Thoughts on optional trap content?

Corvus G.

May 19, 2019
Title. What are you people's thoughts on optional trap femboy content? Optional as in you can choose whether one of the love interest is a male or a female at the start of the game, think that one girl from Summertime Saga or Shauna in that one game where you play as a basketball player

EDIT: People are arguing the defition of trap in the replies. I meant character that you know will have a penis or not. It's not supposed to be a suprise.

Last edited:

Chalker

Aug 8, 2018
24679e3b44205e730c5557186ff70392.png
I honestly prefer if a game goes either full send or nothing. To me, having the option to make one of the girls a boy takes away from both versions' actual character development. I feel like trap characters that are written as traps usually come off better.

Reactions: Meaning Less

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
[...] To me, having the option to make one of the girls a boy takes away from both versions' actual character development. I feel like trap characters that are written as traps usually come off better.
Well, it's like everything else, the issue don't come from the fact that it's optional, but from the fact that the author don't cared to put efforts in his writing. It need a bit more works, but it's perfectly possible to have a character that will act differently depending if the player choose it to have a dick or not.

Chalker

Aug 8, 2018
Well, it's like everything else, the issue don't come from the fact that it's optional, but from the fact that the author don't cared to put efforts in his writing. It need a bit more works, but it's perfectly possible to have a character that will act differently depending if the player choose it to have a dick or not.
Right, but at that point, if their chaptalization, personalities, and idiosyncrasies are different and are unique, that will effect how they act... So at that point, why not have two characters and just make the Trap an optional character?

Reactions: Meaning Less

Count Morado

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
Jan 21, 2022
Title. What are you people's thoughts on optional trap content? Optional as in you can choose whether one of the love interest is a male or a female at the start of the game, think that one girl from Summertime Saga or Shauna in that one game where you play as a basketball player
What you describe isn't "Trap", simply transgender.

Trap is a term that was initially created by people who thought transgender people were attempting to trick a straight person into having sexual or romantic feelings, hence the sexualized slur/insult of "Trap." If the love interest of your game is one which is intentionally hiding their assigned sex behind a different gender for the specific purpose to fool the MC and/or player - then that love interest is a character with a shitty personality and I hope the MC and/or player decide to move on to someone else.

If they are shy or reluctant to share that information with the MC and/or player because they are self-conscious or have worries about how the MC and/or player will take it, then that character is insecure and probably lacking support in their lives to be who they identify to be. It could be that the actions and behavior of the MC provides a positive relationship environment for them to overcome some of their unneasiness.
I think most people use trap and femboy interchangeably.
Not most; and those that are do so incorrectly.

Reactions: HarveyD

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
Right, but at that point, if their chaptalization, personalities, and idiosyncrasies are different and are unique, that will effect how they act... So at that point, why not have two characters and just make the Trap an optional character?
Because an optional character can't be part of the main story. Players would complain that they can't see the whole content because the author is a fucking gay idiot who want anyone to turn gay and fuck the trap.

Chalker

Aug 8, 2018
What you describe isn't "Trap", simply transgender.

Trap is a term that was initially created by people who thought transgender people were attempting to trick a straight person into having sexual or romantic feelings, hence the sexualized slur/insult of "Trap."
Was it thought? trap in anime culture was always used for male crossdressers, characters like Astolfo who identify and are biologically male but present as female are still called traps. This had nothing to do with transgender people.
Not most; and those that are do so incorrectly.
you got a source for that claim?

Chalker

Aug 8, 2018
Because an optional character can't be part of the main story. Players would complain that they can't see the whole content because the author is a fucking gay idiot who want anyone to turn gay and fuck the trap.
bunny.png
alright than just force the trap character and tell the people it's not gay because the socks stay on.

Hagatagar

Oct 11, 2019
@Chalksis Stella

What western/english anime fans usually call a trap, is in japanese a (男の娘 "male girl").
And trap is one of the many incorrectly "translated"/used terms which through its popularity have indirectly found their .

Here are some other terms.

EDIT: added another Link.

Last edited:
Reactions: Count Morado

Count Morado

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
Jan 21, 2022
Was it thought? trap in anime culture was always used for male crossdressers, characters like Astolfo who identify and are biologically male but present as female are still called traps. This had nothing to do with transgender people.

you got a source for that claim?
Last firstly, YOU are the one who claimed "most" and since you made that claim, you are the one who needs to provide a reliable source. Not I.

Second, yes, I am sure. And yes, it does appear to have its beginnings in American fans of anime. Because, well, Americans. While some may have eventually considered it a cute term of endearment - it wasn't meant that way from the start and is still considered, in general, as an insult and more. And is used that way, as well.

Chalker

Aug 8, 2018
Last firstly, YOU are the one who claimed "most" and since you made that claim, you are the one who needs to provide a reliable source. Not I.

Second, yes, I am sure. And yes, it does appear to have its beginnings in American fans of anime. Because, well, Americans. While some may have eventually considered it a cute term of endearment - it wasn't meant that way from the start and is still considered, in general, as an insult and more. And is used that way, as well.

I said I think. You said with 100% guarantee.

And even your "know your meme" source says it's used to refer to crossdressers. I don't care about the two other literal blog posts.

Count Morado

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
Jan 21, 2022
I said I think. You said with 100% guarantee.

And even your "know your meme" source says it's used to refer to crossdressers. I don't care about the two other literal blog posts.
So, "no matter what you present I'm going to believe what I believe" as expected. Even when one post is an official source from an internationally recognized nonprofit LGBTQIA+ advocate organization.

Chalker

Aug 8, 2018
So, "no matter what you present I'm going to believe what I believe" as expected.
trap.jpg
No, because two of the sources you provided are self-described blogs of people saying they're offended by something, even the comment you liked said that crossdressers "otokonoko" are called "trap" or the gay slang "femboy". something I literally said in my comment.
Even when one post is an official source from an internationally recognized nonprofit LGBTQIA+ advocate organization.
PETA is an internationally recognized nonprofit organization that says eating chicken is the same as manslaughter and rape, I don't really buy it tho.

Banality

Jun 16, 2021
i don't think it would work. even the option of gay sex turns most people off and they won't play the game. Make it or leave it... optional is imho a waste of time an resources

Count Morado

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
Jan 21, 2022
View attachment 2400047
No, because two of the sources you provided are self-described blogs of people saying they're offended by something, even the comment you liked said that crossdressers "otokonoko" are called "trap" or the gay slang "femboy". something I literally said in my comment.
Except that one of the sources is GLAAD, not a person or a personal blog, but one of the leading organization in the world against LGBTQ discrimination.

And the post I "liked" by Hagatar states "trap is one of the many incorrectly "translated"/used terms" and THAT is why I liked the post.

And the term is used as an insult by a good number of people and in real life transgender people have been assaulted, abused, and killed because some straight person with homophobia decided they were being trapped into feeling something for someone that they shouldn't.

I've said my peace - because no matter what is said, it won't change anyone's mind if they aren't in the position to consider.

Chalker

Aug 8, 2018
Except that one of the sources is GLAAD, not a person or a personal blog, but one of the leading organization in the world against LGBTQ discrimination.
And as I said, PETA compares and sees eating meat as the same thing as rape and manslaughter, NPOs don't define terms and meanings.