unable to save my progress in html games after a short time playing them

death705

Sep 22, 2017
title is somewhat self explanatory but for context, when I first start an html based game I am able to save my game/progress, but after awhile, could be 10 minutes or 1 hour, it starts giving me an error whenever I try to save my game. I am not sure what is causing this, nor have I been able to find other threads about or containing this issue. any help would be greatly appreciated, though I'm not in a rush as I can still "save to disk" after this happens. I'm not sure if this is just me being an idiot about settings, but I honestly can't think of a reason this has been happening lately as I haven't made any changes to my system since before this issue started appearing, it just sort of appeared out of no where from my perspective.

this is what comes up when I try to save:
(note, the game this error was pulled from specifically was "The Company", but it happens in all HTML based games to me)

Apologies! An error has occured. You may be able to continue, but some parts may not work properly

Error: Uncaught TypeError: Cannot assign to read only property 'message' of object".

Stack Trace:
TypeError: Cannot assign to read only prperty 'message' of object" at e.value ([redacted file route])
at C ([Redacted file route])
at v ([Redacted file route])
at HTMLButtonElement, <anonymous> ([Redacted file route])
at HTMLButtonElement.dispatch ([redacted file route])
at HTMLButtonElement.q.handle ([Redacted file route])

[I pulled the file route as I don't think that is important as this isn't a game specific issue, but can post with the route if necessary]

Kthulian

www.kthuliangames.com
Game Developer
Apr 27, 2018
Hello @death705 , have you tried different browsers to see if the same thing happens with them? And does that happen with flash games like the first LOP games or pure html like Redemption for Jessica? It will be easier to help you if you describe the whole problem and what you already did to solve it.

Cheers

Reactions: papsuken

W65

May 31, 2018
If you're talking about games made in Twine/SugarCube, which many HTML games are, then it's some kind of known problem with saves in that system. I've experienced it with Free Cities personally, if I remember right.

I dunno what causes it or solves it for browser-cache saves. If your games support saving to disk, then use that option since it appears that kind of save doesn't have that problem.

death705

Sep 22, 2017
@Kthulian, I have not tried in another browser, though I should and will, and will post again if the issue occurs in other browsers as well. for troubleshooting I have done, there isn't a whole lot that I could think of to do. I cleared my cache and temp data, made sure browser was up to date, 1 by 1 shut off any plugins I have active and made sure anything like flash was also up to date even though I don't think they are used for these types of games. as for what type of games this happens to, only the style of html game that "the company", "cracking: the second strain", "free cities" etc is, the kinds with the save button on a side bar on the left (not super up on the differences of all html games or I'd be more specific, sorry), and this doesn't happen with flash games as I don't use a browser for those

@W65, so this is a known issue then, I am both glad that other people know about it and sad that it's still being worked out. hopefully it gets fixed soon

scrumbles

Engaged Member
Jan 12, 2019
In Free Cities this happens quite often. Our saves are cached in the local storage of our browser, but its size is usually limited to 5MB/domain. When the quota is reached, either we free some slots or we save on our hard disk. Alternatively we can increase the memory limit (on Firefox, open "about:config", type "dom.storage.default_quota" and double click to edit the value).

I doubt that this issue affects games like The Company, though: the size of the saves should be pretty small, they should not hit the quota limit. Unless they include stuff like custom images and such.

death705

Sep 22, 2017
After testing a few games in firefox, I found that I could not replicate the issue there, but I am still able to force the issue after only a few saves in chrome. not sure if this means that some games are having an issue with chrome or if there is a setting I don't know about that popped into existence a month ago that severely limits the amount of data a game can use when saving. if anyone has an idea of what setting it might be, or what issue it might be, I would be grateful to hear it as I'd prefer to use chrome rather than firefox personally, but I will continue using firefox for now.

@scrumbles, even if I delete my saves in things like the company, it still won't let me save once the issue has appeared, leading me to think it isn't a cache size issue but I am not an expert on things like this. also, as far as I know, the company does not save any custom images, though I could be wrong about that

Kthulian

www.kthuliangames.com
Game Developer
Apr 27, 2018
After testing a few games in firefox, I found that I could not replicate the issue there, but I am still able to force the issue after only a few saves in chrome. not sure if this means that some games are having an issue with chrome or if there is a setting I don't know about that popped into existence a month ago that severely limits the amount of data a game can use when saving. if anyone has an idea of what setting it might be, or what issue it might be, I would be grateful to hear it as I'd prefer to use chrome rather than firefox personally, but I will continue using firefox for now.
So a different browser seems to work. Chrome is using to much space for "random unknown processes :LOL:" You can also try Opera and Vivaldi and see if they work too. Personally I prefer Opera, but the default for compatibility and performance is indeed Firefox. I don't use Chrome but I can check if there is an option or something causing this problem, what is the game that crashes more often? So I can test it

death705

Sep 22, 2017
it's not a crash, the games just refuse to save any longer giving the initial error code up top, after the error appears, the game just continues, forcing me to use save to disc as a workaround, sorry if that wasn't clear. but from recent memory, there is obviously "the company" which I was playing recently and was the one that spurred me to post her, there is also "the inheritance", "cracking: the second strain", "free cities" and any game that is built in that same engine. but as for what ones it appears more often, I can only point to "the company" as the most recent example

Kthulian

www.kthuliangames.com
Game Developer
Apr 27, 2018
Yes I got it, I said crash but I meant error/bug :LOL: Have you tried other browser besides Firefox and Chrome?

death705

Sep 22, 2017
I've also now tried it with IE as that's the only other browser I have installed and cannot replicate the issue there as of yet

Jun 21, 2017
I know this is "solved" but here is what I did for anyone else who comes across this: I use Vivaldi(chromium) right click on your game go to inspect go to application tab, localstorage, file, from here see what is taking up the most space and manually open the other game up and either save those saves to disk or just delete redundant/old saves.

Reactions: tianya