• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Trying Attach VLC module (python-vlc) to Renpy

DiviDreamer

Aug 29, 2020
Hello i am Trying Attach VLC module (python-vlc) to Renpy
without any luck, in all possible variation of module version and platform 32,64
with all possible path for 'libvlc.dll' but still its not working and gives error
after import vlc
Does anybody have ideas or maybe solution for my problem?
Thanks

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
I can't answer the question you asked.

But I can ask what problem are you trying to solve with VLC? It seems an unusual requirement for a visual novel.

Perhaps there is another way to achieve the desired outcome.

Renpy is based on pygame, so if you *must* have vlc in your renpys, then perhaps investigate that path.

DiviDreamer

Aug 29, 2020
I can't answer the question you asked.

But I can ask what problem are you trying to solve with VLC? It seems an unusual requirement for a visual novel.

Perhaps there is another way to achieve the desired outcome.

Renpy is based on pygame, so if you *must* have vlc in your renpys, then perhaps investigate that path.
I was researching in that direction too but still no luck
i want vlc library in renpy because vlc support much more video codecs and containers
plus streaming support.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
but still its not working and gives error after import vlc
Knowing what errors could have helped solve the issue...

i want vlc library in renpy because vlc support much more video codecs and containers
plus streaming support.
Reasons why it's just a whim:

1. There's absolutely no reason to want to add support for more video codecs to Ren'Py, since it support the nowadays most used ones ;
  2. There's absolutely no reason to use VLC to provide the support for more video codecs, Ren'Py already use FFmpeg ;
  3. Even if you achieve to make VLC works with Ren'Py, your videos will only be viewable if the right codecs are installed on the player computer ;
  4. I doubt that the said players would be happy to have to install yet another codec just for your game ;
  5. I doubt that the said players would be happy to know that your game access to remote servers to stream videos ;
  6. Something tell me that the said server wouldn't be yours, and I doubt that the owner of the server would be happy that your game stream their videos.

DiviDreamer

Aug 29, 2020
Reasons why it's just a whim:
I getit why you concerned about my reasons,
and you wrong in all six parts of you answer, im not going to do any of this my main goal more flexible video standards
- this is really mediocre support for me,
even mp4 part2 only <meme>what year is it?</meme>

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
and you wrong in all six parts of you answer,
Here's the list of by FFmpeg, while this is the list of by VLC.

This conclude the discussion, you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

Reactions: DiviDreamer

DiviDreamer

Aug 29, 2020
Here's the list of by FFmpeg, while this is the list of by VLC.

This conclude the discussion, you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.
Thanks, i already tried all functionality that renpy ffmpeg can provide
build in ffmpeg and native ffmpeg as i understand have many difference
like native ffmpeg can play h265 and vc1 easily, and renpy just cant.