Ren'Py - The Tyrant [v0.9.5] [Saddoggames]

1. 2.00 star(s)

madasahatter

VERSION: 0.9.1 (NTR Disabled)

While research appears to indicate that audiences prefer linear narratives, thus accounting for their common nature across all forms of media, The Tyrant seeks to buck this trend by employing a genuine sandbox element; the extent to which it accomplishes that feat is debatable.

Fundamentally, The Tyrant offers very little that is new or fresh in the genre, relegating gameplay to the typical grind of repeated scenes in order to arbitrarily increase a character's affection, love or corruption points. While certain scenes provide the ability to skip them once viewed, others must be played in their entirety every time... this includes assigning a name to a character in one particular event at the gym. It's impossible to stress how odd it is to name someone only to return the next day to do so again, although it can be amusing to impart them with a personality disorder by altering their name on each unique occasion.

Similar continuity-based errors are so commonplace as to scarcely merit attention, an understandable result of the game's sandbox nature and hopefully one that is addressed with the development of additional content, though several are particularly discordant. By way of example: after progressing with the mother such that she's comfortable providing the protagonist a handjob in their living room, the player may encounter her in a repeated scene at the gym where they aid her in stretching and inadvertently achieve an erection in the process. When her feet touch their swollen member, despite having done so earlier that morning in a far more intimate and voluntary manner, she now becomes instantly outraged.

The lack of content also manifests in the partially realized clothing system, which allows the player to choose how several of the female cast dress. A fine concept, even if it feels somewhat "gamey" given that the options are restricted based on corruption/love values; numerous scenes lack renders appropriate to the desired attire and, as such, the models appear either inappropriately dressed or nude with a red error message over their body.

Core mechanics, such as relationship values and gift-giving, are also prone to flaws that nullify the player's actions. Relationship values drop sporadically and without justification, the mother's typically decreasing by 10 each day regardless of how or even if the player interacts with her, whereas others register no change whatsoever. Furnishing any given woman with multiple gifts, at the single opportunity the player is afforded per day, will invalidate all but the first turning every other gift into wasted time and money.

The primary flaw that consistently derails the experience, however, is the script itself. The writing is awkwardly formatted and indisputably composed by someone for whom English is a second language, with strange idioms and elementary spelling mistakes.

"You'll call her mom, but it's need when others call her."
    "You go back upstairs to your room. Your brain full of fucks."
    "...when she try's to impress me again."
    "Thru this playing there are some people who don't like us."
    "That's nice, loud laughing was really amusing."
    "He'll loose her to me, hahaha."
    "Yes, but they gave him a chance and he took it, for the best of our family."
    "You're really need to know them."
    "So I hoped you would join our play as the son that would fit in with a father in this playing."
    "He could even take advantage of one of my sisters, even if I don't think he isn't into young girls."
    "I'll make some boiled dinner."
    "Yes, it's cheap to make and makes us sated."
    "Shit, I'm just like my father. Leeching her sexy boobs."
    "That's your opinion now, but over the time you'll follow your heart."
    "Yes. You're right. I choosed you."
    "Then I'll slinding it inside me, slowly and gentle."
    "Like when you give me more sperm, it would overpower the anti baby pill."
    "Perfekt to caress and grope."
    "Shhh... Sometimes each gentleman fail <giggle>"

The most consistently odd of these is the use of "hihihi" in lieu of "hehehe" as onomatopoeia for laughter.

On a more positive note, although the developer chose to include some extremely divisive material, such as NTR (which involves aspects of both infidelity and humiliation), they elected to allow players to disable its appearance. A wise choice and one other developers ought to emulate.

Graphically, the game compares favorably with many of its contemporaries despite being far removed from the cutting edge. A number of flaws are present, such as render-related artifacts and odd black scribbles on the mother's forehead, but overall the presentation is consistent and attractive. Very few animations exist, but each has a surprising degree of fluidity courtesy of a decent frame rate and some artistic finesse.

Even so, the sheer amount of content that seems half-heartedly developed, broken or simply missing begins to pile up as the minutes pass, creating a tower of mismatched blocks that threatens to crumble at the slightest breeze. The bumbling charm of the dialogue becomes lost in its inadvertent defects, reduced to so much incomprehensibility. The frequency of inferior graphical assets increases, including the most disturbing model of an infant imaginable that resembles a clay figurine carved by a blind man.

It was at that sight, having already been tempted to quit, that The Tyrant supplied a particularly apropos bit of dialogue which accurately encompassed my thoughts: "I'm out of here, you fucking me up!"

GRAPHICS ----------------------------------------------- 6 / 10
    + Renders are of consistent quality and decent composition.
    + POV shots are a nice touch and fairly unique in the genre.
    + Quality animations with fluid motion, though extremely limited in number.
    - Certain models are of distinctly low quality; several items appear to be two-dimensional images layered atop the render.
    - Background and general environment art is mediocre.

DIALOGUE ----------------------------------------------- 2 / 10
    - Grammatical, typographical and formatting errors in ludicrous abundance. English fluency is abysmal.
    - Dialogue is often choppy and, at times, borderline incomprehensible.
    - Overarching narrative is nonsensical and irrelevant to the core experience.

GAMEPLAY ---------------------------------------------- 4 / 10
    - Grind is unavoidable and necessary in order to progress with any relationship.
    - Event skipping is inconsistent, necessitating entire scenes be replayed. Dialogue in several is repeated unnecessarily.
    - Core relationship mechanics are poorly explained and prone to loss without discernible cause.
    - Gift-giving mechanics often fail to register a change.

INNOVATION ------------------------------------------- 5 / 10
    + Genuine sandbox aspect allows for an extreme degree of freedom.
    + Ability to disable certain fetish content (NTR) is a welcome addition and allows for a wider potential playerbase.
    + Character-specific attire based on relationship values is a pleasant, if contrived, addition that fosters variety.
    - Sandbox is poorly implemented and largely bereft of content. Placeholders abound.
    - Continuity errors are frequent, often interfere with progression and occasionally demand repeated player input.
    - Numerous missing texture and exception errors. Engine seems ill-suited to the task.

SCORE ============================ 17 / 40
    DEMANDS CONSIDERABLE DEVELOPMENT, UNWORTHY OF YOUR TIME
    The Tyrant's ambition is commendable yet does little to excuse the pitiable state of its development. Too substantial a portion of its purported content is unfinished, haphazardly composed or absent, to say nothing of the flaws that checker what has already been released. Further development may alter its fate but, for now, an impartial player cannot help but dwell on that oldest of dictums: sic semper tyrannis.

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITIQUE: Consult an editor, preferably one with at least a native-fluency of English, in order to amend the various errors throughout your script. Consider removing placeholder flags and locations until they are replete with content; better to avoid adding something that may never be filled (as with so many of these projects) than to risk incurring potential backlash. Plot your narrative, I would recommend draw.io for this purpose, such that you can anticipate any potential continuity errors; address those errors immediately as they otherwise derail the experience.
  2. 2.00 star(s)

lTTMl

A game that had a lot of potential... When you play you realize that the story is interesting, characters are interesting and that there is a lot of choice/interaction between Corruption or Romance. What more could you ask for?

So let's play, a big part of our gameplay is to go around on the map, always repeating the same scenes & dialogues, but after 6 hours of playing almost everything becomes tasteless...

I don't know what happened for 3-4 years of development, but The Tyrant is a disaster. The progress of the characters is very slow, the reward comes with mini changes and teasing that will have to be repeated over and over again, it is the same thing all the time.

How to explain a development so long to finally have a feeling as if it were half abandoned? I don't know.

I can't recommend The Tyrant, if you absolutely want to play it, do it with the SAZ mod. That's all I can do. 2/5
  3. 2.00 star(s)

macadam

Alright...

I wanted to give 3 stars, but it goes on 2.

It's beena long time sinze i played that game first time...feel like years.

And what's up today ?

Well, honestly much and not much in same time.

It's nice that the game have NTR and non NTR path, along with various way such as romance or Corruption.

But well, it end like many others, with places to visit over and over for no reasons others than searching for some content.
    The grind, its here, its not super hard, but its here and honestly turn boring after a moment, specially with fact that we aren't pay much for the job, while on other hans, things cost not alots but enougth to eat your money quickly.
    The devs even put an option to "snip" the already seen scenes, and for a reason, because many scene are repeated multiples times.... infinitly in fact .
    The content on itself is good and there is a good amount, but honestly it doesnt feel like a reward, more like a jackpot composed of 1 buck coming out of a lucky charm shit. It seriously feel like you got lucky, instead of a well deserved reward for the hard work.

expect a sex ( like "actual fucking", you know .. a dick in a pussy) under the shower with your mother/landlady/whateversheis ???
    Well, good luck, because the teasing is going to kill you before you finally get to it.
    Acctual corruption of the family member is like successfully allowing a cat to accept the fact that you are going to scratch his fur with your socket after you end a sport session. In other words, it aint gonna happen before the next 2 years of grinding.
    beside that, the sex scene is honestly not much, in addition to not feelrewarding, they feel too short and simple. At the point that you gonna pass them without even realise that its already finish.
    And funny enougth, eve if the family member is corrupted as fuck to the max, they will complain against you later on... Like the mother-whatever who constantly gonna cry because you corrupted her enougth to give you a handjob and suck your dick while she was drunk. -_-

soo yeah, in simple way. The game have good amount of content, but that's about it. The grind is forced long, the sex doesnt feel rewarding and are too short , and the story progression feel completly blank as you feel like nothing change in long term.

a star for the chars
    a star for the content and fact that you can go "NTR" or "non NTR"
    3 stars out due to sex not feeling good , grind forced badly and a story that feel ending in nowhere even after all the progress made.

PS : i dont remember sinze when the game is under development, but damn, that's long and doesnt feel much added to me honestly.
  4. 2.00 star(s)

taler

There's an interesting story hidden under an utter mess of repetitive bullshit and meaningless grind. The gameplay structure is complete garbage, literally worst I've seen yet in a VN.

The english is non-native and mistake-filled, but that's forgivable for me. What's not okay is the really poor continuity, the scattered and noncontiguous flow of the story and relationship progression. The main character is illogical and annoying, nothing he does make sense within the context of the story, the author doesn't try to justify any of his actions, just forces it based on gameplay. The plot is more unique than most.

Graphics are mediocre.
  5. 5.00 star(s)

kaizersoze27

I am giving this a 4.5-5.0. Love this game, it is buggy, but somehow, I keep coming back to it and I know why:

The renders are awesome, the story is well done and since I love NTR so much, I love the dark side of this game.

I uggest playing this with Mod created by SAZ, who provides some great enhancement to the game. The game on its own is plenty fun too.

Not sure if it was intentional, but I feel its amusing to see the MC looks like Jamaican...? mom looks White and dad looks like a Korean hunk. There are bugs too, but no worries, the game is fun and enjoyable and very much entertaining and arousing ;)
  6. 3.00 star(s)

lvlup

It has so much potential but falls slightly short. The renders are very good, the initial setup leads to many corruption/blackmail/forced scenes and the characters themselves are interesting.

Unfortunately, character progression is all over the place. They submit too quickly with no reluctance and buildup making the scenes feel empty and without impact on story development.

There game quickly turns in a loop and slight (however not overdone) grind. It is worth picking up but it could have been (still can?) much more.
  7. 3.00 star(s)

NierM

The Tyrant offers a lot of hot lewd scenes, especially going down the corruption route. Only a few scenes are animated as of now but the game is constantly updated. The game got a little janky when you force pregnancies but that can always be turned off. NTR can also be avoided.

Overall a good game with a lot of corrpution/forced scenes. Only issue is that the characters submit to you almost instantly, good for a fap, not for story.
  8. 2.00 star(s)

moowallcow

Tyrant has great renders, an interesting story, and it stands out against most other top Ren'Py games for it's uniqueness. Unfortunately, the faults outnumber the positives. Terrible writing and even worse dialogue are two of the biggest sins here; I don't think the creator is a native English speaker... Gameplay is meh. There's certainly worse out there. It's lots of repeat X, go here at w/e time to trigger w/e event, etc. Walkthrough or cheat mod is necessary. Development time on this game has been atrocious, and peaking at the code it's no wonder each update takes forever. The code is a mess, which would make adding new content a time-consuming pain.

So, neat vision, but the execution of that vision is pretty bad.
  9. 2.00 star(s)

guest1492

Decent renders. Horrible story, poor gameplay, grindy, bad dialogue, bad english.

Most events are not removed/changed after other story events should have affected them. I first played this two years ago and after playing again now I see there is a lot more content, but the same problems still persist.
  10. M
    3.00 star(s)

Mahat

The main character is certainly the biggest asshole you could find in any lewd game around. He's certainly the most manipulative and that doesn't care about anyone other than his penis. This makes things a bit weird at times, but the nsfw elements of the game make it worth playing. Still, I won't be playing future updates.
  11. 1.00 star(s)

K18

A waste of time grindy & repetitive open world game. The repeated "Be at 'X' place at 'X' time to trigger story event" and random guessing type of game.

The story events don't carry over into the open world/free-roaming part of the game, which is a big issue. Example, you can get rid of certain characters in the story, but those said characters will appear again in the free-roaming as if nothing happened and the other characters not reacting to the story events. Or when you have MC in a romantic relationship with the main girls like Nicole and Cassandra in the story events, but in the free-roaming there's no changes or callbacks to the story developments. With Cassandra, she will still be seen with her previous boyfriend as a couple like nothing happened in the free-roam part. Same with Nicole, Bruce is still hanging other even after you got rid off him and that Nicole bumped him.

On the story, where the MC either saves his family from the crime involvement and get rid of the annoying thugs, or MC corrupts them and part-take fully in the crimes, or does nothing and gets cuckolded. I focused on saving the family and getting rid of the thugs while romancing the girls. Over time the main story aspects seems lost, leaving storylines all over the parts and just quickly glanced over the part of getting rid the thugs. In 0.9.1 Davide the gang boss is easily gotten rid of and is just treated a petty criminal instead of the big threat at the beginning of the story.

Most of game development seems to focused on fixing bugs in free-roaming and/or focused on the netorare/cuckolding route and the corruption route of the game. Little to no progression in the love/romantic route. Which sometimes isn't clear which route you're on. No character development with the side female characters. Repetitive scenes from early parts of the game are still around.

This game's only saving grace is the decent renders of the female models. Those characters mainly being Nicole, then Cassandra and Irina, etc.

The game would've been better if just focused on the story and character development with a more linear plot. Story driven, without the free-roaming/open world aspect in the game as it adds nothing to the story.
  12. 4.00 star(s)

mahem

I have a love hate relionship with this game.

a verry good story but, the story gets weird and weirder as you progress.
    meaning.
    people that are dead are still around.
    people behave in some scenes the same as when the game started out
    so the further you get in this game the more the story lines start to mingle up

i think the dev is focusing to much on new scenes , while he lost all sight of the story.

i realy would reccomend he started to look back, and takes a look what a story line have for impact at earlier scenes.

i still think this could be a one of the best stories ,,,when it wouldnt be such a mess
  13. 4.00 star(s)

snowhazard

Goodjob Saddoggames to make this game because have much great scene out of the gate, awesome render, plenty of beauty womens , and moral degradation. Also I love variety super lewd situation to build the game around
  14. 3.00 star(s)

libertypics

It's average as a combination of it's art and gameplay. It has decent renders, it has some nice fetishes (like the pregnancy choices), but it is absolutely burdened by a game design that is open world grind and repetition. Even with the cheat enabled it's an example of a game that has complexity for complexities sake, it doesn't add to the game experience it just slows it down.
  15. 4.00 star(s)

johnneye8

overall good, problem with some bugs and typos, and at time story can be inconsistent. Good art, and unique story not found in most other games. Hoping the developer would finish it and add some more extreme scenes
  16. 2.00 star(s)

fgh6

For a game that's been in development for a few years I expected more from this below average mess, so many repeated scenes, story is below average and the corrupt/love system is flawed and too simple.
  17. 2.00 star(s)

Krugger

This game is quite confusing and you end up not understanding anything. The development is even more confusing, a strange and unusual family. We have an MC with no charisma, who lives in a house with some criminals (?), everyone there abuses Nicole and you will soon join them, so you will also try to "corrupt" your sisters, just as the other male NPCs will also do the same. I'm not complaining about NTR, but the story is very poorly designed and developed, you really don't know what the real objective of this game would be and what the end of this game would be. Overall, in my opinion this game is one of the most poorly designed games I've ever seen, although many will be angry and hate me for saying this but that's my opinion.
    I didn't even talk about the gameplay, which is a very confusing sandbox too.
  18. 5.00 star(s)

choontz

The game oozes charm and unique design. Go for it without any reservations, it's an experience you don't want to miss. Review is about 0.8.4 that I played without any mods.

Intense immersion is how I would describe this game. It's strutured as a free roam game/this-is-your-life, do what you want to, type of game all the way through, with "events" in your home that drag you into different stories. The grind is there if you want it, but is very light and pretty much optional. Jobs in town were basic placeholders at the time I played, but it didn't take much away from the immersion.

The way the renders are done is beautiful and special, even though there are technically other games that pull off higher visual qualitiy, it's the human charm and facial expressions of the renders in "The Tyrant" that grips you. It's like the difference between a plastic barbie doll and a hand made goofy toy you absolutely adore. A lot of love and care clearly went into this aspect of "The Tyrant".

The expressions on all the girls' faces can be hilarious or heartbreaking, depending on context and player actions. They also react to the things you do in consistent ways, and there's none of that "everybody insta-spreads their legs, because you're the player character" disease here.

An important, really well done aspect in this game is dressing up your girls. Not only do you get to buy them a variety of cool clothes, but you can (relations permitting) order them to wear what you like around the house, and they actually do. Seeing the same day-by-day scenes, it's surprisingly refreshing when they wear new clothes, and sometimes changes the interactions making them more naughty or less. You can tell months of work by the dev went into doing this part of the game just RIGHT. Great and highly appreciated attention to detail.

The writing is mature, interesting, and often very funny even though grammar and spelling sucks, you don't notice because there's a distinct "Italian" foreign movie flavour to the family and the social interactions in the game that actually goes well with the occasional text mistakes. So it feels like reading subtitles on an Italian slice of life movie, and you can easily pretend the translation isn't that great, but you're still loving the movie.

Adorable characters, and an extremely well done "hot mom" (I normally do not go for that fetish, but she won all my dick with her personality and emotional versatility). Highly recommend this game to everyone.
  19. 3.00 star(s)

faibolx

The idea and the female characters are amazing, but the time line on which the events happen is sometimes confuse resulting in a mess of save points in my case.

I played by myself without following any guide, and I really was confused to see I was able to complete achievements of three different paths and after completed there was a lot more to discover, which I did, don't even knowing how.

I trust this game is a goldmine and I'm confident about the future updates. Having fun!
  20. 3.00 star(s)

noctred

Game seems fairly buggy.

It's not uncommon for events to trigger out of sequence - definitely awkward when you've progressed a character past a certain point and then you trigger an event which takes place at an earlier stage of progression. The dialog makes no sense, the scene makes no sense, and it just generally breaks the feeling of continuity. Actually happens quite a lot.

Aside from that, I love the game. The character models are great (especially Nicole... damn), the fetishes are exactly what I was looking for, and the scenes are hot.

Fix all of the event bugs and it'll probably be a top game for me.