Thoughts on optional trap content?

Chalker

Aug 8, 2018
I'm not arguing that, just saying that some things should simply not be optional and traps are a good example of that.

Dumb way to ruin the surprise.
1649875402697.png
See, but that's where devs start dwelling in the realm of "bad/good surprises"
If someone enjoys femboys, it's a good surprise.
If someone doesn't, it's a character-ruining surprise.

Dangerous plain to tread as a developer.

Reactions: Jake the flake

Chalker

Aug 8, 2018
So? Then they can just not have sex with that character after being suprised, a much simpler and more sensible solution than the whole "gender swap" thing.
1575737015166.jpg
I mean, sure, but why keep it as a secret dev side? People who are looking for traps won't find the game, and people who aren't into them will probably have a bad experience at best, especially if they start to like that character.

I don't think most people go into games completely blind, and it would be better to advertise what you got, so you catch the intended demographic.

Corvus G.

May 19, 2019
So? Then they can just not have sex with that character after being suprised, a much simpler and more sensible solution than the whole "gender swap" thing.
That kinda defeats the purpose of having that character in the first place tbh. Like, building a character and spending time developing them onlyu for the player to simply ignore what you've spend dozens of hours creating because it's not their particular fetish. Idk, maybe It's just me, but if it's not something important I'd rather give players the choice than not to.

I feel like this thread has been derailed a bit by the use of the word trap (which is on me, soz). It's not supposed to be a surprise lol. I was asking more on the realm of thoughts on femboys rather than anything else.

Chalker

Aug 8, 2018
That kinda defeats the purpose of having that character in the first place tbh. Like, building a character and spending time developing them onlyu for the player to simply ignore what you've spend dozens of hours creating because it's not their particular fetish. Idk, maybe It's just me, but if it's not something important I'd rather give players the choice than not to.

I feel like this thread has been derailed a bit by the use of the word trap (which is on me, soz). It's not supposed to be a surprise lol. I was asking more on the realm of thoughts on femboys rather than anything else.
1610666839127.jpg
femboys should be femboys in my most humble opinion.

Meaning Less

Engaged Member
Sep 13, 2016
I mean, sure, but why keep it as a secret dev side? People who are looking for traps won't find the game, and people who aren't into them will probably have a bad experience at best, especially if they start to like that character.
Tags are more than enough to find games without entirely spoiling the story and knowing exactly what character is the trap.

And if you know exactly what character is the trap then noone is being surprised...
Idk, maybe It's just me, but if it's not something important I'd rather give players the choice than not to.
The difference is that making the sex scenes avoidable costs almost nothing to a dev, but changing the character gender can nearly double the ammount of work around that character, that's why you don't see this approach often.

HarveyD

Oct 15, 2017
When I see "optional trans" content, I assume I'm looking at a dev who wanted to make a character trans but was worried that the inclusion of the character would scare away people who dislike that kind of content. And so made that choice only to satisfy them.

Chalker

Aug 8, 2018
When I see "optional trans" content, I assume I'm looking at a dev who wanted to make a character trans but was worried that the inclusion of the character would scare away people who dislike that kind of content. And so made that choice only to satisfy them.
This topic isn't about trans content.

HarveyD

Oct 15, 2017
This topic isn't about trans content.
think that one girl from Summertime Saga or Shauna in that one game where you play as a basketball player
Both of these characters are Trans. Perhaps the OP made a mistake with the thread title. But regardless, 90% of "trap" characters from the games on here are trans. I'm not sure if I've played a game with a female-presenting character with a penis who identifies as male. Though I'm sure some exist.

Nov 29, 2022
I think having these things optional is pretty much always the better choice for a developer. People will always complain no matter what but many gamers will let stuff slide if it's optional but avoid the game completely if it isn't. Having these things optional not only means more people will play the game but also that more developers will add content that's already kind of niche.

Btw, just played 'but I'm the bad guy', pretty messed up game but hot asf and most of the more extreme stuff is optional. The boy/femboy is next level.

Also kind of random to argue about the word 'trap' when it's literally a category on this site and everyone knows what's meant by it.

DawnCry

Nov 25, 2017
The common sense tells me that the answer is basically: it depends.

Your game is about having three genders and being quite open with it? (typical male-futa-female) then even if you add a trap it shouldn't be seen in a negative light.

Your game is about a typical harem game with full females and you suddenly add a trap? then you will have a problem with some users, especially if they follow the trope of fear of gayness.

Personally I don't care about traps, futa or whatever, just give me a totally feminine appearance and it's cool with me.

• Yay, new update!
Reactions: Gabaw

Hal8999

Sep 14, 2017
If the writing is an important factor, then I would say it is better to have it not be optional, since you can focus on the character being whatever they are, otherwise you basically have to double your work and write two separate characters, or write your character in such a way where it didn't matter in the first place, but then you run the risk of having a little something extra you aren't able to write about.

Additionally, optional means you have to produce possibly double the art/animation assets, depending on how it's implemented.

Basically, it all boils down to how much work you want to put in as a dev/writer/artist.

Additionally, while having options are great, I think it's easier to market your game or whatever as "a trap game" vs "a game with trap option". Being a game with a trap option implies you have some trap content, but it's not going to be a lot compared to the rest of your content, which in my experience with people who enjoy trap content, generally you either want a lot of it, or none at all.

Skalli

Nov 1, 2017
Replying to the edited OP, for me I like the choice. I have no interest in futa/femboy other characters. I don't mind if they are in the game, I'd just ignore them and not go down their path as love interests. So if I can choose to have them as a female and experience more of the game, it's an easy choice for me.

Lewd Asshole

Dec 18, 2022
I'm all for more content as long as it isn't cuckshit, your question could be about almost anything and my answer would still be positive.
That said, if you're gonna make a trap make a trap and if you're gonna make a female make a female. Don't give the player the option to choose one or the other for the same character, diverging paths never get equal attention and you as a dev will stop caring for whichever ends up being less popular.

balitz Method

Jan 30, 2018
It's almost inevitable that things derail over dumb arguments about what words are best to use. No one wants to listen, everyone wants to die on their hills, and the next time it comes up it starts all over again.

but to get back to what this topic is actually about: better to commit to the choice than be waffly about it. How good could the character possibly be if a core aspect of them can be toggled on and off? It's not going to be as simple as swapping parts with a toggle; if it's approached that way then it's necessarily going to be shallow and unsatisfying for everyone.

balitz Method

Jan 30, 2018
Additionally, while having options are great, I think it's easier to market your game or whatever as "a trap game" vs "a game with trap option". Being a game with a trap option implies you have some trap content, but it's not going to be a lot compared to the rest of your content, which in my experience with people who enjoy trap content, generally you either want a lot of it, or none at all.
That's true, too. I find that I can enjoy most things if the dev knows what they're doing, but if I see something advertised as a bi game then I get disappointed if it's like 99% m/f content with one or two m/m or f/f scenes. The m/f content might be fine but I was excited by the idea that I'd get a lot of variety.

Though I will say that, with traps, I do like it more if it falls into 'significant presence but not exclusively'. Games that are all traps are fine, but to me one of their biggest strengths is that they're so versatile. One of my absolute favorite things is guy/girl/trap and it's frustratingly rare to see.