Uncompressed Android Ports

If given the choice would you play an uncompressed port over a compressed one?

• Total voters

DyonisXX

Jun 13, 2022
Hey guys,

There's been something that's been bothering me for a while, and I'm sure you can guess what that is based on the title of this thread.
It's the absolute lack of uncompressed android ports.

All I wish for is for ports, especially renpy games, is for them to be uncompressed and have motion gestures for opening save menu/hiding text box/rewinding text.
Those are the 2 major features that I'm looking for in an android port.
Other features I'm looking for is: access to a save folder, built in community mods and player modability; these have been achieved by using a separate folder on your phone outside the android/apk folder where the game stores renpy/game and save folder data.

Please add any porters that you're aware of in the comments if they offer uncompressed ports or the ability to turn a compressed port into an uncompressed state.

And if you're a major porter reading this post, I urge you to switch your ports moving forward to an uncompressed state. It massively improves the quality of the ports, let dedicated compressors compress games from now on.

If nothing else, consider the absolute lack of future proofing that compressed games offer: your ports will always be compressed but people's devices will continue to get better. At the very least make the ports for completed games uncompressed, because they will not need to be ported again.

Donjoe81

Dec 30, 2022
I understand why people publish compressed versions, because most people play it on their phone with a much smaller screen then a monitor or TV. But I would rather have the option to have uncompressed versions because Android doesn´t always mean Smartphone, but could also be other Devices that run on bigger screens and would look really shitty if it was compressed.

I´m not sure how the placement of the save location works. But on Android 11 it´s often times a pain in the ass when you try to access saves or the game folder because A11 has restricted access to those locations.

Another thing I would add is if you want to develop a game for Android, then don´t use the Godot engine because you´ll have massive problems with compatibility.

Last edited:

MikoKju

Donor
Dec 17, 2017
apk packages has a soft limit of 2GB and a hard limit of 4GB. The only workaround I know is to make user put rpa files into a folder that the game apk can read or use Joiplay.