Unreal Engine The Oaks Hostel - Developent Thread

caLTD

Game Developer
Feb 4, 2018
Hello,
Last year I try to release a alpha grade 3d Game with Unity 3D, The Oaks Unity 3d

After 1.5 years of hard work, I had hopes for success. However, I could not manage the Unity 3d game engine as I wanted.After harsh reviews, I spent over a month trying to get better graphics, and when I didn't get any results, I gave up the unity 3d engine and restart with Unreal 3d.

I've played with the UE4 engine for over a year and tried new ideas. After a while, I decided that I couldn't produce enough quality content for outdoor games and I decided to make a game that usually takes place indoors.

My aim create a game based on corruption mechanics. Still can't convince myself for 3d (gta like) player control. It still takes more time to get from point A to point b. I consider it unnecessary grinding for adult games. However, as a result of the suggestions I got from other experiments, there is a lot of demand for 3d motion. I will probably invent a hybrid system.

First_Test.png

1.png

2.png

4.png

I am currently designing the place where the game will take place. I managed to complete some game mechanics and dialogue system. I failed on the first try because of the graphics quality. That's why I'm currently working entirely on graphics quality and environment.

I'm working on the game in my spare time, so it will be time for it to become playable.

My Best regards...

huliolopez

Apr 22, 2019
I wonder how do you do characters. Are they imported from DAZ or you are using some other pipeline?

caLTD

Game Developer
Feb 4, 2018
Multiple paid plugins plus, custom scripting in daz and blender.

caLTD

Game Developer
Feb 4, 2018
Setting up Neighborhood is almost ready however I can't upload images. (possibly due to vpn)... :(

ddakkal

Jun 23, 2018
Nice to hear you are still working on the game.
GL, don't try to over scope, it's the worst for 3D free roam games because it's hard to develop and requires a lot of work which could lead to abandonment of the project.

caLTD

Game Developer
Feb 4, 2018
Nice to hear you are still working on the game.
GL, don't try to over scope, it's the worst for 3D free roam games because it's hard to develop and requires a lot of work which could lead to abandonment of the project.
Thanks,
I can work only weekends, so I drop the idea of the full roaming. Even my assets still compatible with 3d roam,3d roaming was another grind. In gta combining with excellent vehicle simulation with ai driven live environment no one feels the grind. However it creates very tall order for single indie game developer.

So ? My aim was very enhanced Renpy style in Unreal Engine, with solid ui to make player job easy and focus on story and animations.

Sc1.jpg

Sc2.jpg

Sc3.jpg Sc4.jpg

This map about 2.5x2.5 km. Full 3d roamable, On 1050TI 35 to 55 fps can reached on full hd resolution.

Those images show 2 of the 15 streets of the current map. I spend too much time to generate a modular system can create both outdoors and indoors. However I cannot get good framerates for low end pc's. So indoors had own levels which increases load time between switching levels but we can create much richer indoors.

Character creating workflow , dialogue management was done already and I believe both of them very satisfying. I had some options for the minigames, I want to use stairway to heaven model for interacting NPC's and I want to use minigames when increasing relation level with NPC's.

Current game size about 2.5 gig. after compressed. However this not included characters and clothes. I believe, release size was bout 4 gig compressed.

Only untouched topics are soft body physics and body fluids.

I had high hopes for releasing first beta end of this summer.

My Best Regards.

hamod

Jan 5, 2021
Thanks,
I can work only weekends, so I drop the idea of the full roaming. Even my assets still compatible with 3d roam,3d roaming was another grind. In gta combining with excellent vehicle simulation with ai driven live environment no one feels the grind. However it creates very tall order for single indie game developer.

So ? My aim was very enhanced Renpy style in Unreal Engine, with solid ui to make player job easy and focus on story and animations.

View attachment 1125799

View attachment 1125806

View attachment 1125807 View attachment 1125808

This map about 2.5x2.5 km. Full 3d roamable, On 1050TI 35 to 55 fps can reached on full hd resolution.

Those images show 2 of the 15 streets of the current map. I spend too much time to generate a modular system can create both outdoors and indoors. However I cannot get good framerates for low end pc's. So indoors had own levels which increases load time between switching levels but we can create much richer indoors.

Character creating workflow , dialogue management was done already and I believe both of them very satisfying. I had some options for the minigames, I want to use stairway to heaven model for interacting NPC's and I want to use minigames when increasing relation level with NPC's.

Current game size about 2.5 gig. after compressed. However this not included characters and clothes. I believe, release size was bout 4 gig compressed.

Only untouched topics are soft body physics and body fluids.

I had high hopes for releasing first beta end of this summer.

My Best Regards.
can i ask what is the name if this game in ur screenshots ?

caLTD

Game Developer
Feb 4, 2018
Oaks_Clothes.png Oaks_Clothes.png

Lots of clothes which can fit each char.

Oaks_Hostel_Outdoor.png Oaks_Hostel_Outdoor.png

Brand new environment.

Oaks_Downtown.png Oaks_Downtown.png

Hostel has lots of buildings near by...

Oaks_Heather_outdoor.png Oaks_Heather_outdoor.png

Oaks_Heater_outdoor_2.png Oaks_Heater_outdoor_2.png

After many refactoring, pandemic, unemployment etc... I finally manage to get somewhere.

Narration system almost ready. Currently working on Dynamic character systems. Females almost ready, Males will much shorter.