VN Ren'Py Onhold The Foreign Teacher [Development Thread]

DanLong

Mar 23, 2018
See, you already have people here who want to help :)

I am working on something with an Italian creator right now and he needs me to program stuff. I think it will help me to develop my Ren'py skills. I might have to do some graphics as well it seems.

It helps me to stay focused since I have a hard time motivating myself.

What age are you? I am 50, am getting out of a job that I have had for about 10 years and am looking for something to pay the bills that I actually like doing! I can not photograph worth Sheit so ... I am working on my game creating skills. If I can help others along the way ... kewl!

oh I like the "Val" with the short hair, the first one. In your renders, she has a little blond landing strip. It is like a target! I love slutty girls, especially if they are into me! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

The Rogue Trader

Sep 12, 2021
See, you already have people here who want to help :)

I am working on something with an Italian creator right now and he needs me to program stuff. I think it will help me to develop my Ren'py skills. I might have to do some graphics as well it seems.

It helps me to stay focused since I have a hard time motivating myself.

What age are you? I am 50, am getting out of a job that I have had for about 10 years and am looking for something to pay the bills that I actually like doing! I can not photograph worth Sheit so ... I am working on my game creating skills. If I can help others along the way ... kewl!

oh I like the "Val" with the short hair, the first one. In your renders, she has a little blond landing strip. It is like a target! I love slutty girls, especially if they are into me! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
Yeah, slutty girls seem to be underappreciated by the newer generations (I'm almost the same age as you). Their loss :D
Luckily in St. Louise, there is no shortage of them. Will it turn out to be a plot point? No, I'm not going to give out spoilers ;)
window_icon.png You were supposed to do something about it, heaten...
Anyway of the five love interests three have already that reputation and the other two... who knows, maybe they'll surprise you.

So, you liked better the old version of Val using Victoria 4 as the model. I guess my lack of skill with Genesis 8 is ruining my girls.
I changed her hair because the old one doesn't hold well in closeups. It is, after all an ancient asset for Poser that's not even supposed to work with Daz Studio. You can see my tests to find a suitable replacement here:

But you aren't the first one telling me that the original haircut looks better, so I'm giving it back to her and I worked another little bit on her face, softening her features (heck... from where that sharp long nose is coming and why doesn't it go away?)
The new skin texture has a landing strip too, but it's not as blonde as it used to be.
The worst part, strangely, is the clothes. Idk why I find it so difficult to get decent results with clothes for G8: maybe content creators are relying too much on Dforce, which my computer doesn't even want to hear mentioned (almost every time I get an error when I try to simulate). But even non-Dforce-ready clothes fit horribly.
Trying two outfits:
ValG8_A_01.png ValG8_B_01.png

I'll keep an eye out for that project you're working on: as you surely will have noticed, I'm of the Italian flavour of Euro, too.

DanLong

Mar 23, 2018
hmmm ... Your new Val has much sharper features. I made sure to buy supped up Gaming Laptop from XMG to do my rendering, but DAZ still tends to crash. I got almost the latest Video cards from Nvidia as well as like the 64 GB of ram and the SSD drives. I have already saved over 1 Tb of data :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I LOVE Italy! It just feels right to me when I am there. Everything is made of rock and wine flows like water. The people are always talkative and friendly. I also love the food! In Amorato di Italia!!! :cool:

Tomboll

Mar 14, 2021
My aim is replayabilty since several events will be shared between the five incompatible main routes, so every time I look at a dialogue I yell "MORE BRANCHES! I NEED MORE BRANCHES!!"
his project.
Personally I never considered branching as "replayability". A lot of devs claim replayability when the large majority of the 2nd playthrough consists of SKIP SKIP SKIP. Replayability is when you can pick up a game and enjoy the game as a whole again. For instance when I cleared Witcher 1 and 2 for the 3rd time.

Personally I really dislike branches that lock out love interests. The worst thing is when you get a shitty ending and have to try and figure out where you went wrong so you can reload without having to replay the whole game.

And then there are the players who do not want to make a different choice for a branch. Maybe it was a moral choice or a choice for an unattractive love interest. Either way that makes that branch invalid as replayable content for that player.

I would prefer less time put into branches and more time put into ripple effects with fewer branches. Ripple effects are when choices you make noticeably affect events and characters. Good ripple effects make the world seem more alive.

That said, I love having choices. It gives the game flavour and it also gives the story a sense of being personalized.

Last edited:

The Rogue Trader

Sep 12, 2021
Give the random events a "window" (time, reference to some variable/stat/whatever...) during which they can occur, and when the window is getting closer to ending, just increase the chance of them triggering. A proper amount of RNG is good and makes the story to feel less static.(y)(y)
I did some experiments and the engine framework I'm using allows variables for random event chance (the hard part was figuring where and how to declare them). I'm going with your suggestion, instead of the chance increasing every time the player tries to trigger the event and fails, because it's less exploitable and easier to control.

The Rogue Trader

Sep 12, 2021
hmmm ... Your new Val has much sharper features. I made sure to buy supped up Gaming Laptop from XMG to do my rendering, but DAZ still tends to crash. I got almost the latest Video cards from Nvidia as well as like the 64 GB of ram and the SSD drives. I have already saved over 1 Tb of data :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
Yes, she has much sharper features and I've no idea of where they came out: I tried to get the G8 character as close to her V4 counterpart as I could. In my experiments (post of 24 January) I thought I was successful, so I guess I'll go and blame the lights. To tell the truth, I kind of like her current features, they give me some predatory vibes and I don't want all my girls to look like clones of each other (except for Helen and Val, that's required).

My newest computer, bought this December, is a reconditioned i7 with 16GB RAM and a 2GB GT730 graphic card. A sprite takes just 3 minutes to render, but larger scenes go easily up to 2 hours and more, depending on the lighting and some factors I can't grasp (distance?). Yet, I barely remember any crashes.

You made over a TB of renders? :oops:
You mean that you make lots of animations, right?

The Rogue Trader

Sep 12, 2021
Personally I never considered branching as "replayability". A lot of devs claim replayability when the large majority of the 2nd playthrough consists of SKIP SKIP SKIP.
Well, my idea of branching is about giving the players something else to read instead of "skip skip skip". That's why I always need more of them: ideally every dialogue should always have three distinct routes to be explored, even more ideally, picking one or the other should give something making it worth (a stat point, a plot coupon an exclusive image, etc).

Replayability is when you can pick up a game and enjoy the game as a whole again. For instance when I cleared Witcher 1 and 2 for the 3rd time.
Personally I really dislike branches that lock out love interests. The worst thing is when you get a shitty ending and have to try and figure out where you went wrong so you can reload without having to replay the whole game.
I think we are thinking two different things when we speak of branching: what I'm trying to achieve in my games is giving the chance to personalize every gameplay, and I'm doing it by giving the players many dialogue options that will subtly (or not so subtly) influence the NPCs and then making the story feel more dynamic. My source of inspiration being the great cRPGs of old like Fallout 2 and Planescape Torment but of course in a more limited scope.
The branches like "if you leave the wallet on the walkway you'll end up with the redheaded tsundere while if you take it and pocket it you'll end up with the prim student president" were nice and all 20-30 years ago, but had the tendency of having the drawbacks you mentioned, namely a gameplay mostly consisting of an "oh, a choice: let's save here, go on, have a bad ending, reload, skip skip skip..." bruteforcing with a little of guesswork thrown in.

Also, I don't plan to put bad endings to routes (I would like to add a bad ending to this game, if the MC manages to botch his investigations and doesn't solve the mystery, but it will be pretty difficult to get) and to make very clear that you are on a route or the other, with most LI-specific content happening in the game proper instead of just in the epilogue.

Unfortunately how I like to set up stories, playing a type rather than another will lock out love interests, just as it would happen in real life. A girl likes bold, daring swashbuckling heroes like the one you're roleplaying just now... but she's the blonde innocent noble virgin princess, so boring, while you are aiming at the sultry dark lady that, unfortunately, would favour a gloomy, introspective, cynical Byronic hero that you have no wish to play.

This can be sorted out by having the lock being a soft one: it's not a single choice that blocks, due to some unforeseeable butterfly effect, a route and its ending, but the sum of many factors, both roleplay-wise and action-wise (the sultry dark lady will be swayed by a bold and daring swashbuckler if he has some gloominess and introspection going on and he manoeuvres her political enemies to fight each other leaving open her way to the lead of her House).

Also, if I do my job correctly (and I admit freely that I'm a long way from there just now), the players should be able to notice it ("No, Mr Mareli, I don't think I can trust a prankster like you") early enough to be able to amend their ways to get a "Well, Roberto, I see that I can rely on your discretion... But realize that what I'm going to say is not easy for me." hopefully even without the need to reloading.

Now, the difficult part is striking a bargain with the player: I give the possibility that their favoured love interest could require making choices that they might not want to do, but in exchange I must swear to be as clear as I can be about it, so they'll know beforehand what they're getting into.
For this game, I'm thinking of expanding the uncannily specific "personality test" to give clues about that kind of things, instead of just tracking relationship points ("It seems that you go well with someone you recently met, but your kindness of heart is going to be judged negatively.")

And then there are the players who do not want to make a different choice for a branch. Maybe it was a moral choice or a choice for an unattractive love interest. Either way that makes that branch invalid as replayable content for that player.
I remember a game that I liked a lot "The book of the bondmaidens" (or a name like that) where the girl that gave me the hots was the evil bitch and required moral choices that I couldn't bring myself to make. Despite me liking the game and wanting to try different routes, I've yet to replay it, so yes, I get what you're saying.

I would prefer less time put into branches and more time put into ripple effects with fewer branches. Ripple effects are when choices you make noticeably affect events and characters. Good ripple effects make the world seem more alive.
I think about what you're saying as "having little choices but not being lazy about it and making them count". Like the awesome "Imperium Bureaucracy Hero" game that emerged in the release forum a few weeks ago.

But I prefer a less "tactical" and more "strategic" approach: namely of piling up lots and lots of minor choices, to be taken without much planning but just according to what players will feel is more fun, until the story will end up noticing.

The way I'm trying to do it is by having stats marking how you're playing your MC. Now, Roberto is pretty fixed as MCs go, that's one of the reasons I chose to let him keep a fixed name despite players hating it, but you can steer him toward one direction or the other. Do would want him to be kind or brash? Turn his witticism up to eleven or have him be discreet? The other characters will react to this and give clues or help or hindrance that ideally will end up changing noticeably the story (or just open up their legs).

That said, I love having choices. It gives the game flavour and it also gives the story a sense of being personalized.
I remember having a similar discussion in the past: I was asked if what I was doing was aimed at replayability or personalization. I say replayability because I believe that having the chance of replaying the game with a different MC's personality would be good for inviting to new gameplays, but if players will like it only for personalization alone I won't complain and will think my long hours at the keyboard (and long sleepless nights trying to get ideas) will have been well spent :)

Reactions: Tomboll and Boogie

The Rogue Trader

Sep 12, 2021
Progress? Or is this... abandoned?
Unfortunately, I had to put the game on hold [EDIT: I added the tag months ago, IDK why it has been lost] for the foreseeable future: I was collaborating on a commercial game as the writer but all the rest of the team, game creator included, had to quit for various reasons.
As I inherited that project, its development took away all my free time (and a good chunk of my life), so I've no time left to put in The Foreign Teacher.
TBH I'm quite moved that you remembered my pet game. I keep promising myself that when the current project will start walking on its own legs I'll return to Helen, Steph, Martha, Gina and all my beloved characters, but I'm afraid that it'll be quite far away in the future.
On the plus side, I'm learning much and I'm sure that I'll be able to improve the game a lot (especially in the renders).

Roberto has been cast as a minor character there. He sends his regards! Rogue_Trader_Mug_Question.png

Last edited:
Reactions: hiya02 and Boogie