Ren'Py - The Harem of the Demon Lord [v0.2.0] [LordPatrick]

1. 3.00 star(s)

Gorrik

Sigh.. I misclicked a much longer review and don't feel like rewriting it all, so I am instead just going to say what I like and what needs improvement.

Models look great. Hard to find unique character design in Koikatsu games. The models carry initial impressions for this game hard - I want to it to succeed just so these models don't go to waste.

There is some music in the beginning but it suddenly disappears after a short bit. And I mean very short bit - this game is very short. Don't let file size fool you. But, audio in an intial release always gets points from me.

Writing is basic and juvenile at best. At times, it can get really cringey. Story setting is generic, but it has time to be expanded upon and become it's own thing. Way too much time skipping and inconsistencies. Your first conversation with your mother mentions a cult that has been showing up at your academy - but in the very beginning, MC says they are just starting at the academy. So either there is an unexplained timeskip, or we need to actually be shown that.

There is a diamond in the rough here. But it needs more than polishing - this whole intro needs rewriting. More shots, more actual introductions, etc. There is a basic framework that is fine. The models are great. But initial release gives me no reason to invest into these characters and the world. I want to, but the writing makes it hard.

Look at some of the more popular games on this site and learn from them. Don't copy them, but learn from them. Do some research on improving your writing. And good luck, I'll be watching this one.