Tutorial video for proofreading.

I'm Not Thea Lundgren!

AKA: TotesNotThea
Donor
Jun 21, 2017
Not that I know of, but if you want some tips, apart from the obvious (speelchecking & grammer) read everything more than once, read everything out loud to see if it sounds right. ;)

Reactions: anne O'nymous

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
Not that I know of, but if you want some tips, apart from the obvious (speelchecking & grammer) read everything more than once, read everything out loud to see if it sounds right. ;)
And read the sentences backward.

When you read them forward, part of your brain know what is the expected next word, and you can easily be fooled, reading the word you expect in place of the one effectively wrote. Plus, when doing this you tend to focus on the sentence, while proofreading should be solely focusing on the words.

Guys, i meant proofreading tutorial video for adult games. I'm using atom
What do you mean by "proofreading" then ?

I mean, whatever the software you use to write, and whatever the subject you're writing about, the way to proofread is exactly the same. Therefore you give another meaning to this word, and knowing what it is would help answering you.

I'm Not Thea Lundgren!

Donor
Jun 21, 2017

When you read them forward, part of your brain know what is the expected next word, and you can easily be fooled, reading the word you expect in place of the one effectively wrote. Plus, when doing this you tend to focus on the sentence, while proofreading should be solely focusing on the words.
That's why I read it out loud focusing on each word as I go.

Jul 15, 2020

What do you mean by "proofreading" then ?

I mean, whatever the software you use to write, and whatever the subject you're writing about, the way to proofread is exactly the same. Therefore you give another meaning to this word, and knowing what it is would help answering you.
What i mean is that reading the text and correcting any mistakes in the dialogues for adult game. I wanna help to a dev.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
What i mean is that reading the text and correcting any mistakes in the dialogues for adult game.
Well, what do you expect from a tutorial, that haven't already be said on this thread ?

Proofreading is (relatively speaking) simple. You read the text, you correct the errors, dot. And how to do increase your chances to catch the said errors have been answered.

The only think that haven't been said, is how to "report" your works, and here it depend. Globally there's to school for this.
There's those who do it on the source:
Code:
    # - PROOFREADING - 
    # "original of the dialog line"
    # Eventual comments if you're not sure to understood something.
    "corrected version of the dialog line"
And there's those who do it on an external file:
Code:
filename:line
Eventual comments if you're not sure to understood something.
"Corrected version of the dialog line"
And that's all you need to know.

There's no magic tools or secret formula for this. I mean, yes there's grammar check tools, spelling check tools and all, but generally the author already used them.
Proofreading is not letting machines catch the errors, it's using your eyes and brain to catch the errors missed by any automatic processes that can have passed through the text prior to you.

I'm Not Thea Lundgren!

Donor
Jun 21, 2017
Well, what do you expect from a tutorial, that haven't already be said on this thread ?

Proofreading is (relatively speaking) simple. You read the text, you correct the errors, dot. And how to do increase your chances to catch the said errors have been answered.

The only think that haven't been said, is how to "report" your works, and here it depend. Globally there's to school for this.
There's those who do it on the source:
Code:
    # - PROOFREADING -
    # "original of the dialog line"
    # Eventual comments if you're not sure to understood something.
    "corrected version of the dialog line"
And there's those who do it on an external file:
Code:
filename:line
Eventual comments if you're not sure to understood something.
"Corrected version of the dialog line"
And that's all you need to know.

There's no magic tools or secret formula for this. I mean, yes there's grammar check tools, spelling check tools and all, but generally the author already used them.
Proofreading is not letting machines catch the errors, it's using your eyes and brain to catch the errors missed by any automatic processes that can have passed through the text prior to you.
I do it two ways, it really depends on the dev and how they prefer it.
I generally prefer to edit the original script, then when I pass it back the dev can do a comparison (using the inbuilt compare feature) in Notepad++ (or their editor of choice)
Some prefer to give me the game and send them back screenshots of each thing that needs editing.
A few even give me the script and just want the changes needed along with the original line number. (as you already pointed out.)

Reactions: anne O'nymous

79flavors

Respected User
Jun 14, 2018
I wonder if you're mixing up " " and "spell checking".

Spell Checking is about whether each word is spelt correctly. Although some modern spell checking software also take some limited context into account too.

Proof reading is the process of checking if the whole thing is "correct". That's not just spell checking, but grammar, checking for missing words and generally ensuring that the "flow" of the text works too.

For example. Something machine translated from Russian into English will almost always pass 100% a spell checker, but it will still feel wrong when read. Sometimes that will be incorrect words used, or idiom or phrasing or hyperbole or any of the little things that make a native English speaker stumble over the translation.

Proof reading is more art than technology. Spell checking is easy by comparison.
Though I'm sure projects like may offer machine proof reading sooner than I imagine.

Spell checking of RenPy code is switched off by default for Atom. There's a link in my signature for a guide I wrote a while ago about how to switch it back on, if you perhaps wanted that instead of proof reading.