The Influence of Players on Content, Good or Bad?

Apr 16, 2023
Imagine you are at a concert and the musician stops to ask the crowd if they like a particular note better as F sharp or F flat.

Generally I think the developers creativity and their vision has to come first. Thats what its all about. But if like half the feedback you get is about something stupid in your game then that ought to be listened to.

Reactions: SoulsSurvivor

Goatface

Aug 10, 2017
Necroing a more than five years old thread, to say that...

It's not because this is what you are doing, and to be fair what half authors on the scene are doing, that it apply to everyone.

There's a really easy way to differentiate between the two. An author who know his story anticipate it.
Event always starts in the background, and can be seen there, or in the behavior of the characters who are already aware of them, way before they reach the MC, and therefore the player. Their characters also tend to have a stronger, and deeper, personality, and this personality match the scenes they'll be involved in.
Things will happen and, even when you haven't see them come, you'll not be totally surprised because suddenly everything make sense.

Hmm, really ?

The DeLuca Family, Where the Heart Is, Karlsson's Gambit, Bad Memories, Fetish Locator, to just name five that cross my mind right now, all bad and not loved games without a single doubt. And what about Love and Submission, still loved and missed so many years after shit hit Veqvil life, forcing him to abandon it.

The fact is that games have more chance to succeed when the author know precisely what story he is telling. By itself this improve the inherent qualities of the game, make the writing more coherent, and contribute to the interest players will have for the game. You started playing out of curiosity, you continue to play because you are, consciously or not, teased about what will be coming next.

Edit: Too obvious typo.
I've no idea why we've suddenly necro'd a 5 year old topic, but here we are.

I agree with you. I'd like to further by asking to whom the credit should go when the players are telling the story?

obibobi

May 10, 2017
If someone's making "Guy Grows a horse dick and is compelled to breed family" or "Super Gay Rapists Prison Heaven" whether its there vision or not, don't pretend you care, all you care about is if you share their tastes and that's fine.

Devs vision only matters if they are doing it for free because they are the only person they need to answer too, if they are asking for money then it's manufacturer and seller and what matters is if the customers are entertained. If you're a good developer you will know the difference between what people want and what people say they want and use that to judge if anything should be changed.