Ren'Py Two Quick Menus

79flavors

Respected User
Jun 14, 2018
And I'm sorry I didn't explain myself better from the beginning.

Likewise, no problem.

Half my posts here on the forums are about the things I "think" the person meant rather than what they actually wrote.
It's both a curse and a blessing and skill I've learned when dealing with my elderly mother's requests. :p

I also tend to over-explain my solutions, figuring that it's much better that someone understand WHY this solution might work rather than just copy/pasting a solution that they don't understand. I also figure that even if I've come up with the wrong solution - my explanation will make it easier for the person to adapt it for their own needs. I also tend to write for the people that are as stupid as I can be sometimes, not because the original poster is - but because the person that reads the same post 6 months down the line might be.

Glad you've got it working how you planed. That's all that really matters.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
I also tend to write for the people that are as stupid as I can be sometimes, not because the original poster is - but because the person that reads the same post 6 months down the line might be.
I would add that it also permit to limit the misunderstanding. Especially when it come to a subject that the person who answer tend to understand well, or even master ; because yes, there's some subject that you now master.

By example, in one of my wrong answers, I talk about making the altered "quick_menu" screen be created after the original one. Since years I know three different way to replace a screen by another, and I don't count the number of time I've explained at least one of them. It's easy, in those condition, to just forget to explain how to do it.
But it's not because it's something basic, that the reader will know how to do it, nor because I explained it again and again, that the same reader will have read one of those explanation. Assuming, without bad intention, that the reader is "stupid", ensure that you'll not forget something because, from your point of view, it's part of the base.

Glad you've got it working how you planed. That's all that really matters.
Agreed. And anyway what you and I have answered isn't lost. It's now somewhere on his memory, and this could help him one day ; this without counting all the future readers.