Daz Tricks to make sure hair doesn't go through objects?

lawfullame

Game Developer
Aug 6, 2019
I use hair that is not D-Force hair. Let's say a character lies on a pillow and the ends of his hair go through the pillow and are visible.
Standard morphs do not allow the ends of hair to get outside the area where they are visible.
What is the best trick to get them somewhere where they aren't visible or get rid of them?

I can think of playing with D-Former, or removing hair ends with a geometry editor in that scene.
Another way may be to set the hair collision with the pillow, or shells around the pillow, but then there may be a problem with the hair and character collision, because there can be only one collision item for the hair.
Do you know any better solution?

Last edited:

Porcus Dev

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Oct 12, 2017
Even if the hair is not DForce, you can apply it to it, although it has some complications (in fact, you can add DForce to everything you want, although of course, the products that already have it incorporated are more optimized for its use)

If you apply DForce to the hair, the first thing you have to do is check if one of its surfaces is "scalp", and on it change the value of the DForce strength from 1 to 0. This will prevent the "stuck" part of the character's head from moving, but it's not enough, because what you want is for the final part of the hair, the ends, to have much more movement than the top, and for that you have to create a "weight map" with gradient, so that the movement of the hair will be more fluid as it goes down towards the ends.
I also think it's advisable to disable the "Self collition" option on all "surfaces" (now I don't remember exactly, maybe only on some)

Once you've done this, you'll have to put your character in a different pose to the one you have now, with your head higher than the pillow, and use the DForce in the animation so that the result in the hair is as if you were lying on it.

It's not easy, but one is satisfied when the right result is achieved, lol :p

lawfullame

Game Developer
Aug 6, 2019
Even if the hair is not DForce, you can apply it to it, although it has some complications (in fact, you can add DForce to everything you want, although of course, the products that already have it incorporated are more optimized for its use)

If you apply DForce to the hair, the first thing you have to do is check if one of its surfaces is "scalp", and on it change the value of the DForce strength from 1 to 0. This will prevent the "stuck" part of the character's head from moving, but it's not enough, because what you want is for the final part of the hair, the ends, to have much more movement than the top, and for that you have to create a "weight map" with gradient, so that the movement of the hair will be more fluid as it goes down towards the ends.
I also think it's advisable to disable the "Self collition" option on all "surfaces" (now I don't remember exactly, maybe only on some)

Once you've done this, you'll have to put your character in a different pose to the one you have now, with your head higher than the pillow, and use the DForce in the animation so that the result in the hair is as if you were lying on it.

It's not easy, but one is satisfied when the right result is achieved, lol :p
Once I tried to use D-Force on hair that was not D-Force product and the result looked very strange. But I didn't use a weight map.
And once I tried to add D-Force (default settings) to a character. The result was something like deflating an inflatable doll. :-D

Porcus Dev

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Oct 12, 2017
Once I tried to use D-Force on hair that was not D-Force product and the result looked very strange. But I didn't use a weight map.
And once I tried to add D-Force (default settings) to a character. The result was something like deflating an inflatable doll. :-D
Lol, yeah, don't use it in the character :p

For the hair, I quickly looked for a video that might help you (I used a gradient in the weight map instead of painting it, it's faster, but the concept is very similar):

Reactions: lawfullame

lawfullame

Game Developer
Aug 6, 2019
Lol, yeah, don't use it in the character :p

For the hair, I quickly looked for a video that might help you (I used a gradient in the weight map instead of painting it, it's faster, but the concept is very similar):
Thanks, this could be helpful.

Reactions: Porcus Dev

lawfullame

Game Developer
Aug 6, 2019
I tried it, and adding D-Force and weight map to non-d-force hair causes an error. Probably some memory problem.

Porcus Dev

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Oct 12, 2017
I tried it, and adding D-Force and weight map to non-d-force hair causes an error. Probably some memory problem.
But I guess the error will occur in the simulation, right? ... not when you apply the dforce and weight map :unsure:

Porcus Dev

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Oct 12, 2017
Always save the file before doing the simulation.

And to avoid that problem, try to uncheck the "Self Collition" option on all hair surfaces.
And in the parameters of the simulation, maybe it's better to use "Good..." instead of "Better..."

lawfullame

Game Developer
Aug 6, 2019
Always save the file before doing the simulation.

And to avoid that problem, try to uncheck the "Self Collition" option on all hair surfaces.
And in the parameters of the simulation, maybe it's better to use "Good..." instead of "Better..."
Thanks, I'll try to play with the parameters. Normal simulations with D-force compatible products usually work well.
I always save before simulation and before rendering.