Trends in 18+ games that are turn offs: a discussion

GracelessLamb

Oct 20, 2019
I have been plowing through a ton of these games over the past couple of weeks and I’ve found that several elements that are present in even my favorite 18+ games that are extremely not sexy. Like yeah, I get that a lot of shit is sexy to different people, plus these games were probably not made with me as its target audience.

For example, there’s a mechanic in one of my favorite hrpgs, Wings of Roldea where the protagonisthas to urinate every few hours (like a normal person) However, the player is subjected to a close up shot of MC-chan’s crotch as she pees and apparently we’re supposed to find it sexy because she also makes these moaning noises as she takes a leak.

I have never been so not aroused.

I have plenty of other examples but I’d like to hear examples from people who are not me.

pasunna

Game Developer
Feb 11, 2019
For me it's footjob, i reallt don't know why they are in almost all adult game..
I don't know this too
I my self feel so so with foot job and pee (not like not hate not interest)
but...I even consider to add it to my game...
Like... um... it a standard or something... - -
not sure what the hell am I thinking too...
Maybe because I watch Jav and hentai too much...

GracelessLamb

Oct 20, 2019
I don't know this too
I my self feel so so with foot job and pee (not like not hate not interest)
but...I even consider to add it to my game...
Like... um... it a standard or something... - -
not sure what the hell am I thinking too...
Maybe because I watch Jav and hentai too much...
developers if you’re reading this thread: nothing dries up my vagina more than the idea of someone expelling waste during sex. that and rape. Both of which are standards in hentai unfortunately.

pasunna

Game Developer
Feb 11, 2019
developers if you’re reading this thread: nothing dries up my vagina more than the idea of someone expelling waste during sex. that and rape. Both of which are standards in hentai unfortunately.
well... I don't care... Haha...
I do what I like and I kind of like rape in Jav eroge and hentai
there are many devs here that hate rape so check out those game

GracelessLamb

Oct 20, 2019
well... I don't care... Haha...
I do what I like and I kind of like rape in Jav eroge and hentai
there are many devs here that hate rape so check out those game
You do you.

And a lot of people do like those kinda games where non con is the standard. A lot of games I like have rape in them as well, though i skip those scenes unless it’s plot relevant.

it’s just not something I find very appealing unless it’s under certain circumstances. (to which it would probably be qualified as dub con rather than noncon/rape)

like I said earlier; pretty sure these games don’t have me, a bisexual female(or females in general ) as their target demographic when making these games and that’s fine. I’ll still play them and enjoy the hell out of them. Mostly. At the end of the day we’re all here for boobs.

Last edited:
Reactions: pasunna

pasunna

Game Developer
Feb 11, 2019
You do you.

And a lot of people do like those kinda games where non con is the standard. A lot of games I like have rape in them as well, though i skip those scenes unless it’s plot relevant.

it’s just not something I find very appealing unless it’s under certain circumstances. (to which it would probably be qualified as dub con rather than noncon/rape)

like I said earlier; pretty sure these games don’t have me, a bisexual female(or females in general ) as their target demographic when making these games and that’s fine. I’ll still play them and enjoy the hell out of them. Mostly. At the end of the day we’re all here for boobs.
Yeah... if I would say I don’t really like the normal rape
I like plot rape like black mail
The girl pay debt or got disadvantaged by husband boss
Girl got drunk and defend less get gangbang by coworker or husband friend
I like to see her feel shame to get fuck by those she don’t like or never want to fuck
The pride girl get down etc
The mistaken rape is also fun
Like wife’s friend or sister wear wife clothes and the husband go fuck her by surprise turn out she is not his wife

From my point of view I like these plot of japan
The other of this forum call it cheesy but for me I call it creative an exciting
I’m not interested by normal or romance sex much…
Well everyone got their own fetish…

GracelessLamb

Oct 20, 2019
Yeah... if I would say I don’t really like the normal rape
I like plot rape like black mail
The girl pay debt or got disadvantaged by husband boss
Girl got drunk and defend less get gangbang by coworker or husband friend
I like to see her feel shame to get fuck by those she don’t like or never want to fuck
The pride girl get down etc
The mistaken rape is also fun
Like wife’s friend or sister wear wife clothes and the husband go fuck her by surprise turn out she is not his wife

From my point of view I like these plot of japan
The other of this forum call it cheesy but for me I call it creative an exciting
I’m not interested by normal or romance sex much…
Well everyone got their own fetish…
Okay I will admit, the blackmail/mistaken identity concepts are a bit exciting so I get where you're coming from. It definitely ups the sexual tension of a scene pretty high especially if it's obvious that both parties are turned on by it. That's what we call dubious consent.

I dabble in writing smut, so for me, if there's no sexual tension and/or chemistry between sex participants, it's not a good scene. Otherwise it's just clinical and unsettling.

anyway! Changing topics. Have you people ever sat through an hscene and wondered what kind of person would get off to this because it was so god damn weird? I played a game yesterday where a guy stuck his arm into a girl's vagina and she crushed it with her pussy and I really hope this wasn't meant to be sexy because it was probably the most disgusting (but kind of awesome and hilarious) thing I've ever seen.

pasunna

Game Developer
Feb 11, 2019
Okay I will admit, the blackmail/mistaken identity concepts are a bit exciting so I get where you're coming from. It definitely ups the sexual tension of a scene pretty high especially if it's obvious that both parties are turned on by it. That's what we call dubious consent.

I dabble in writing smut, so for me, if there's no sexual tension and/or chemistry between sex participants, it's not a good scene. Otherwise it's just clinical and unsettling.

anyway! Changing topics. Have you people ever sat through an hscene and wondered what kind of person would get off to this because it was so god damn weird? I played a game yesterday where a guy stuck his arm into a girl's vagina and she crushed it with her pussy and I really hope this wasn't meant to be sexy because it was probably the most disgusting (but kind of awesome and hilarious) thing I've ever seen.
It’s call guro sex
You will more excite if you browse in thoes stuff…
I’m not in that type but they are in other level of imagination
Fuck her brain all her lose neck…hole
Well… that not something I would ever imagine about…
But as long as it exist someone would like it
Basely the author is…

Beggarman

Jan 14, 2018
I don't think there's much that outright turns me off. Of the fetishes I know, I think it's basically just scat and [characters that look like and act like children]. Probably more that I don't outright remember, but still a fairly limited list. There's also plenty like you mentioned - like, someone just peeing does nothing for me, and I can't work out what anyone else gets out of it. I mean, when there's nobody spying on them, or they aren't peeing on something specific, or... idk.

For me, it's more that there's a few core themes I really like (specifically, Female MC's and some element of... I guess anxiety - I have an anxiety disorder but also anxiety really gives me the horn) and so how other fetishes feed into that defines how I feel about them. Like, say, feet. I find feet slightly icky, but a naive MC allowing a pervert to rub her feet, or someone blackmailing/forcing the MC to give them a footjob, or a character beaten in a fight getting a foot rubbed in their face to humiliate them? That can be hot for me, because it's risky, or scary, or humiliating, or whatever. Though, if it was overused, it's not, it loses the shock- and ick-factor.

That said, what annoys me more is the herd-y nature of a lot of games in certain genres. Like, practically all the biggest "western" VN's seem to be Male MC's who are a bit on the weedy side fucking their families and also their father is dead. RPGMaker games are mostly repeat rapefests for a Female MC, followed by games where they're extreme exhibitionists or shag everything that moves. Even if I like the topic, just seeing so many of these games do the same things over and over again is a bit boring, especially when they overdo it or hyper-focus on one thing.

baneini

Jun 28, 2017
Jap games have some awful design trends: large word count/repetitive combat to arbitrarily extend the gameplay hours. Trope sex scenes that people have seen in other jap media and think they should be in the game regardless if it makes sense, fits the game or is arousing. Plus censored art and wonky body proportions. All in all see jap tag = avoid.

In westerns there's problems with derivative design: a 3dcg incest game where same models are recycled hundred times, everyones 18+ despite the young sister character is mentally 12y old and goes to middle school, mother looks like 20y old supermodel. Patreon rules kill some of the potential differentiation so you just skip most of them.

A sense of progression and diversity is needed to make a game good. Some Devs like specific extreme fetish and produce a one dimensional game where all women look same, do same and once you've seen 1 sex scene you've seen them all.

Vanilla story heavy VN's are essentially pointless. If you press shift you complete a 30k word game in 3mins which is not engaging.

vihtahousu

Nov 4, 2018
Jap games have some awful design trends: large word count/repetitive combat to arbitrarily extend the gameplay hours. Trope sex scenes that people have seen in other jap media and think they should be in the game regardless if it makes sense, fits the game or is arousing. Plus censored art and wonky body proportions. All in all see jap tag = avoid.

In westerns there's problems with derivative design: a 3dcg incest game where same models are recycled hundred times, everyones 18+ despite the .....
Amen to everything you said in your post!
Endless tedious repetitive "conversations" that could have been essentially shortened to few sentences, that trend is worst in jap and been a trend even in not sex j-games but seems to be a curse of lot of western adult games too. Please, stop artificially lenghtening games with bs like this.

Recycled model assets: "oh i've seen this supposedly mature woman in thousands of these VN games..." You only need to check few preview pics of games to determine if its again that recycling, same chicks and guys but slightly different setting. Avoid!

NTR: Just dont get it. Why is that a thing? Why would it turn me on when someone "steals" a person i have a crush on?

Corruption: Seems like 50% of games these days have this tag. I can understand why that would be a thing for some but its such a turnoff for me.

There is more, but these things come to my mind first. Perhaps to add "futa/trans" that everyone and their mother is producing non-stop. Im actually liking some of that stuff but i'm amazed of amount thats available out there, is it really that big scene these days?

To end this with some positive thoughts: Best adult game that exist imo is excellent "Adventures of Willy D" (if you havent played it, just do yourself a favor) . That point and click game reminding of old lucasarts games type dont have best graphics in world, but is good enough to turn you on(is animated too ofc) and is one of those rarities where you would actually want to play the game instead of just automatically opening the walkthrough of it :) Pursuing the sex scenes feels rewarding and there is enough of them paced perfectly - not too often , not too far between.

GracelessLamb

Oct 20, 2019
I don't think there's much that outright turns me off. Of the fetishes I know, I think it's basically just scat and [characters that look like and act like children]. Probably more that I don't outright remember, but still a fairly limited list. There's also plenty like you mentioned - like, someone just peeing does nothing for me, and I can't work out what anyone else gets out of it. I mean, when there's nobody spying on them, or they aren't peeing on something specific, or... idk.

For me, it's more that there's a few core themes I really like (specifically, Female MC's and some element of... I guess anxiety - I have an anxiety disorder but also anxiety really gives me the horn) and so how other fetishes feed into that defines how I feel about them. Like, say, feet. I find feet slightly icky, but a naive MC allowing a pervert to rub her feet, or someone blackmailing/forcing the MC to give them a footjob, or a character beaten in a fight getting a foot rubbed in their face to humiliate them? That can be hot for me, because it's risky, or scary, or humiliating, or whatever. Though, if it was overused, it's not, it loses the shock- and ick-factor.

That said, what annoys me more is the herd-y nature of a lot of games in certain genres. Like, practically all the biggest "western" VN's seem to be Male MC's who are a bit on the weedy side fucking their families and also their father is dead. RPGMaker games are mostly repeat rapefests for a Female MC, followed by games where they're extreme exhibitionists or shag everything that moves. Even if I like the topic, just seeing so many of these games do the same things over and over again is a bit boring, especially when they overdo it or hyper-focus on one thing.
I've played a ton of those RPGMaker games and for once, I would like to see a female protag game that isn't full of old perverts. Wings of Roldea did it right by allowing you to choose your sexual partners so you don't have to go for the old crusty guys for semen collection. It still has monster rape but they can't rape if they're dead bwahahaha

In westerns there's problems with derivative design: a 3dcg incest game where same models are recycled hundred times, everyones 18+ despite the young sister character is mentally 12y old and goes to middle school, mother looks like 20y old supermodel. Patreon rules kill some of the potential differentiation so you just skip most of them.

A sense of progression and diversity is needed to make a game good. Some Devs like specific extreme fetish and produce a one dimensional game where all women look same, do same and once you've seen 1 sex scene you've seen them all.

Vanilla story heavy VN's are essentially pointless. If you press shift you complete a 30k word game in 3mins which is not engaging.
I play almost exclusively games from japan because the 3D art style totally turns me off as well. It's just...creepy and lifeless. And you're right, most devs in these games tend to only put effort in one or two characters and any other character that isn't the MC is just generic or an old pervert. It's one of my biggest pet peeves tbh.

I wouldn't say they are pointless if the story's good. See: nonH VNs like Steins;Gate or Higurashi

Amen to everything you said in your post!
Endless tedious repetitive "conversations" that could have been essentially shortened to few sentences, that trend is worst in jap and been a trend even in not sex j-games but seems to be a curse of lot of western adult games too. Please, stop artificially lenghtening games with bs like this.

Recycled model assets: "oh i've seen this supposedly mature woman in thousands of these VN games..." You only need to check few preview pics of games to determine if its again that recycling, same chicks and guys but slightly different setting. Avoid!

NTR: Just dont get it. Why is that a thing? Why would it turn me on when someone "steals" a person i have a crush on?

Corruption: Seems like 50% of games these days have this tag. I can understand why that would be a thing for some but its such a turnoff for me.

There is more, but these things come to my mind first. Perhaps to add "futa/trans" that everyone and their mother is producing non-stop. Im actually liking some of that stuff but i'm amazed of amount thats available out there, is it really that big scene these days?

To end this with some positive thoughts: Best adult game that exist imo is excellent "Adventures of Willy D" (if you havent played it, just do yourself a favor) . That point and click game reminding of old lucasarts games type dont have best graphics in world, but is good enough to turn you on(is animated too ofc) and is one of those rarities where you would actually want to play the game instead of just automatically opening the walkthrough of it :) Pursuing the sex scenes feels rewarding and there is enough of them paced perfectly - not too often , not too far between.
As I said earlier, hgames need less generic character art, especially for male characters. I get that guys are not as fun to draw but like....at least give them a hair color that isn't brown or something. Anything to make them stand out like the female characters do.

Over the last few days I've played a few NTR games and I don't really get it either. Then again I haven't gotten to the part where the dude finds out or anything because I'll get bored partway through. I'm still salty about Filio's quest line in Leanna's slice of life. IT HAD SO MUCH POTENTIAL

I would like corruption games if they weren't as sleazy. I feel gross after corruption scenes ngl.

ChaosOpen

Game Developer
Sep 26, 2019
If I was to name a trend I don't understand it would be herbivore protagonist. Out of morbid curiosity I've read some NTR manga and the guy who gets cucked always has exactly the same personality as the protagonist of most H-games and it ends up reminding me of those NTR manga I read and it puts me in a bad mood. Like he doesn't have to be a "Chad" type character but at least give him just a bit of self respect, make him able to do things like carry on a conversation with the opposite sex and stand up for himself when people push him around. Most games don't even feature a male supporting character simply because it is impossible to write someone more pathetic than the MC so that he wouldn't give the impression that he is capable of stealing the MC's harem. Whenever I see this I can't help but think "NTR coming in 10... 9..."

GracelessLamb

Oct 20, 2019
If I was to name a trend I don't understand it would be herbivore protagonist. Out of morbid curiosity I've read some NTR manga and the guy who gets cucked always has exactly the same personality as the protagonist of most H-games and it ends up reminding me of those NTR manga I read and it puts me in a bad mood. Like he doesn't have to be a "Chad" type character but at least give him just a bit of self respect, make him able to do things like carry on a conversation with the opposite sex and stand up for himself when people push him around. Most games don't even feature a male supporting character simply because it is impossible to write someone more pathetic than the MC so that he wouldn't give the impression that he is capable of stealing the MC's harem. Whenever I see this I can't help but think "NTR coming in 10... 9..."
which is why I am an aggressive advocate for equal gender distribution in every game. Otome games are the same way with their MCs and it drives me nuts. I mean...c'mon MC grow a back bone and a personality. Put on your big girl/boy pants and stand up for yourself and not let your object of affection do the heavy lifting. Though the male MCs are more insufferable if they're like this in my opinion.

Repeating the same Scenes over and over for "Progress" without a Option to skip if already seen.
Mayo sounds for Sex.
Locking Content behind endless Grind to stretch the lenght.
Most text based games have a skip function or an option to skip the scene if it's repeatable. Usually.

Conquestus

Modder
Jun 17, 2018
I'm pretty basic, when it comes to erotic... And when I explore the section, alot of stuff is some scat, furry, trap, enormous boobs and butts, NTR, mutilation... And I stand here, watching that whole stuff like...

lol.jpg

I get that people have their fetishes, but man... There is no good "regular" material anymore.

FizzyDrink

Oct 25, 2019
I would not call this a trend but for me, its being harmed in (almost) any way. Things like being hit or spit on.

lawfullame

Game Developer
Aug 6, 2019
The main target audience for most adult games, including those with a female protagonist, is a cis-straight man. This is simply a fact that will probably never change. I suppose even a woman may like some adult games where the main target audience is a man, but games where the main target audience is a woman will always be quite rare.