VN Ren'Py The Sin Within - [Dev Thread]

CigarRex

Truly, the Rex of all Cigars...
Game Developer
Sep 23, 2022
SS BANNER VER-1.png
Hello there!

I recently made a post introducing myself in the forum, alongside my game: The Sin Within!
I'll paste my original SubscribeStar post over here, so that you guys may have an early look at my project ;)

Header 1.png

THE SIN WITHIN is the story of a boy exploring his mundane world under a new light...

Join Nick Harada, the kind student from the suburbs, in his journey to uncover the true pleasures of Lust, being led by an unlikely fate with the supernatural!

Free the desires of ALL the women he knows, and the world will become a better place! (maybe?)

Header 2.png

In this Sandbox Visual Novel, you will be able to evolve your relationships with everyone, progressing the plot through character interactions and story events!
(instead of wasting time with shitty grindy mechanics that pad out the lack of content!!!)

Furthering your romance with the girls will advance the plot, as you uncover the secrets of the supernatural, your place in all of this, but most importantly...

Header 3.png
ALLCHARS_1.png
ALLCHARS_2.png
ALLCHARS_3.png
ALLCHARS_4.png

With over 30+ planned romanceable girls, you will have plenty of ways to satisfy your Lust.
Shred their morality to uncover their true selves...!

What could possibly go wrong?

DON'T TRUST HIM.png

Header 4.png

First of all...
THIS GAME WILL FOREVER BE FREE!!

However, you can tune in to the subscriber tier you see fit to get exclusive content, such as:
  • Early Access to new releases.
  • Sneak Peeks for coming versions & future ideas!
  • Vote in Polls to decide on what comes next!
  • Details and Lore about the world & its characters!
  • Exclusive, lewd content from the girls!

And eventually... (hopefully!)
  • Request custom-made images with your characters of choice!
  • Leave your mark in the game with custom messages, extra scenes and even characters, FOR ALL TO SEE!
(These ideas will need some polishing later...!)

!!! YOUR SUPPORT WILL GREATLY ASSIST ME ON BRINGING THIS GAME TO FRUITION !!!

Header 5.png

The flavor for all the content in this game is, primarily, that of CORRUPTION!
You will bring your partners to new places they never thought they would go, with tags such as:

- Incest
- Exhibitionism
- Threesomes (and more!)
- Lactation
- BDSM
- Drugs
- Monster Girls?
- & much more!!

And, yes...
there will be hand-holding...

Header 6.png

!!! YOU WON'T SEE NTR !!!

But also, let's refrain from gross shit like scat, gore, and the likes... Mm'kay?

Anything else that hasn't been mentioned can be negotiated...!

Header 7.png

Yeah, that's it. Let's see where this goes :)

This is a big passion project of mine, I hope I can make a living out of it!
Let's help each other out, huh?

The game's first release is almost ready!
It will be split in two updates, covering the (mostly linear) PROLOGUE to the story.

The whole prologue is clocking in at 4.000 5000+ images, 10.000+ lines of dialogue, as well as animations, sound effects AND a soundtrack!
(thank you, Kevin MacLeod...)

THANK YOU FOR READING ALL OF THIS!
---
The original post contains more screenshots of the actual game in action!

Feel free to ask anything in the replies.
Feedback is also greatly appreciated!

Here's a few exclusive ones for you guys...

Print 12.png
Print 13.png

Last edited:

voronkov

Aug 27, 2018
Мне интересно смотреть игры сделанные с помощью StudioNEOV2, выглядит хорошо. Пара вопросов, просто так.

1) Картинка хорошая, будет в игре анимация или видео?
2) В игре песочница главное делать чтобы было хоть немного понятно куда надо идти или что сделать для продолжения по сюжету. Просто в некоторых играх много бесполезного хождения из места в место без понятия что надо сделать. Это не вопрос, это просто мысль.
4) В игре песочница обычно не бывает разнообразного сюжета, только тот который надо найти или заработать и это вполне нормально. Будет так же или будет хоть небольшое разнообразие в зависимости от выбора?
5) Столько женских персонажей. Надеюсь им продумал хорошо личности, а то только по виду будут отличаться. Раз так много запланировано то неплохо бы сделать меню хоть с небольшим описанием в игре о них. Думаю это хорошая идея.

Пока всё. Оставлю пару ссылок на свои игры. Там пример описание персонажей. Если этого нет, то может как пример вдохновит добавить.

I'm interested in watching games made with StudioNEOV2, looks good. A couple of questions, just like that.

1) The picture is good, will there be animation or video in the game?
2) In the sandbox game, the main thing is to make it at least a little clear where to go or what to do to continue the story. It's just that some games have a lot of useless walking from place to place with no idea what to do. It's not a question, it's just a thought.
4) In a sandbox game, there is usually no varied plot, only one that needs to be found or earned, and this is quite normal. Will it be the same or will there be at least a slight variation depending on the choice?
5) So many female characters. I hope im thought out well personality, otherwise only in appearance will be different. Since there are so many planned, it would be nice to make a menu with at least a little description in the game about them. I think this is a good idea.

While everything. I'll leave a couple of links to my games. There is an example of character descriptions. If not, then maybe it will inspire you to add it as an example.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Reactions: CigarRex

CigarRex

Game Developer
Sep 23, 2022
I'm interested in watching games made with StudioNEOV2, looks good. A couple of questions, just like that.
Alright! Let's see here...

1) The picture is good, will there be animation or video in the game?
Yeah, there will be animations! Studio Neo makes it very easy to work with them, since there are plenty presets and tools ready to use.
Not to mention, I also took a shot in making a few custom ones, for the moment. They are simple as of now, and I hope I can get some more intricate stuff done in the future.

(I would post an example, but they are all in the .webm format. I don't think F95 embeds these properly...)

2) In the sandbox game, the main thing is to make it at least a little clear where to go or what to do to continue the story. It's just that some games have a lot of useless walking from place to place with no idea what to do. It's not a question, it's just a thought.
You're right.
My game will have certain questlines that contribute to the overarching plot, and others that are just "optional", inconsequential stuff.
I'm hoping that the systems I've prepared are simple enough to avoid the "useless walking from place to place", as you said!

- Meaningful interactions with girls will raise their "love meter" towards you, which will eventually lead to a "level up", and an advancement of their plots.

Print 11.png

But... How and when will I interact with them?

- I've coded some useful UI features to indicate to the player the locations of the characters at any given moment.

1678925516245.png

1678925538717.png
(These "Notes" will point out any events currently active in the world, alongside its descriptions and what characters it is meant to relate to. These specific ones are just placeholders, by the way!)

4) In a sandbox game, there is usually no varied plot, only one that needs to be found or earned, and this is quite normal. Will it be the same or will there be at least a slight variation depending on the choice?
Indeed. I was chatting about this on another gamedev post these past days, even!

The thing about choices in Sandbox stories is that they quickly snowball out of proportion.

Sometimes you'll need Character X in a Scene Y, outside their questline... What if there are multiple outcomes to that character's questline? Will they have to change their behavior in other scenes outside the controlled scope of their individual plot, according to the player's choices?

I would love to feature certain branching paths for a few characters, but I fear it may be too complicated for a single person to tackle, even with care.

However, I do fully intend to have the characters change significantly over the course of their stories, even if these events are linear on their own. There are many ways to handle this issue properly, and I do have some ideas on how to do it.

I hope that, in any circumstance, I am capable of bringing the story I envision to its fullest potential.
I have a very clear vision for most character arcs in this story, so it's a bit more comforting to know where things may end up in the future!

5) So many female characters. I hope im thought out well personality, otherwise only in appearance will be different. Since there are so many planned, it would be nice to make a menu with at least a little description in the game about them. I think this is a good idea.
:cool:

Print 14.png

Each (major) character has their own contact page, with a few tidbits about their stories and personalities! This also includes a little gallery to peek into other outfits they may wear.

Print 15.png

I do want to cover a wide variety of personalities within each girl, you can rest assured about that. I hope I can get their struggles through, clearly!

I've actually been following some tips from the brilliant Hirohiko Araki, the mangaka who made JoJo's Bizarre Adventures, on how to write characters.
His Manga in Theory and Practice book has a handy cheat-sheet for details to fill in about a character, and I'm trying to bring this level of care to my own story.

Print 16.png

(Not everything here may be canon! This is just meant to orientate me in crafting a character!)

Print 17.png
This is, still, just Megumi's card... :oops:

I do also plan on releasing exclusive content to my subscribers, such as details about a character's routine, past, preferences, opinions, etc...

Some other stuff may also be featured on an extras gallery, that may contain small pieces of content that don't really fit anywhere.
You'll get to unlock these gallery entries as you explore the game and its characters. Still figuring this part out, but its something I'm passionate about!

While everything. I'll leave a couple of links to my games. There is an example of character descriptions. If not, then maybe it will inspire you to add it as an example.
Thanks for the feedback! I had a lot of fun typing all of this out!
I hope you guys are as excited as I am for all of this.

Cheers, friend :coffee:

Last edited:
Reactions: Chakas

voronkov

Aug 27, 2018
Достаточно точный ответ.
Насчёт описания персонажей. Помимо того что видно я делаю отдельно для себя. То есть когда придумываешь текс и надо точно понять как будет действовать персонаж то смотрю в отдельное описание. Пример.
Для себя можно добавить описание интимной и личной жизни.

Имя...
остальное. интимная жизнь разнообразна, легко соглашается на интим с первой встречи.

или
Имя...
остальное. выглядит скромной и не делает первый шаг, но если проявить инициативу то она не откажет.
Это помогает при написании сюжета. Описание персонажа по той схеме что у вас хорошее. Но это может быть расширено в связи с этой игрой. У меня в одно из игр например написано. Она вполне скромная, но на словах или на деле может сделать что бы не согласилась сделать что бы другие не подумали что она хуже или лучше других. Вот такого описание не хватает к той карточки персонажа которую показал. То есть небольшого объяснения почему так или иначе кто то себя ведёт.

Pretty accurate answer.
About character descriptions. In addition to what you can see, I do separately for myself. That is, when you come up with a tex and you need to understand exactly how the character will act, then I look into a separate description. Example.
For yourself, you can add a description of intimate and personal life.

Name...
rest. intimate life is diverse, easily agrees to sex from the first meeting.

or
Name...
rest. looks modest and does not take the first step, but if you take the initiative, then she will not refuse.
It helps when writing the plot. Description of the character according to the scheme that you have is good. But it can be expanded in relation to this game. I have in one of the games for example written. She is quite modest, but in words or in deeds she can do whatever she agrees to do so that others do not think that she is worse or better than others. Here is a description that is missing for the character card that I showed. That is, a small explanation of why someone behaves one way or another.

image.translated.jpg

CigarRex

Game Developer
Sep 23, 2022
Pretty accurate answer.
About character descriptions. In addition to what you can see, I do separately for myself. That is, when you come up with a tex and you need to understand exactly how the character will act, then I look into a separate description. Example.
For yourself, you can add a description of intimate and personal life.

Name...
rest. intimate life is diverse, easily agrees to sex from the first meeting.

or
Name...
rest. looks modest and does not take the first step, but if you take the initiative, then she will not refuse.
It helps when writing the plot. Description of the character according to the scheme that you have is good. But it can be expanded in relation to this game. I have in one of the games for example written. She is quite modest, but in words or in deeds she can do whatever she agrees to do so that others do not think that she is worse or better than others. Here is a description that is missing for the character card that I showed. That is, a small explanation of why someone behaves one way or another.

View attachment 2470403
Yeah. That's pretty much what that blurred image continues on covering.
I keep notes (both written and mental) on how each character should behave overall, it really helps when you're writing the scenes and putting everything together.

I may expand upon these intimate details on the description sections too (maybe including whatever content tags these characters will be involved in?), but I'm comfortable in letting these aspects roll off to the player as the story progresses.

I'll try to keep an eye on public reception to these aspects, most importantly, so that I know what should I improve upon in the future.

voronkov

Aug 27, 2018
Теперь я понял чего именно не хватает в описании. Там просто написана биография и по описанию не понятно. Хорошая она или плохая, скромная или совсем нет. Вот чего не хватает.
Слишком сильно не надо писать про персонажей, но можно дать понять какие они. Пример.
Имя...
Описание. Она всегда любила гулять и знакомиться. Сама начинает общение с незнакомцами и легка в разговоре. Но обычно дальше простых бесед не заходит.

Имя...
Описание. Добрая и заботливая. Добра даже к тем с кем не знакома.

Имя...
Описание. Довольно грубая в общении. Может быть поэтому ни с кем до сих пор у неё не было отношений.

Это позволит слегка понять персонажа и не переборщить с информацией которую игрок должен будет узнать во время общения. Вроде всё что хотел сказать. Прикреплю картинку из своей игры где пример описание персонажей который делал я.

Now I understand what exactly is missing in the description. It's just written biography and the description is not clear. Good or bad, modest or not at all. Here's what's missing.
You don't have to write too much about the characters, but you can make it clear what they are. Example.
Name...
Description. She always loved to walk and meet people. She initiates conversations with strangers and is easy to talk to. But usually it does not go beyond simple conversations.

Name...
Description. Kind and caring. Kind even to those you don't know.

Name...
Description. Quite rude in communication. Maybe that's why she hasn't had a relationship with anyone so far.

This will allow you to slightly understand the character and not overdo it with the information that the player will have to learn during communication. Like everything I wanted to say. I will attach a picture from my game where an example is a description of the characters that I did.

аапк.jpg
аапкпр.jpg

Reactions: CigarRex

CigarRex

Game Developer
Sep 23, 2022
Теперь я понял чего именно не хватает в описании. Там просто написана биография и по описанию не понятно. Хорошая она или плохая, скромная или совсем нет. Вот чего не хватает.
Слишком сильно не надо писать про персонажей, но можно дать понять какие они. Пример.
Имя...
Описание. Она всегда любила гулять и знакомиться. Сама начинает общение с незнакомцами и легка в разговоре. Но обычно дальше простых бесед не заходит.

Имя...
Описание. Добрая и заботливая. Добра даже к тем с кем не знакома.

Имя...
Описание. Довольно грубая в общении. Может быть поэтому ни с кем до сих пор у неё не было отношений.

Это позволит слегка понять персонажа и не переборщить с информацией которую игрок должен будет узнать во время общения. Вроде всё что хотел сказать. Прикреплю картинку из своей игры где пример описание персонажей который делал я.

Now I understand what exactly is missing in the description. It's just written biography and the description is not clear. Good or bad, modest or not at all. Here's what's missing.
You don't have to write too much about the characters, but you can make it clear what they are. Example.
Name...
Description. She always loved to walk and meet people. She initiates conversations with strangers and is easy to talk to. But usually it does not go beyond simple conversations.

Name...
Description. Kind and caring. Kind even to those you don't know.

Name...
Description. Quite rude in communication. Maybe that's why she hasn't had a relationship with anyone so far.

This will allow you to slightly understand the character and not overdo it with the information that the player will have to learn during communication. Like everything I wanted to say. I will attach a picture from my game where an example is a description of the characters that I did.

View attachment 2470459
View attachment 2470460
I guess I'll look into sharing more information about the character's personalities as this project goes on.

Thanks for the feedback!

CigarRex

Game Developer
Sep 23, 2022
Alright! The entirety of the Prologue has been completed.

It is totalling at:
~ 4880 images (~85 of them being animations)
~
11k lines of dialogue

There are also around 100 songs and 160 SFX's (From legit sources! Shit's expensive!)
It may be overkill, but I feel it makes all the diference. :cool:

It's currently sitting at 1,76GB, too. All the image/video files are saved as .webp and .webm, as well as .ogg for audio.

Don't release games in uncompressed .png's, please! I'd be sitting at a 9,87 GB release if that were the case...!

Anyways. All of the girls I've shared here have had a part on this segment of the story, and of course, we will keep following their plotlines going forward in the next releases.

There are about 47 'scenes', including variations to outcomes you can choose within the prologue.

The 'important ones' can be re-watched through an in-game gallery.

Gallery Ingame.png

I've also finished the 'Contacts' app, a menu that lets you peek at a character's details, including different outfits and the Protagonist's notes on them!

Contacts Ingame.png

Chell Preview.png

Eventually... Once you unlock newer levels to a character's relationship, there will be a whole new set of outfits to check out.

That's it for now!

I will be sharing an early preview version with a few, trusted coomers i know, to receive feedback and try to spot a few problems (I'm sure there are many...)

It's starting to look real good!

Once I'm done actually checking for any issues left (specially some old code that stinks ass), I hope I can share The Sin Within with the world!
The reason for this extra step is to try and maintain the code in a good shape for save compatibility.
Since the 0.2 release will already end on a little sneak-peek of the Sandbox, I want to make sure everything is in the right place for the following updates.

Thanks for stopping by! Here's a little treat:

Anna Bikini.png

• Yay, new update!

CigarRex

Game Developer
Sep 23, 2022
I should be nearing the first release, by now!

I've spent these past few days reviewing the code, basically.
Since the game will be a Sandbox, I'm making sure that my systems are as solid as they can be.
No one wants a porn game to be delayed by coding issues! I'd rather spend time making horny scenes and plot, thank you very much...

So... I've basically stress-tested my code by implementing the first batch of "interaction events"!
Or, rather... Their "triggers", if you will. There won't be any "Open World" content available at launch, since the prologue is pretty big on its own for the release.

But... Since I've already spent months programming this whole thing, by the very bedrock of this game's code... Why not keep it as a little sneak peek, eh?

Here it is!

sandbox1.png

sandbox2.png

sandbox3.png

sandbox4.png

Let's get to the details!

The open world will be very simple in principle.
You have 7 days of the week! (bet you didn't know that one...)
Each day has 6 different times:
- Morning
- Noon
- Afternoon
- Evening
- Night
- Midnight

Pretty standard stuff, all things considered!

You'll have plenty of places to be at, during those times. The same goes for the characters!

I can now easily add characters to any combination of "LOCATION", "TIME OF DAY" and "WEEK DAY"!
(trust me, being able to do this easily is a game-changer...)

This will also show you, on the navigation tab below, wherever a character is, at any given moment.
(it hides when the mouse is away, if you're wondering!)

Now, of course. Not every combination will be filled for every character... But there will be plenty of variety!

routine_notes.png
(no reason to spoil all of these!!)

For most cases, we'll have 3 periods of the week, where the character's routines will (mostly) change!

We get the first batch in Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays
The second during Thursdays and Fridays
And, of course, Saturdays and Sundays spice up the mix as the third batch!

I think it's a comfortable way of organizing stuff... Having these week periods as sequential "chunks" makes it less confusing, whenever a character suddenly "isn't where you expected", and so on... At least, I think so!

So, we have...
7 days
6 times of day
30+ characters

And... Leveling them will upgrade all of these events?

This is only scratching the surface...! I hope it will be enough!

I'm hoping for an April release...!
My trusty beta-testers have checked the prologue, and they like it! Thank god!

Still gotta go organize my subscriber tiers. God damnit.

greed is here to soothe your pain!.png

I've rambled enough! Here's a little treat:

anna_and_natsu.png

And another! Thanks for the attention!

gina_and_janet.png

Last edited:

CigarRex

Game Developer
Sep 23, 2022
FUCK IT! The game will come out later today!!!

IT MAY BE APRIL FOOLS, BUT IT AIN'T NO JOKE! I even got the tag on my name to prove it!!

Thanks to whoever's reading this! Wish me luck!

I posted the deets on this release over here:

SEE YOU SOON!!