The word death shows up a lot in translation?

Notjasper

Feb 3, 2019
Trying to translate a rpgmaker 2000 game from japanese to english and the word death comes up a lot in weird places. The only thing that I can think of is that it marks the end of dialogue or a fail state. Can somebody with more experience in rpgmaker or japanese tell me why this happens?

Notjasper

Feb 3, 2019
I do not speak Japanese, but your guess makes sense to me. Do you know the game name and the Japanese characters corresponding to that word?

A quarter hour before his death, Sir de la Palisse was still quite alive.
Naked Goddess - Kids Of The Arcade Center is the game. I dont know much japanese but I know kuro and shiro means black and white and those are the only names the description has. Shi means death so maybe it is translating the shi in shiro as death

bobophilly

Mar 8, 2018
Never played the game and not that great at Japanese, but the source of your problem seems apparent right from the DL site page. It looks like some character in the game ends their sentences with desu written in katakana after a … like it's some kind of quirky character trait. The translator picks up on デス and sees it as the literal English loanword "death." The character is probably soft-spoken and reserved if I had to guess.

は、裸のまま人前に出るなんてそんなの無理…デス。 "Going out and being butt naked in front of people, there's no way I could do that...desu." Doesn't really make sense in English. Whenever you see a …デス in the extracted text, that's what's causing the problem.

Reactions: Notjasper

Notjasper

Feb 3, 2019
Never played the game and not that great at Japanese, but the source of your problem seems apparent right from the DL site page. It looks like some character in the game ends their sentences with desu written in katakana after a … like it's some kind of quirky character trait. The translator picks up on デス and sees it as the literal English loanword "death." The character is probably soft-spoken and reserved if I had to guess.

は、裸のまま人前に出るなんてそんなの無理…デス。 "Going out and being butt naked in front of people, there's no way I could do that...desu." Doesn't really make sense in English. Whenever you see a …デス in the extracted text, that's what's causing the problem.
thank you