Twine for VN?

Euphoria Workshop

Oct 21, 2022
Honest question, is it a good idea to create a VN (Though overall more of an interactive story) in Twine? My idea for the first production doesn't have any amazing things. I want to fully focus on the story, dialogues and character relationships, interspersed with renders from DAZ. I want to give a good game with a good story and my equipment doesn't allow me too much for efficient rendering hence this choice. Is this a good way to go?

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
Yeah, usually, a lot of project also use what is called the 'sugarcube' plug in, but I don't use twine to explain what it does, but I know a lot of good projects use Twine. Some games can get pretty complex, such as with Degree of Lewdity which has a fully explorable map that slowly changes (ie getting stocked by monsters or getting trapped deeper underground). and twine makes it much easier to prototype a story compared to writing scripts.

what you may find a challenge is getting a VN like experience if you want character images to change every dialog. You can do it, but it is not as streamlined as Renpy, in twine you'll likely have to make new pages for every time you want to change the scene image or character image. A compromise I've seen is some devs will just use head icons to complement the dialog so that they can collect a conversation in one page without having to break it up too much.

the nice thing I like about twine is just play it in the browser without needing to extract a folder/executable.