Ren'Py - The Inn [Ch. 2 v1.01.02] [Lykanz]

1. 2.00 star(s)

Zippity

The following review is based off my personal experience with playing this Game/Visual Novel... I try to be as brutally honest and detailed as I can, and these are my own opinions and thoughts, from one or more play throughs... The version this review is based on is v0.02...

There is a lot of narrator non-sense during the first 5 game days that I was kind of glad was missing from day 6 and beyond... There are some other over the top things that I'll also go over...

The visuals of the characters and backdrops are done with Honey Select, so they have a sort of hentai inspired feel to them... Many of the initial visuals were very dark, and hard to really see, which I assume was the intention... The whole narrator with meme's (mostly of movie/tv stars faces, and I'm sure they are used without permission) for his head was WAY over the top and just felt unnecessary and dumb... I'm guessing they were an attempt at humor, but I didn't find them funny at all... The whole narrator shtick could have been left out entirely and the VN/Game would have been better for it...

The script is decent, with only the occasional spelling/grammar error... The whole southern draw of the young farm woman felt over the top and not befitting of the characters looks... It got a little better once they went to her house, but it still felt exaggerated... The plot revolves around a male protagonist who works as a bar tender, and meets an old man who gives him a key to an old house... After the protagonist gets fired from his job, he decides to go visit the old house...

There he meets a young woman who seems very friendly and trusting, so trusting that the protagonist begins to wonder... Once he enters the old house he discovers some money and a note from the old man, asking that he fix up the house and show his family (sort of as a redemption for his past decisions)... From there the protagonist decides to spend a night at the young woman's home, where things get a bit interesting...

There are a few moments when I began to wonder if something else was going on... Mostly because the protagonist notices some snacks had disappeared from the table... Along with him getting an earie feeling at times... Guess we'll need to wait and see if the story is going to go some bizarre direction or not, in future content...

Overall, I didn't like the whole narrator non-sense during the introduction, and some of the other characters I felt had over the top personalities as well... Such as the guy in the field who was super over the top rude to the protagonist for no good reason, and the weird towns folks talking non-sense... Or the sign leading into the town... I just don't get the feeling that the developers are taking their crafting of this VN/Game all that seriously... Sure, they are devoting a lot to the visuals, but the story and text doesn't feel right sometimes... It feels like a normal story one minute, and out of place the next... Guess we'll need to wait and see how the development goes... Beyond the non-sense, the story premise seemed interesting... Will I revisit this one? Maybe, have to wait and see...