This pc good for daz3d renders and animation?

Seath Black

Jun 17, 2020
Got daz3d, but it took literally 2 hours to render 1 pic, and even then, the picture wasnt even that good.
Looking into another pc but 1000 is my max. Looking for ideas, but all this pc talk about gpu cpu vram ram 1080ti is so so confusing.
Is this a good pc for decent render pics and animations as long as i aint trying to render a marvel movie? lol

Thanks.
and if not, feel free to talk to me like an idiot, because i am when it comes to pc talk. Thanks again

Synx

Jul 30, 2018
Some explanation then:

Vram is properly your most important part of your graphic cards. DAZ loads your whole scene into your VRAM and if you dont have enough Vram it cant use your GPU and start using your CPU for rendering which is miles and miles slower then GPU rendering. I think people advice atleast 6 GB, but more the better.

For the GPU you want as much cuda cores as possible. The more you got the faster you render.

CPU is the least important for a GPU renderer for DAZ. You still want a decent one, but compared to GPU's CPU's are fairly cheap.

As for your PC, I would always advice to not buy prebuilds. You are easily paying 100-150 for them putting it together. Especially if your budget isn't insanenly high you are better of building one. It's a bit scary for sure, but if you can follow a tutorial its not that challenging. Or you could ask a friend to maybe help you.

As for the PC you chose the GPU will be able to render DAZ but it wont be anything spectular. It has a decent amount of Vram, but the amount of CUDA cores it has is pretty low. If I were you I would wait for the 3000 series to release. A RTX 3070 costs 499 and has 4 times as much CUDA cores as the card in that PC and has more VRAM as well. I think the 3070 is releasing in oktober.

The other 500 would be spend something like this: 200 for your CPU, 100 for motherboard, 80-90 for RAM, 80 for a case, 80 for power, 60 for an HDD, 80ish for a SD. Its unfortunetly around 100 over your budget, but your PC would be miles better then the one you picked.

Salami Pasta

Apr 4, 2020
Also not to forget that if you run your desktop from the same GPU and have only 6G, its more like 5G/4G then; random windows things use VRAM too.
Currently in desktop, no 3D app open (browsers with some tabs), 1.1G VRAM used.
Screenshot_10.png

Last edited:

Seath Black

Jun 17, 2020
So from what i gather on some sites for rendering recommendations, these are the components for a 700 dollar price range. to build myself one. These seem like a good idea to use?
Synx

if i can upgrade some of them to keep it under 1000, let me know what i should upgrade. Thanks!!!

I'm Not Thea Lundgren!

AKA: TotesNotThea
Donor
Jun 21, 2017
So from what i gather on some sites for rendering recommendations, these are the components for a 700 dollar price range. to build myself one. These seem like a good idea to use?
Synx

if i can upgrade some of them to keep it under 1000, let me know what i should upgrade. Thanks!!!
If you are going to be using the system for rendering, you should spend the lion's share of your budget on the GPU, the more RAM it has, the more complex scenes you can create.

Seath Black

Jun 17, 2020
CGDirector.com Parts List:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 3.8GHz 6-Core Processor ($208.99)
CPU Cooler: AMD Wraith Spire Cooler (Included with CPU) (-)
Motherboard: MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX ATX AM4 ($158.93)
GPU: AMD Radeon RX 5600XT - XFX Thicc II Pro ($289.99)
Memory: 16GB (2 x 8GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 C16 ($66.99)
Storage PCIe-SSD: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVME M.2 Solid State Drive ($64.99)
Power Supply: Corsair CX Series CX450M 450W ATX 2.4 Power Supply ($76.00)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case ($99.99)
Total: $965.88

or this one any better?

Salami Pasta

Apr 4, 2020
In order of importance:
GPU: wait a month or so for nVidia 3000 series, get the best one you can (3070 I guess)
RAM: at least 16G
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600, if you can
Case: get something with a mesh design (fractal design meshify c, for example; get one extra fan if you go with c in particular though)

Don't get an AMD GPU, IRay does not work with AMD graphics.

Salami Pasta

Apr 4, 2020
the gpu is the graphics card right? told you i was an idiot lol
Yes, GPU is the graphics card. Daz Studio IRay renderer only works with nVidia graphics cards, otherwise it defaults to CPU rendering, which is quite a bit slower (unless you have a $30k dual Epyc /128 core/ workstation or something...)
GPU also has RAM inside it (VRAM). For Daz, the more VRAM, the bigger scene you can render using that GPU.

Edit: when choosing a power supply, make sure it has enough PCI-Express power connectors for your graphics card. Weaker power supplies may only come with one PCI-E power connector, which is not enough in most cases for $350+ graphics cards.

Useful tool to make sure your PSU is powerful enough for your system:

Last edited:

Seath Black

Jun 17, 2020
AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 6-Core, 12-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor with Wraith Spire Cooler
that cpu?
And whats a good gpu now that wont break the bank?
Build a pc says this one is good for about 250

And thanks again guys. Sorry got bothering you

I'm Not Thea Lundgren!

AKA: TotesNotThea
Donor
Jun 21, 2017
CGDirector.com Parts List:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 3.8GHz 6-Core Processor ($208.99)
CPU Cooler: AMD Wraith Spire Cooler (Included with CPU) (-)
Motherboard: MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX ATX AM4 ($158.93)
GPU: AMD Radeon RX 5600XT - XFX Thicc II Pro ($289.99)
Memory: 16GB (2 x 8GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 C16 ($66.99)
Storage PCIe-SSD: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVME M.2 Solid State Drive ($64.99)
Power Supply: Corsair CX Series CX450M 450W ATX 2.4 Power Supply ($76.00)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case ($99.99)
Total: $965.88

or this one any better?
the gpu is the graphics card right? told you i was an idiot lol
If you are rendering with Daz, an Nvidia Graphics card (GPU) would be much better.
You'll want a better power supply than the one you have chosen.

Here is the closest I could get to your budget. -

Ignore the graphics card I selected, it's only to show the price (this is the price of the new 3070)

Reactions: Synx

Salami Pasta

Apr 4, 2020
If you are rendering with Daz, an Nvidia Graphics card (GPU) would be much better.

Ignore the graphics card I selected, it's only to show the price (this is the price of the new 3070)
Throw in an extra case fan or two. Only one intake, no exhausts. Things will heat up, when leaving with render queue for example. Especially if GPU is not a blower-style (not sure what partners will do with the new cards).

seathblack don't hesitate to ask; there are no stupid questions, people are here to help.

Last edited:

Synx

Jul 30, 2018

This pretty much. the 3070 is so much power for its price, but unfortunetly it pushes your whole build just outside your budget. Compared to the 1660ti a 3070 has 4 times more cuda cores which makes your rendering so much faster. No idea how much but I wouldnt be surprised if the 3070 would render 10+ times faster then a 1660ti.

You are missing an hardrive though so that would add another 50-60 for a 2TB one (you really need a lot of space with DAZ).

Seath Black

Jun 17, 2020
I appreciate everything guys.
So im assuming i still have to spend another 110 on windows 10 OS.
This build is costing me more than just buying a premade.
Also, if i dont go with the 3070, what is a decend replacement? Ive seen beauitful renders and animation from by in 2018, so i know there has to be some decent gpu since then.
Thanks again everyone

Synx

Jul 30, 2018
Just buy a windows key. Think its like 10 bucks, thats what I did last year. Had 0 problems with it.

As for a replacement, there isn't. The 3070 qua power vs cost has such insane value that there isn't anything close to it.

Yeah you can get a 1660TI but if you are seriously about creating a game rendering will take up roughly 90%-95% of your time after the first couple months. If you can cut your render time down a 10+ timefold, especially if you are going for animations , for a couple hundred a more its a shame not going for it.

And I dont know if you are going to use it for gaming as well, but a 3070 will allow you to game on 1440p on ultra for properly the coming 5 years atleast. A 1660TI will start struggling for high/ultra on 1080p in a year or two if not earlier.

Salami Pasta

Apr 4, 2020
Try to keep the 3070 in the list; You'll thank us later.
(Alternatively, get a used 1070/2070, and later upgrade, if you REALLY can't now; don't go this route if you can help it)

As Synx said, for Windows, get a Pro key off Ebay (I paid like $4; just beware of scams, get one from a guy that has already sold a few hundred).

Salami Pasta

Apr 4, 2020
Also, if i dont go with the 3070, what is a decend replacement? Ive seen beauitful renders and animation from by in 2018, so i know there has to be some decent gpu since then.
Look, you can render beautiful images on CPU, if you're masochistic like me. But the time it takes, well, let's just say you may get prematurely bald from pulling your hair out waiting for your renders to finish.

What you really need is a good GPU with a decent amount of VRAM, so you don't feel limited by hardware too much while exploring this hobby. 3000 series is worth it (on paper, we don't have benchmarks yet, but the CUDA count is amazing for the price).

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
we don't have benchmarks yet
:eek:

After yesterdays announcement of the new GeForce 30X0 series, here a range of speedups one can expect, using iray 2020.1, over a variety of scenes, ranging from “objects in empty space” (still complex ones though: a highend Range Rover model and the furry Teddy from earlier posts, using the new fiber feature of iray) to giant architecture models (Soane and especially NVIDIAs new headquarter/Endeavor).

The upper chart compares against a P6000 with no RT Cores, the lower against the RTX 6000.

A RTX 3080 is 4x to almost 10x faster compared to the P6000! (average 6.5x!)

Compared to the RTX 6000, the RTX 3080 is 1.7x up to 2.6x faster! (average 2.1x!)

Note that these numbers do NOT include the use of the NVIDIA AI Denoiser, so there is an additional speedup on all RTX cards (especially all the Ampere based ones) when enabling it, as rendering can end so much earlier (as much less samples needed!) to get a similar result.
[ ]

01.png

02.png

Reactions: Salami Pasta

Salami Pasta

Apr 4, 2020
:eek:

After yesterdays announcement of the new GeForce 30X0 series, here a range of speedups one can expect, using iray 2020.1, over a variety of scenes, ranging from “objects in empty space” (still complex ones though: a highend Range Rover model and the furry Teddy from earlier posts, using the new fiber feature of iray) to giant architecture models (Soane and especially NVIDIAs new headquarter/Endeavor).

The upper chart compares against a P6000 with no RT Cores, the lower against the RTX 6000.

A RTX 3080 is 4x to almost 10x faster compared to the P6000! (average 6.5x!)

Compared to the RTX 6000, the RTX 3080 is 1.7x up to 2.6x faster! (average 2.1x!)

Note that these numbers do NOT include the use of the NVIDIA AI Denoiser, so there is an additional speedup on all RTX cards (especially all the Ampere based ones) when enabling it, as rendering can end so much earlier (as much less samples needed!) to get a similar result.
[ ]

View attachment 805964

View attachment 805966
seathblack will not get a 3080, but this is still some useful info. From a credible source too. Nice.

I guess 3070 gonna be somewhere above Quadro RTX 6000 then.