VN Others [Translation Request][G.J?] Hyakki Yakou/百機夜行

Marco110

Aug 19, 2020
1672455906431.png

Link:

It's a Valkyria Chronicles SRW type of game but it's set in a fictional WW1 with giant mecha, political maneuvering, and sex. So if anyone is willing to translate this into english either with MTL or manually please do so, i beg of you, because the art is extremely top notch and the whole game in itself seems extremely interesting.

1672456983053.png 1672457017457.png 1672457078968.png 1672457121896.png 1672457149065.png

Reactions: Nijinda Futatama

NarrisL

Feb 2, 2022
it seems to be easy engine to mess with. but she doesn't like english white spaces, I used japanese one

View attachment 2539337
Interesting... How did you get access to the game files? Does an official unpacker and packer exist for this file type or did you just reverse engineer this whole thing by hand?
I have Translator++ running with Sugoi so I'm ready to create a proper parser for those scripts files and translate the game in its entirety :v

Boarborn

Apr 11, 2022
Interesting... How did you get access to the game files? Does an official unpacker and packer exist for this file type or did you just reverse engineer this whole thing by hand?
I have Translator++ running with Sugoi so I'm ready to create a proper parser for those scripts files and translate the game in its entirety :v
it uses dxlib (i believe an open source directx wrapper library), you can use this to extract:

the key in this case is: b"\x99\x96\xF8\xA9\x88\xC3\x8D\x92\x33\x16\xF1\xA9"

fortunately it doesn't need repacking

Reactions: NarrisL

NarrisL

Feb 2, 2022
it uses dxlib (i believe an open source directx wrapper library), you can use this to extract:

the key in this case is: b"\x99\x96\xF8\xA9\x88\xC3\x8D\x92\x33\x16\xF1\xA9"

fortunately it doesn't need repacking
I've already tried to extract it with GARbro and place the files in different ways in the game folder but it never worked so I was surprised when you said that it "doesn't need repacking" :v
However after seeing your comment I've tried a little harder, and put the game files in a folder plainly named "scenario", and surprise, surprise, it actually worked!
Man I wasted my night trying to figure out if there was any tools that handled re-archiving dxlib games, even considered dabbling in debugging tools, but all I had to do was changing a freaking folder name x)

Thanks a lot! Now just have to cook up some parser and this request will be as good as done :v Thank god the script syntax is all in ABC and all the lines start with "main".

NarrisL

Feb 2, 2022
I don't know if everything will work as expected but here's a first try at a MTL translation for this game.

Last edited:

YAP224

Dec 18, 2023
Sorry to bother you with this, but how exactly I can extract the game files with GARbro?
When I try to extract the scenario.usi it say that it could not be opened as resource archive.
I have no experience with either GARbro or DxLib.
I've tried to learn more about how to use that program on it's github page, but couldn't find anything useful that would point me the right way on how to resolve this problem.

Update: After reading various discussions about GARbro to figure out why it does not recognize the file as resource archive, and still learned nothing, I've even tried older ver1.2.8 since that version added support for encrypted DxLib archives, yet the results were the same.

What I've tried next was to install the latest ver1.5.44 from setup instead of rar archive, in case it's caused by some missing registry or something related to installation, and apparently that was the case.

I never got any message that some files from the rar archive are considered malicious and thus blocked from extracting.
I've unpacked the rar archive, launched GARbro.GUI.exe, (again, without any issues) navigate to the 百機夜行 folder, select scenario.usi and got message: "file could not be opened as resource archive".
When I did the same after installing GARbro with setup, it extracted the archive without any issues.

To make my post less pointless, I would like to thank NarrisL for the translated script.

I got interested in this game mainly due to artwork by Sano Toshihide, the game-play however is surprisingly fun, and I got interested in the story of this game as well.
My knowledge of Japanese language is still insufficient though. I know some basics and it's not that hard to figure out the menu, commands and win/loose conditions, for the choices that affect the story though, even the machine translation is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

selius

Oct 7, 2017

base game. not translated. just use the previously posted mtl if you're so inclined

ps: it's still not very playable. the game needs a UI trans, not story.

Last edited:

YAP224

Dec 18, 2023
it's still not very playable. the game needs a UI trans, not story.
I actually find UI quite easy to figure out even though I still can't memorize how each kanji is spelled, but rather learn and memorize by position.
Battle game-play is also not very difficult with exception of last boss fight. (Can't judge objectively though since I didn't made it that far yet. I've only read about it.)

My issue with untranslated game is learning what decisions affect the story. Like for example:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
I know there is story branching at episode 16 where you decide on which side you will fight for the rest of the game, but I've read something about defeating certain enemies to get medals, can affect the route of the story. Not sure if that's accurate.
There is still lot to cover in text files translation like "intermission" and "status" resource archives, not to mention all the UI elements stored in image bitmap.
Not sure if the scenario script translation provided by NarrisL will help in any way to learn what action lead to certain consequences, but it's still appreciated.

I've decided to contribute a bit myself and went to translate "specialstatus.csv" that covers special abilities names, description and character quotes when using the ability, but it's spreadsheet with many sections requiring to remain untranslated for the game to recognize them, while "," is used as separator and "@n" to split sentence to multiple lines in-game.
I'm not that familiar with tools like Translator++ to help me fully automatize the process, thus I'm doing this by translating only selected column, then replace lines that have to be Japanese and every comma in translated sentence that would otherwise be recognized as separator and completely break the spreadsheet and so on.

I'm using whatever tool I'm familiar with, to at least partially automatize the process, but it's still quite time consuming since I'm also doing translation corrections, thus I've spent several hour just on that one file, and I'm still only about half way done.
(I couldn't figure out how to make translator engine to ignore the "@n" split, thus I'm doing that part manually as well.)

I would like to coordinate with others who participate though, to avoid wasting time on doing something that has been done already, but not released yet.

Last edited:

YAP224

Dec 18, 2023
I've made rookie mistake and used translated text as basis, that made me to correct multiple lines of same text for special attack description (duplicates for each character and rank of their "aircraft" where MTL made slight variations for each line, even though the original Japanese text was identical.) thus I decided to partially scrap the translation and start anew.

This time, I'm using original Japanese text as basis and replace every duplicates at once rather than correct each variation of translation.

Minor issue is that "機体" in description, distinguishing damage to mechanical unit from damage to "歩兵" infantry, get translated as "aircraft".
I can't decide whether I should change it to gear, armor or simply tank.
Choosing "unit" would be inaccurate since that describe them as whole, both walking tank and support infantry together.

NarrisL

Feb 2, 2022
I actually find UI quite easy to figure out even though I still can't memorize how each kanji is spelled, but rather learn and memorize by position.
Battle game-play is also not very difficult with exception of last boss fight. (Can't judge objectively though since I didn't made it that far yet. I've only read about it.)

My issue with untranslated game is learning what decisions affect the story. Like for example:
I know there is story branching at episode 16 where you decide on which side you will fight for the rest of the game, but I've read something about defeating certain enemies to get medals, can affect the route of the story. Not sure if that's accurate.
There is still lot to cover in text files translation like "intermission" and "status" resource archives, not to mention all the UI elements stored in image bitmap.
Not sure if the scenario script translation provided by NarrisL will help in any way to learn what action lead to certain consequences, but it's still appreciated.

I've decided to contribute a bit myself and went to translate "specialstatus.csv" that covers special abilities names, description and character quotes when using the ability, but it's spreadsheet with many sections requiring to remain untranslated for the game to recognize them, while "," is used as separator and "@n" to split sentence to multiple lines in-game.
I'm not that familiar with tools like Translator++ to help me fully automatize the process, thus I'm doing this by translating only selected column, then replace lines that have to be Japanese and every comma in translated sentence that would otherwise be recognized as separator and completely break the spreadsheet and so on.

I'm using whatever tool I'm familiar with, to at least partially automatize the process, but it's still quite time consuming since I'm also doing translation corrections, thus I've spent several hour just on that one file, and I'm still only about half way done.
(I couldn't figure out how to make translator engine to ignore the "@n" split, thus I'm doing that part manually as well.)

I would like to coordinate with others who participate though, to avoid wasting time on doing something that has been done already, but not released yet.
Yeah, sorry, i figured out a bit later that there were many more non-translated bits lol but was too lazy to upload them back due to not knowing if there were more people interested in this game. So if people here haven't already done it, here's what I came up with (had to make a whole regex parsing system thing for filtering the @n stuff btw lol).
There are still parts like the infantry descriptions which aren't translated though and I understood too late how important they were x) But here are my two cents for those who want a quick and dirty mtl translation for most of the stuff :v

+ Since i wanted a small sized file, i removed most of the non-text stuff, so people who want to use this will just have to drag the corresponding files in the main game folder and just replace anything they're prompted to replace in the extracted folders.

Last edited:

YAP224

Dec 18, 2023
here are my two cents for those who want a quick and dirty mtl translation for most of the stuff :v
Thanks a lot, most notably for the intermission MTL. That's lot of files, and without proper tools (that I'm not familiar with) it would take quite some time to run those through translator.

Nonetheless, here's my take on special attack translation.
screenshot.png
Known issue: Status screen won't display all available attacks since they wont fit in there anymore, and some of them will also reach out of the frame in selection window.
screenshot.png
Update: I've added abbreviated infantry, name of the episode and win/loose conditions.
screenshot.png

Last edited:

YAP224

Dec 18, 2023
I'm curious about overall status of this game's translation.

Boarborn posted one screenshot roughly one year ago, implying there is some English translation for the intermission scenes available, but only thing posted here was the rough MTL provided by NarrisL.

That itself is sufficient to understand most important part of the text, and rest of it you can correct yourself with common sense, the "reference" section however, containing descriptions of all the stuff in-game seems like it's missing small parts of the text, thus I've decided to start making another translation on my own.

I don't feel like work full time on this though, thus it's still mostly MTL with only minor corrections, and my progress on this is slow. Manually format the text to avoid words being split on multiple lines is also pain to do since it's difficult to predict the results, thus I've decided to not do that.
screenshot.png
I've accidentally discovered one interesting thing about this game though.
It does have support for UTF-8 text encoding. (at least in the "reference" text)

Once I've made some corrections to the MTL and replaced all spaces in Notepad++, the text was showing kanji symbol between each word instead of space.

I've double checked that I've replaced every space with the Japanese one, and then I've noticed that Notepad++ saved the file in UTF-8 encoding not the original ANSI. Thus I've reverted all the spaces to Western standard, kept the UTF-8 and it display the text in-game without any issues.

Last edited: