the waif trait, I spent as much of every day with the boys as I could. It took them six school days to invite Sammy out back, and then three more days for Nate to say the thing about how he wants to take Sammy behind the bushes and make her scream. As soon as that happened, the sex button was there. When I clicked it, Sammy started saying "so guys, we have done some naughty things together," even though the naughtiest thing that had happened in the entire game for that playthrough was maybe a soccer guy groping her once during a game. But as soon as that button appears, the player can initiate full penetrative sex any time they feel like it. That's not a good corruption game.)
  10. 3.00 star(s)

obromacare

This is weird, because I really like this game. If a few numbers got tweaked here and there, it would be a 6/5, but there are a few things that just bog down the experience for me to around a 3.5/5

Pros:
    - INSANE customization. Skin color, nipple size, eye color, body shape, clothing, clothing colors, clothing transparency, passive effects gained, etc. You can mold your character how you want to a stunning degree.
    - Multiple ways to "finish a mission". You can be buff, smart, charming, witty, or even slutty to achieve your goals. How you want to finish a mission is all up to you. Some ways are much more difficult than others, but that makes it all the more worth it.
    - Multiple "statuses". Energy, mood, health, attractiveness, horniness, etc. It's honestly pretty fun to balance everything.
    - Corruption is great! You start off fairly innocent, but the more depraved actions you take, the more your dialogue and actions change.
    -No time restraints, so you're free to play at your own pace. If you wanna do crunches for 2 months straight to get abs, you can.

Cons:
    -Its WAYYYYYYYYYYYY too easy to become slutty, and once you do, there's no turning back. My character got raped after blacking out drunk, and after getting raped, she was completely fine with sex. She went from "Showing my stomach feels scandalous" to "I will go to that group of men in the bus because I am horny and want to be gangbanged" overnight.
    -The grind sucks. Getting money sucks, exercising sucks, raising your mood sucks, spamming "explore" to look for new clothes sucks, etc. There is an ingame "cheat" menu, but that flat out feels unearned. However, when working a shift at the bar gives 5 bucks (AFTER being molested) and weekly rent is 400 bucks? It's nearly mandatory to cheat.
    - Its a bit unclear what you need to do to raise certain stats. It took me a few hours to understand that you could study in the library to raise your IQ, because the game doesn't outright tell you what's to be expected in certain locations. You can this a skill issue on my part I guess, but I still don't understand how to obtain willpower.
    -Some places open at certain times. That isn't a problem. The problem is that waiting for those places to open sucks, since the "wait" option makes your character take a random action in the area. For example, if you choose to "wait" for the hospital to open (which is where the main questline is), you might end up accidentally walking into the bar and buying a drink...which costs about 4 bucks...and if you plan on playing this game with no cheats, thats an entire workshift of pay you've wasted because you were waiting. Furthermore, that drink makes you drunk, so you might end up having to wait even more to "sober up" before you can enter the hospital.
    -Because there's so much freedom with time, you might end up sleeping/waking up at random times of the day. So you'll be awake at 2 am, not sure of what to do, and then you'll just do crunches for 4 hours to get tired again, take a shower, sleep, and by the time you wake up you missed school.

Overall, many problems are tied to numbers. Tweak the numbers, and the game is excellent. Hell, even with these issues, the game is still excellent...which is why I would love to see these issues fixed, to turn this excellent game into an untouchable game.
  11. 2.00 star(s)

LittleSisterLover

This is on version 0.3.1.60.

So let's be honest, some of the biggest issues with games as a whole are the limitations of player choice. This is even moreso true with adult games, the vast majority of which are garbage shoveled out with little thought.

From that perspective, "The Fixer"'s stance on player customizability and dedication to tracking events is alluring. To be honest, it does a pretty good job on that first part - offering the most options for the visuals of a player character I've ever seen in a Ren'Py title - and the attempts at maintaining these customizations throughout the game and acknowledging them during scenes are outstanding.

Something you need to understand before you play this game is the setting, because the description on the title page is very, very misleading. This is actually a mid-apocalypse game, where humanity and modern technology has been greatly disturbed by...a bacterial disease...which...took out the internet...ok the premise is shit and I honestly feel it's just the usual "oh no the birth rate gotta get people pregnant" gimmick you'll see all the time...and never mind the advanced technology on display, that's all an illusion...but don't worry, even with the "collapse of society", as the game likes to put it, the bus system still exists? In fact, were it not for the setting being shoved down my throat, nothing would seem different at all...with the potential exception of every female character constantly wanting to be molested and gangbanged for some reason...that one is weird but has nothing to do with the setting they're just that way.

This is not a game where your character is a "Fixer", this is yet another game where your character is meant to become a whore. The vast, vast, VAST majority of the content revolves around getting assaulted/raped or using your body to solve minor problems, typically in the form of prostitution. You are quite literally not given any other option you'd expect of a "Fixer" character, especially considering that your character is completely untrained and unexperienced in such a role, despite the front page really giving an impression of capability.

Beyond this, the story is largely non-existant. You aren't given many detailed objectives of things to "fix", the "story" is basically "look into this and don't forget to get raped on the way out".

And this is sort of where I'm left confused. Why put so much effort into the character visual customization...when there are no options for character definition? You're left with a detailed character that you put time and effort into building visually, but with no ability to guide her.

The gameplay systems are...oh no...oh no no no...so you know how a lot of people dislike sandbox games because of the grindy stat elements they like to include? Think of that, but this time your stats regress after you grind them, so you have to grind them again. I'm completely lost on why this is a thing the developer decided to do, but it is awful, and I'm generally pretty cool with sandbox games.

And this all brings me back to my initial point: "It does a pretty good job on that first part". The second part however, "dedication to tracking events", is problematic for a huge point of contention with the game: bugs. "The Fixer" is a pretty buggy game, your character will often have slight (or major) appearance changes somewhat randomly (for instance, suddenly looking pregnant or having scars) when something happens, perhaps the text for an event is displayed incorrectly for what transpired, or a value isn't actually being tracked. And look, these things happen, especially with "The Fixer"'s attempt at variation and tracking that variation, there are a lot of flags to check...but to be honest, I think the single greatest symptom here is "overengineering". Looking at it, the code is generally a lot more complicated than I would have expected for what it is and I feel that's where a lot of the bugs stem from.

"The Fixer" is interesting, I like a lot of what it does...but the lack of alternative solutions and substantial player choice, along with an insane and repeating grind, really make it pretty unbearable to play.
  12. 5.00 star(s)

Threnosian

One of, if not the, best Renpy games I've played and it's created by a solo developer. The game is a well done sandbox with a lot of thought and effort put into the characters and world. Developer continually works to improve the game as well. Dev pushes the limits of what a Renpy game can be with their sandbox, and game mechanics. While the game isn't perfect yet, and still needs polish of course, it is one of the most fun and engaging porn games I've ever played. 10/10 would recommend even while unfinished. I'm excited to keep following this dev and see what they do next.
  13. 2.00 star(s)

D4n0w4r

On the surface, The Fixer seems to be the perfect example of a competently-run Patreon project. The core foundation of the game is solid enough, and updates have been flowing in at a steady rate for years. Character customization is its main selling point, and this is also reflected in how well the game keeps track of your character details in cutscenes. However, this all doesn’t amount to much in the end. The art is horribly bland, owing much to the fact that it’s just traced-over Koikatsu models, with backgrounds being a blurry afterthought. There are no sound effects or music, and trying to play this game normally will result in having to deal with a mind-numbing grind that is further hurt by the fact that stats realistically decrease over time.

Use the debug mode if you want to bust a nut in a timely manner. Otherwise, don’t bother.
  14. 5.00 star(s)

anonymouselyne

The amount of freedom granted in this game is top tier. It quickly opens up to a very free experience, not forcing you to go to many particular places. It also has an engaging story, which quickly branches off into some smaller side quests. Unfortunately the main story isn't yet deeply developed, but what is there I very much enjoyed.

The clothing system also works well, with a lot of variety. I also find the stats well balanced, in that it takes time to improve them and you don't instantly lose them for ignoring them for a few days, even though they do slowly decay.

I also like some of the more novel things in the game, like the diary where the MC writes about various things as they experience them in the game.

The game still has a ways to go before being anything near completion, but with weekly patreon updates the developer has impressed with good progress and consistency.
  15. 5.00 star(s)

Batface

one of the two renpy/visual novel game that i really enjoyed the other being uni, it is kinda grindy but there's built in cheat which really appreciated
    the story/writing is good, interaction between characters is good.
    the only nitpick that i can think is i dont like my mc using swear words many times, i like my mc to be like a little shy, that's just personal preference tho.
  16. 5.00 star(s)

Sam_Hollywood

Extremely nice sandbox.
    Some quests thrown in to spice thing up, but you can do whatever.

Extensive dress selection and character customization, even during gameplay.

You can play as submissive or strong willed but there's always someone trying to feel you up (or worse). Feels realistic enough, unlike most japanese games with wet cardboard heroines, but not so realistic to turn you off.
  17. 5.00 star(s)

somepersonaccount

Great game, lots of variety in character art and decently entertaining gameplay loop. Lots of different niches and the art style is clean. Seems like dev is pretty consistent with development. The amount of modifications to the character is one of the best features.
  18. 2.00 star(s)

Donjoe81

The Fixer v3.00.01

Pros:
    Nice Artwork
    Create your Character/Character Customization
    Cheat Menu

Cons:
    There is not much content.
    There is not much you can do in the game except work at a bar, go to school, beach, dress up, train, searching for trash that you can sell, getting raped, be a whore to make money.
    World feels small and empty
    You can only travel by Bus which often times forces you in to being harassed which feels repetitive.
    Character Stats drop way too fast which forces you to use cheats.
    Game feels grindy and unrewarding.
    No Sounds
    “Sex Scenes” feel dull and are basically the same image with no Animations.
    Scenes feel repetitive/No Animations, just static images.
    There is not a real corruption system. If she is a whore she can suck and fuck dicks left and right, but then automatically denies being touched in school or at the Bus because she has willpower which doesn´t make sense and I hate it.
    The story is original but doesn´t feel really interesting due to the lack of content.
    Dialogues of other Characters lead you to paths you can´t do. Not sure if it´s because I used cheats, but if you are in school for example and listen to conversations of other students talking about the beach or the Boy's Dressing Room there is nothing you can do really.

I think this game has the tools to be a success and be a great game, but there is still so much that is missing and stuff that needs to be reworked.
    It feels like a demo that was stretched to the length of a full game which forces you to use the cheat menu to skip the tedious stat grinding.
    The game feels empty, but grindy and doesn´t offer much variety and lacks creativity and that´s why I can only give it 2 stars.
    I will follow the game's progress and update the rating if needed.
  19. 5.00 star(s)

Zommyt

I love the way game agrees you to playing the role you want, whether it virgin or whore, childfree or a broodmother, only dom or sub elements may be missing

Really appreciate that game allows to do such things as going commando, do exhibitionism, walk around in sperm at open bodyparts, just play as "Hope in public" but looking, and all the way you want. That's a dream to see progress in it, to be more interesting!

That game reminds me "Raven's quest", but I hope this one will be in a head above (and it seems to be like that!)

Unfortunately can't do support. Just as I can, I wish endless success to this project ❤
  20. 2.00 star(s)

madchef

As this game's current rating is way too enthusiastic, I will add my poor rating to add some badly needed balance.

The game has been in development for two years now and it's really dissapointing to see so little content waiting for the player behind endless hours of mind-dumbing clicking between locations and activities in order to grind the ever degrading stats. Sometimes I wonder if this is some sort of a sadistic psychological experiment to see how many hours one is willing to sink in the vain hope of seeing some action, anything... Even with delibate use of in-built cheating engine, you must suffer through scores and scores or repeat events, additionally prolonged by identical dozens of dialog lines and GCs in order to get somewhere... which turns out to be nothingburgerwhere. The biggest offender is the bar work shift, where you get to see arms and legs and torsos having a pointless banter. We all know that bar work is just a front for whoring and not much else, but we have to grin and bear through that anyway, even if it's the 100th shift and your MC is a well-known prostitute, with her title written on her forhead in permanent marker, just in case. Whoever thought that repeating the same long-winded scenes ad nauseam is even remotely sexually arousing or otherwise exciting?

Thus, if you get through all that ordeal of exploring all content there is, you're left with one silly story (which the author doesn't know where to go with, judging from the newest revamping which removed stuff present earlier) of a secret agent of sorts, uploaded into a body of an adoscelent schoolgirl living in some dystopian realm where there's not much to do after school, besides collecting recyclables and seashells, jogging in the park, drinking beer, watching TV, working in a bar pretending this will not turn into prostitution eventually and embarking on secret missions which constist of pointing and clicking for the mentally handicapped. Oh yeah, and getting randomly raped while using public transportation and having to live with the consequences (which some pervs out here fondly refer to as 'preggo fetish'). So that the player doesn't miss out on bus molestation and non-con content, using public transport is now the only way to explore the area. Your secret agent heroine apparently hasn't discovered the art of walking to places, even though her PE lessons include soccer and dancing, activities which surely require deliberate and coordinated use of lower limbs.

Even the paperdoll dressup play - which is the core plaything mechanism in this game - is paper thin. Wardrobes seen in other games are much more impressive. Not that I am into spending hours selecting the most lewd attire for my doll to jerk off to, but there isn't much else to jerk off to. The actual several sex scenes are graphically underwhelming, repetitive and filled with unimagintative walls of the usual smut, with emphasis put on getting or not getting pregnant. Geeez, real sex life would be so miserable if every time you wanted to fuck, possiblity of fertilizing an egg was put in front of you...