VN - Ren'Py - Completed - The Story Of A Good Girl [v1.0] [comrade_x]

1. 5.00 star(s)

Zeliboba3891

Yes, I can confirm that. This is the Russian reality through the eyes of an ordinary resident. Damn, in the game it's not even hyperbolization, this is reality. Supporters of the Putin regime are not recommended to play this. The truth will sting your eyes. Anyone who wants to know more about Russia, I advise you to play in this game.
  2. 2.00 star(s)

swiezak1988

It's very short game feeling like a series of memory flashes of a pretty terrible, dark life (in a Russia contrasted between poverty and oligarchy) where you (probably) have few choices to alter the life of main character.
    You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
  3. 1.00 star(s)

RogueKnightUK

Terrible. I mean, really terrible.

It's not the terrible translation - I was prepared for the Engrish to be strong. It is that the 'plot', if you can justify such drivel as such, has all the depth of a story my children could come up with at 6 years old.

Every cliche you would imagine is here with not one original thing added to justify any of it. The MC is a shallow stereotype of bright girl in poverty from drunken stepfather. The stepfather is the stereotype alcoholic. The bad boy is the stereotype bad boy spoiled rotten by his corrupt but powerful mother. So, in short, the story, all of its characters, and the style of telling it, all suck hugely.

What about the art? Well, actually someone has a good eye for rendering at times, but is obviously struggling to render on some terribly ill-equipped rig. The result is that most of the time the artwork has been produced by rendering the foreground characters completely separately to the background, and then merging the two images really, really badly. Dark translucent boxes abound where these images are overlaid with not a thought to the quality of the finished result. The final result comes from someone who apparently has never even heard of alpha transparency.

I really wanted to give this game a shot, but ultimately it comes down to this - I could have put up with the lousy images to enjoy a great, well written story with engaging characters. Or, I could have put up with the terrible writing to see great artwork and really sumptuous renders. But putting up with one horror just to get more of another equally horrendous experience? Nope.

To attempt to be constructive here, as I said, someone has a good eye generally for a scene, they just don't seem to have the technical equipment and know-how yet to deliver on it. Forums like F95 are filled with people who can write well enough that people might excuse the current image quality, or alternatively, are filled with enough people who render high quality fan-art that people might put up with the current level of writing.

I think the dev has some good ideas, and is simply lacking the equipment, the experience, and the ability to dedicate the necessary time to creating something an audience might go for. Either the dev needs to spend a LOT more time on quality control, fixing image issues like those dark translucencies on overlays that ought to be full transparency, or to spend the necessary hours writing better, rewriting and editing until the quality is up to scratch.
  4. T
    4.00 star(s)

Thialf

Review v.0.3.1

Despite the cliché name, it's actually a fairly original story:

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

The story is very Russian in all respects. The setting is Russian, the graphics are Russian, but also the story is. Basically it throws you curveballs which you have to avoid in order not to get molested / raped. There are some choices, but the right one is not always apparent. So far, there has been not a lot of positive events for the MC, so the total story is quite depressing. It also has a feeling of gritty realism, which makes you sympathise and feel connected with the MC.

Despite the naming similarity with Good Girl Gone Bad, it's nothing like that game in all respects. This game has much less branches and feels more like a kinetic novel rather than a game, although the choices that you can make are quite significant.

So, the verdict:
    Good:
    - Good, believable story
    - Sympathic MC
    - Clear localisation (not a random "American" suburb)

Bad:
    - I would love to have more choices
    - I hope the MC gets some kind of break at some point, she deserves it
    - Disabled roll-back (why??) means you have to save at each choice. UnRen breaks the game!

All in all, it's definitely a game that I'm going to follow!