Daz “Transparent” objects to dforce

macintosh76

May 20, 2021
Hi,

I am facing a strange behavior with a pillow that seems to be transparent to dforce. Each time I simulate a hairs or clothes that falls on it, it just passes through. If I replace the pillow with a primitive like a sphere or a plane than it works correctly. Is there a parameter on an object that make it transparent to dforce. Of course all objects are visible to simulation.

watdapakisdis

Aug 24, 2016
Have you tried adding a dforce static surface modifier to the pillow?
Is the object clipping the pillow even before the simulation?

macintosh76

May 20, 2021
Thanks for the try but it didn't worked, tried the static dforce, no clipping at the beginning of the simulation, I just changed those damn pillows with ones from another content set, and it works perfectly without having to do anything special... really strange, but enough time lost on that.

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
I just changed those damn pillows with ones from another content set, and it works perfectly without having to do anything special... really strange, but enough time lost on that.
no__name hit it on the head. The first pillow was probably very low-poly. (You could look at it in wireframe view to see.)

The default way that dForce tries to calculate collisions between objects makes the assumption that the objects have a certain minimum "resolution" in terms of their mesh. If the mesh is too coarse, the collision logic fails, and things fall through things. (BTW, there are settings that affect the collision logic - check the simulation pane. The default is "Better - Continuous CCD Vertex-face", but "Best Continuous CCD" works better, at the cost of some additional calculations.)

So, for example, a plane without divisions will be (effectively) transparent, and dForce objects will fall right through it. (Or it through them.) A plane with several hundred divisions won't. You can easily see this effect with just a cube and a plane with varying degrees of divisions. If the plane or square is too coarse, the plane won't "drape" over the cube the way that cloth would.

Reactions: macintosh76

NanoGames

Nov 24, 2020
Also check if it's set up to be ignored in dForce, under the parameters tab search for simulation, visible in simulation must be set to on or else the object will be ignored.

This setting is usefull when you don't want your clothes colliding with the hair or accesories, it should be on by default but maybe those pillows got saved incorrectly.

hansolocambo

Jun 21, 2020
no__name
Wireframe's density has NO effect on the precision of a soft body simulation. You can simulate 20000 pillows falling on a single plane : it'll work exactly the same way whether your plane has 1 quad, or 10k quads.

Test : 1 static dForce plane with only 1 quad, no subdivision at all.
75 spheres, dynamic dForce objects, 28000 polygons.

Simulation ran perfectly. Not even a tiny vertex attempted to go through the single quad ground plane.
Soft-Body Simulations or Global Illumination rendering engines that needed more polygons to calculate correctly are from an old era.
A dForce simulation needs more polygons only for soft objects that fold. But more polygons often means slower computation, rather than better end result.

-------------------------------------
macintosh76

Select your dynamic surfaces (soft body objects). Edit > Objects > Geometry > Add dForce Modifier : Dynamic Surface.
Select your idle surfaces (rigid body objects). Edit > Objects > Geometry > Add dForce Modifier : Static Surface.

When you use already made objects from bundles made by multiple John Doe, of course you can't expect them all to behave exactly the same way. It's not DAZ3D filling the stores. It's anyone. So the quality goes from terrible (big majority of products) to good (rare).

If an object does not simulate it's probably not at all part of the simulation. Add dForce Modifiers, define Surface physics properties, etc. And it'll work.

Advice (what I did a while ago) : read
Make a Word .docx with summarized dForce info. And soon you'll manage to use dForce properly. At least understand why a pillow does not simulate when another one does.

Last edited:
Reactions: macintosh76

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
@no__name
Wireframe's density has NO effect on the precision of a soft body simulation. You can simulate 20000 pillows falling on a single plane : it'll work exactly the same way whether your plane has 1 quad, or 10k quads.

Test : 1 static dForce plane with only 1 quad, no subdivision at all.
75 spheres, dynamic dForce objects, 28000 polygons.

Simulation ran perfectly. Not even a tiny vertex attempted to go through the single quad ground plane.
Soft-Body Simulations or Global Illumination rendering engines that needed more polygons to calculate correctly are from an old era.
A dForce simulation needs more polygons only for soft objects that fold. But more polygons often means slower computation, rather than better end result.
dForce ain't "real" softbody simulation.
What I was thinking was a know dForce bug, trick is/was to push subD verts to force collision detection.
That said it may (or not) have been fixed, I havn't simulated something in dForce for ages.

hansolocambo

Jun 21, 2020
Thing is I personally never use dForce. I played with it and pushed it to its limits using my own 3D objects, not already made stuff from the store. Just a workflow that might give someone ideas.
- Load in DAZ a cloth that you like. GoZ it to ZBrush.
- Load a Genesis in DAZ. Shape/morph it the way you want. GoZ it to ZBrush in A-Pose.
- Now in ZBrush (or Blender, Maya, etc. any proper 3D app) make a retopology of the cloth. I do all retopology by hand. I worked in the video game industry for some years back to the PS1 era. When the main character in a game is 300 or 400 polygons, you gotta put them precisely where they're needed :) If the cloth has too many folds then use the unwrapped version ("Flatten" in ZBrush) of the DAZ mesh to help you recreate your own.
- Unwrap this new nicely modeled version of the DAZ cloth.
- And then I import the Genesis in Marvelous Designer. A-Pose.
- I create different poses in DAZ, upload the timeline using .mdd format (Animate 2), Preset Modo, Scale 100%
- With only ! the Genesis loaded in Marvelous Designer, I import the point cloud information (MDD file) : File > Import MDD Cache (Standard), Scale cm (DAZ Studio) 100%
- Finally, I Import (Add) my retopologized shirt as a garment. Now, with the so cool Animation Tab in Marvelous, I can play the DAZ animation (MDD is 1 morph per frame so you see the animation as if there were bones) of Genesis and simulate the shirt. As it's not the poor dForce you can reshape manually the shirt, roll sleeves, whatever. It's possible to stop the animation at any frame, if you need to render different poses and export different versions of the shirt.

That being said, once the shirt is retopologized, you can eventually simulate it with dForce. When a wireframe's clean, dForce behaves efficiently. But its slowness, instability, and the fact that you can't pull, push, pin, roll, etc. the garment, makes it a bit useless. Not knowing the result until after the calculation, not being able to interact with the simulation in any way, it's really frustrating.

Last edited:

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
Thing is I personally never use dForce. I played with it and pushed it to its limits using my own 3D objects, not already made stuff from the store. Just a workflow that might give someone ideas.
- Load in DAZ a cloth that you like. GoZ it to ZBrush.
- Load a Genesis in DAZ. Shape/morph it the way you want. GoZ it to ZBrush in A-Pose.
- Now in ZBrush (or Blender, Maya, etc. any proper 3D app) make a retopology of the cloth. I do all retopology by hand. I worked in the video game industry for some years back to the PS1 era. When the main character in a game is 300 or 400 polygons, you gotta put them precisely where they're needed :) If the cloth has too many folds then use the unwrapped version ("Flatten" in ZBrush) of the DAZ mesh to help you recreate your own.
- Unwrap this new nicely modeled version of the DAZ cloth.
- And then I import the Genesis in Marvelous Designer. A-Pose.
- I create different poses in DAZ, upload the timeline using .mdd format (Animate 2), Preset Modo, Scale 100%
- With only ! the Genesis loaded in Marvelous Designer, I import the point cloud information (MDD file) : File > Import MDD Cache (Standard), Scale cm (DAZ Studio) 100%
- Finally, I Import (Add) my retopologized shirt as a garment. Now, with the so cool Animation Tab in Marvelous, I can play the DAZ animation (MDD is 1 morph per frame so you see the animation as if there were bones) of Genesis and simulate the shirt. As it's not the poor dForce you can reshape manually the shirt, roll sleeves, whatever. It's possible to stop the animation at any frame, if you need to render different poses and export different versions of the shirt.

That being said, once the shirt is retopologized, you can eventually simulate it with dForce. When a wireframe's clean, dForce behaves efficiently. But its slowness, instability, and the fact that you can't pull, push, pin, roll, etc. the garment, makes it a bit useless. Not knowing the result until after the calculation, not being able to interact with the simulation in any way, it's really frustrating.

Translated with (free version)
I mean I got you, I barely use dForce and use MD as well, but it's a bit far from OP problem.
Most people ain't gonna export/retopologize for a pair of pant/pillow/blanket falling on the floor, it's a tad bit overkill.

Reactions: hansolocambo

macintosh76

May 20, 2021
Thanks a lot both and no problem on showing a little bit more and/or different things, it's always good to know how the Pros are doing it.

Cheers.