• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Tips for new creator

Case53

Game Developer
Jun 24, 2021
Hello new developer here!

This would be the first ever work of this kind I've even attempted to try. If you guys give me some tips before I release my demo it would be really helpful.
What do you guys look to see in a first release?
Is it to assess the artwork and renders?
To see if the potential storyline is to liking? On this point I'd also like to understand how much fatigue you have on overdone plotlines (School Setting, Moving in with (step)family, etc..) and is it better to try and avoid it? Or is there still enough demand for those plots.

Should I focus on giving the players a few sex scenes or should I focus more on setting up a plot?

~Cheers!!

p.s.: I've attached a few character artworks to give you guys an idea of what the game may look like.

Last edited:
Reactions: AnchovyFuta

Staimh

Dec 12, 2020
I may have offered this advice before but ...

As with any work of fiction (or art or software)
Start by designing a framework
Initially complete whatever path/route/area is the easiest for you
> For the plotline stick to what you are familiar with
> For the sex use whatever you have experienced or would like to experience
Find out how long it takes to do that well
Then start fleshing out any alternative paths/routes/areas

Wishing you all the best

P.S. Nice pics - especially like the "lighting a fag" one

Reactions: Case53

twiztid

Oct 21, 2020
For first-time developers would you recommend keeping it fairly simple, as for as the paths go, or try to add a little depth in it. I have a good base idea of where I want to go with my storyline, but the thing holding me back is not wanting to overcomplicate it.

Case53

Game Developer
Jun 24, 2021
I've taken a break from working on the renders myself to try and focus more on setting up a story. Problem is it's really hard to strike the balance between overcomplicating and having too little content.

Gotta say I thought writing would be the easiest part of all this but its where I seem to be going in circles.
Massive respect to all the devs who've come up with a decent coherent storyline

twiztid

Oct 21, 2020
I've taken a break from working on the renders myself to try and focus more on setting up a story. Problem is it's really hard to strike the balance between overcomplicating and having too little content.

Gotta say I thought writing would be the easiest part of all this but its where I seem to be going in circles.
I agree with you, to get in-depth creative writing done is really hard. I have a friend of mine that can knock out a sci-fi story like it is nothing. I personally have more fun with the coding and gfx rendering side of it. No so much the storytelling.

Reactions: Case53

Case53

Game Developer
Jun 24, 2021
Start by designing a framework
Initially complete whatever path/route/area is the easiest for you
> For the plotline stick to what you are familiar with
> For the sex use whatever you have experienced or would like to experience
Find out how long it takes to do that well
Then start fleshing out any alternative paths/routes/areas
Thank you! That means a lot and I'm diverting my attention to setting up a route. Setting up to a scene feels infinitely harder than the actual scene itself.

Case53

Game Developer
Jun 24, 2021
English, please please please write in proper English, it's a big turnoff for me if the game has big errors in the writing.
Man, I really cant agree more.
If there's anything I can promise, it's that I'll try not to plagiarize from the great philosopher GreatRedMuppet

Case53

Game Developer
Jun 24, 2021
I just want to see proof that you actually put some effort and care into your project. Bad graphics can be carried by a great story or vice versa, but if I just see a game which screams "lazy" all around, then I will be gone.
Yeah absolutely relatable . I'm sure it'll be a learning curve for me, but as someone working on this as a passion project it pains me to see those default daz3d models constantly thrown around with the bare minimum dialogue to connect the dots.
Personalizing everything has been fun, and as long as it's fun I hope I can hold to some standard.

Doorknob22

Super Moderator
Game Developer
Nov 3, 2017
1. For your demo, I think plot is better than sex scenes. Good sex scenes need good setup so unless your demo can do both, I'd go for plot first.
2. Grammar, of course. Between Atom and Google Docs proof reading you can clean 90%+ errors on your grammar and spelling.
3. Not necessarily for the demo, but focus on what turns you on, not what you think others might find popular. On the other hand, don't be afraid to run a similar plot to what others did if it really turns you on. You'll find your original voice as long as your own game appeals to you.

Deleted member 1952336

Ortus
Game Developer
Jan 18, 2020
The games that have the biggest followings usually have the best graphics. It's the first thing people see and how they decide to even download your game. I will literally just scroll down to look at the screenshots before even reading the description and I know many people are like me.

Here are some specific graphics things that apply to Daz3D (Because that's your choice for your game):
* More render cycles is better than less. You might be trying to hide lower render cycles with an artistic filter, and I guess this could work but I 90% of the time devs do this I see their forums fill up with mean comments and they wind up giving up. When I compare very popular games with average popular games, one thing I usually notice is the very popular game will use even more render cycles for an even clearer image than the average popular game.
* Color Harmony - you can find out more about this by reading up on the "Mother color" but it looks like you're doing decent from those renders.
* 3 point lighting when it makes sense - rim lights can make characters pop. Be flexible with lighting instead of only using them where they really would be. This is what high budget movies do for pretty much every shot. They try to make it look somewhat plausible for the scene, but it's almost always 3 point lighting or something similar with artificial lights to optimize the lighting.
* Interesting expressions - non symmetrical expressions at least some of the time can make the characters feel more alive and natural.
* 1920 by 1080 resolution over any smaller resolution.
* Be carful not to over compress your images, which reduces quality. Sure you can use webp to save space but If your game is still under 1GB there's no reason to ramp up the compression slider.

Here's some other things I personally like:
* I personally love sound effects and appropriate use of music. Too much music can get tiring, but around 30% to 50% of scenes covered by music that matches the feel is nice, as well as sound effects. I'll give up playing a game if it has zero sound or music.
* I don't like MC's that are weak or spineless.
* I prefer to see the characters facial expression change for every new page in dialogue. It could be a repeated if needed, such as having two happy expressions and two sad ones alternating but if I don't see their faces change, they don't feel alive to me and it doesn't feel like they're the ones talking, it just feels separated and disjointed.

Story Tips:
* Don't say the exact same thing with different wording multiple times in a row. That can get boring and cause the player to skip through.
* Think about the different speaking styles of your different characters. Do they speak in short choppy sentences or long flowy ones. Are they visually dominant or auditorily dominants: Example "That sounds like you don't like carrots" vs "I see you don't like carrots." What are their favorite words and expressions? Do they speak in a fast high pitched voice or a slow deep one? Hearing the voice in your head can help the writing come out more believable.
* Don't think of your characters as entirely one thing. No one is 100% mean all the time. Every one has tendencies but different sides to them that can come out in different situations and with different people. This is more of a personal preference perhaps, but don't like it when a character feels very one dimensional.
* Don't force your characters to do or say things. This is a tip I heard from Steven King and a few other authors but I think it can help you write more natural dialogue and story. It basically amounts to listening and waiting to see what will happen (in your imagination) instead of dictating it exactly.
* As far as "Over done things", those are just what people enjoy, which is why they get done so much. Some will bitch and complain, and others will love it. I'd highly recommend doing the kind of story and setting that you most emotionally connect with because that's what you will be able to write the best, which will make a bigger difference than weather it's a common trope or not.

Use Renpy

Players are much less likely to play your game if you don't make in renpy. Myself as well. This is because we don't know what to expect as far as save quality, roll back, loading speed, and all the other high quality things you get for free with renpy.

As far as sex scenes...

What I've seen many devs do is have quicker sex scenes for one or a couple characters in the beginning so they at least have that tag and don't loose people who won't download it until it gets that tag, but then have more emotional development before the sex scenes for the main characters. Also, try to write as much as you can for the sex scenes. People usually aren't happy with very short sex scenes, myself included.

Last edited:

Case53

Game Developer
Jun 24, 2021
Seriously, thanks for taking your time to throw in the pointers, means a lot.

* Color Harmony - you can find out more about this by reading up on the "Mother color" but it looks like you're doing decent from those renders.
I have actually been trying to keeping a consistent palette going and it's some I'll definitely look into going forwards. Thanks for the direction.

* More render cycles is better than less. You might be trying to hide lower render cycles with an artistic filter, and I guess this could work but I 90% of the time devs do this I see their forums fill up with mean comments and they wind up giving up. When I compare very popular games with average popular games, one thing I usually notice is the very popular game will use even more render cycles for an even clearer image than the average popular game.
This hits home. I honestly feel the same as you but GPU limitation is an issue, renders either take too long or is limited by my VRAM. Same thing with light bounces, I've been keeping it at a 10 to optimize recourses. Ideally I'd like to work with best result.
I've been trying to find some compromise with artistic effects myself. Guess I'll have to wait and find how people take to it.

* Interesting expressions - non symmetrical expressions at least some of the time can make the characters feel more alive and natural.
Agreed. I feel like I've lacked a lot of consistency with my current batch of renders but hopefully this will be a learning experience. I've been looking into using side images on ren'py to fill in the gaps, although I'm sideling that for now.

* Don't think of your characters as entirely one thing. No one is 100% mean all the time. Every one has tendencies but different sides to them that can come out in different situations and with different people. This is more of a personal preference perhaps, but don't like it when a character feels very one dimensional.
* Don't force your characters to do or say things. This is a tip I heard from Steven King and a few other authors but I think it can help you write more natural dialogue and story. It basically amounts to listening and waiting to see what will happen (in your imagination) instead of dictating it exactly.
That is really helpful, thank you. I've been trying not to limit characters to just one facet of their personality but it does get hard to translate to this medium. Definitely something to really improve on..

Also, try to write as much as you can for the sex scenes. People usually aren't happy with very short sex scenes, myself included.
Again really helpful, thanks.

* I personally love sound effects and appropriate use of music. Too much music can get tiring, but around 30% to 50% of scenes covered by music that matches the feel is nice, as well as sound effects. I'll give up playing a game if it has zero sound or music.
Wow damn.. definitely something to look into

Case53

Game Developer
Jun 24, 2021
Dream sex sequences suck, they ruin anticipation for future "real" sex scenes and lessen the experience.
I concur! Whether it's a fantasy being played out or a recollection, its a definite turn off. Linear storylines are so much more engaging

Dushniy

Game Developer
Apr 5, 2021
"What do you guys look to see in a first release?"
Better question would be, what do YOU want to see in a first release? Satisfy yourself first and others will follow.

Rintal

May 6, 2017
The top tip that 99% of creators ignore is DEVELOP THE FUCKING GDD FIRST! And work strictly following it.

Reactions: tdree

clowns234

Engaged Member
Game Developer
May 2, 2021

Maybe we can help each other out?
I've been toying around with the idea of creating something myself - just for fun. With 35+ years of programming experience, the Renpy code seems fairly straight forward. Also, I have been posting stories and doing captions online for about ten years. I had 50k+ followers on tumblr before it went to hell. I have since built up 40k+ on reddit.

I have been playing around with Daz3d for a couple of months now and it seems that the more I learn, the more I realize how much I need to learn. Here is a sample of some of the pics I have done.

xxx003.png xxx002.png SfN9fZ5.png xxx000.png

Last edited:

Deleted member 1952336

Ortus
Game Developer
Jan 18, 2020
This hits home. I honestly feel the same as you but GPU limitation is an issue, renders either take too long or is limited by my VRAM. Same thing with light bounces, I've been keeping it at a 10 to optimize recourses. Ideally I'd like to work with best result.
I've been trying to find some compromise with artistic effects myself. Guess I'll have to wait and find how people take to it.

Agreed. I feel like I've lacked a lot of consistency with my current batch of renders but hopefully this will be a learning experience. I've been looking into using side images on ren'py to fill in the gaps, although I'm sideling that for now.
It could be worth investing in a high end computer. I personally am too scared to spend thousands on a computer before I have any sustainable income, which is one of the many reasons I don't do Daz games. But if I were to do a Daz game, I probably would bit the bullet and do it.

Also, talking to the Pro's I've learned there's a way to queue up a large batch of renders in Daz and then let them all render while you sleep. I think that's what most of the guys and gals doing really well do, as it's much more time efficient.

And then there's clever re-use of renders with a story written specifically for this, so you have less renders but they are higher quality which I see many of the big devs do.

Another option is partnering with some one that has a high end computer and will do the 3D part while you focus on the writing, which is what some people do. I know some people even do the posing and everything themselves and then send the files over to some one else to render.

And another Option is F95's render farm, which I believe is free to small Devs. I haven't looked to far into this but I know it exists.