Unity Ren'Py Unity or Ren'Py?

Max Craving

Game Developer
Oct 14, 2017
Hi, i want to create a game (like Big Brother and Lust and Power) and i see two suitable engines – Unity and Ren'Py.

Which of them to choose?

As far as i know now, Ren'Py is a engine just for Visual Novel, and it should be easier and contains more features for that purpose. On the other side, Unity seems to me more complex and it should contain more opportunities to do more features in the game.

I want content like skill system which allows player to use some skills in the game situations. Is it possible in Ren'Py to make features like this? I think that Ren'Py will be easier but i'm afraid i will not able to make content i want. Plus i think i will be able to create some more serious game with Unity. What do you think?

UselessAcc

Jun 3, 2017
I want content like skill system which allows player to use some skills in the game situations. Is it possible in Ren'Py to make features like this?
Yes, with Ren'Py you can theoretically do anything, as long as it's not 3D, but as far as complex mechanics are concerned: they will be much more easier to implement in Unity, drawback of Unity would be that it requires much more up-front work than Ren'Py.

Reactions: Max Craving

CobraPL

NTR PALADIN
Donor
Sep 3, 2016
I red somewhere that most things you learn in Unity will not help you with other engines. Because of non-common concepts used.

docclox

Game Developer
Aug 20, 2016
Honestly, unless you want to do a 3D shooter type project, Unity is way more complication than you need.

Renpy is easy to use, you can use imagemaps to make widgets and UIs without any great amount of work and you've got all of Python and Pygame backing it up if you need it.

DSSAlex

Aug 19, 2017
Both will do what you want. Ren'Py has all the visual novel stuff built in out of the box. You'll probably have to learn about it's screen system to get the most out of it. I haven't actually used Unity but it seems like the learning curve is a little bit steeper, given that it's a robust system for 3d games it's not too surprising.

Jimbles

Aug 30, 2017
I want content like skill system which allows player to use some skills in the game situations. Is it possible in Ren'Py to make features like this? I think that Ren'Py will be easier but i'm afraid i will not able to make content i want. Plus i think i will be able to create some more serious game with Unity. What do you think?
Ren'Py has the ability to track stats/points built into it just by simple manipulation of . Stats are just variables, no matter what language/engine you're using. The main differences are how those stats are built and how they interact with the game. Unity is great for handling complex stuff, like 3D. Ren'Py however, is a Python based engine so it can still handle an immense amount of complexity and it's in a very simple user friendly language. Unity, if memory serves correct is in C, which isn't the end of the world, but isn't nearly as friendly to new programmers as Python.

Additionally, Ren'Py has a lot of features (like game saving) built right into it, making your life easier.

For most things, with a bit of simple manipulation, Ren'Py can probably cover everything you want it to do. If you want some examples of what Ren'Py can handle, check out , , , and . Good examples of what Unity can do are , , and .

CobraPL

NTR PALADIN
Donor
Sep 3, 2016
There are more bad projects in Unity than in RenPy. if you plan VN/slideshow with text, stick with REN'PY.

Max Craving

Game Developer
Oct 14, 2017
Ren'Py has the ability to track stats/points built into it just by simple manipulation of . Stats are just variables, no matter what language/engine you're using. The main differences are how those stats are built and how they interact with the game. Unity is great for handling complex stuff, like 3D. Ren'Py however, is a Python based engine so it can still handle an immense amount of complexity and it's in a very simple user friendly language. Unity, if memory serves correct is in C, which isn't the end of the world, but isn't nearly as friendly to new programmers as Python.

Additionally, Ren'Py has a lot of features (like game saving) built right into it, making your life easier.

For most things, with a bit of simple manipulation, Ren'Py can probably cover everything you want it to do. If you want some examples of what Ren'Py can handle, check out , , , and . Good examples of what Unity can do are , , and .
Thanks, dude, for so much details. I've chosen to do game on Ren'Py)

Reactions: gue5t and Jimbles

Cyan

Jul 25, 2017
I red somewhere that most things you learn in Unity will not help you with other engines. Because of non-common concepts used.
I'm not really sure where you got that information. I programmed in Java/Unreal engine and picked up Unity in less than a week. It's extremely similar in a lot of different regards.

Ren'py borderline can't even be considered a game engine it's so simple. That's both its strength and its weakness in my opinion. On the other hand, I can't recommend using Unity unless you have a pretty decent programming background; not really something you can pick up and learn quickly like with ren'py.

Max Craving

Game Developer
Oct 14, 2017
On the other hand, I can't recommend using Unity unless you have a pretty decent programming background; not really something you can pick up and learn quickly like with ren'py.
Studied C++ for two years in university and working this year as front-end developer, but i think for my current purpose Ren'Py will be optimal decision.

Reactions: Cyan
Mar 26, 2017
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
I just wanted to quote you.

Renpy -> For VN only! :) not much of "game" content there. If you want to focus mainly on 2D/3D art, stick with ren-py.
(Also, if you want just few bucks for renders...)

If you value your time, and you want to dedicate yourself to some not entirely useless thing(your own experience point of view), stick with unity.
It´s surely more advanced engine, but also has TON of FREE ASSETS! on it´s store. And will SURELY contain template (in asset store), which will make your game development as easy, as in Ren´py.

Renpy - Easy(Even more than RPGMaker MV), Very limited, non modular, easy money
Unity - Easy/Normal, but with right template, piece of cake!, modular, for bigger projects is always better choice. Knowledge of at least ONE programming language is strongly recommended.

For renders/models use Daz3D. Best time/value ratio.

Max Craving

Game Developer
Oct 14, 2017
I just wanted to quote you.

Renpy -> For VN only! :) not much of "game" content there. If you want to focus mainly on 2D/3D art, stick with ren-py.
(Also, if you want just few bucks for renders...)

If you value your time, and you want to dedicate yourself to some not entirely useless thing(your own experience point of view), stick with unity.
It´s surely more advanced engine, but also has TON of FREE ASSETS! on it´s store. And will SURELY contain template (in asset store), which will make your game development as easy, as in Ren´py.

Unity - Easy/Normal, but with right template, piece of cake!, modular, for bigger projects is always better choice. Knowledge of at least ONE programming language is strongly recommended.

For renders/models use Daz3D. Best time/value ratio.
Wow, someone recommends Unity!) Thanks!

Bip

Donor
May 4, 2017
As a gamer, I really prefer Ren'Py.
As a programmer, I really like Ren'Py, but I do not have enough knowledge of Unity to compare.

Ren'Py can be very easy. Looking at the code of most games, I have the impression to see Basic of the 80s
10 print "Hello"
20 goto 10

:extremelyhappy:

But... You can have a much more advanced programming with Ren'Py if you want. Look at the code of for exemple, this is clearly not a daddy's little code. And so, you can do almost anything you want.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
It really bother me when I read thinks like this. Ren'py is as limited and non modular as Unity. There's only two differences between these game engines :
1) Unity use a compiled language while Ren'py use an interpreted one. Basically speaking, it mean that Unity will be better for big projects in need of speed optimization, but not that Ren'py will be slow by itself.
2) There's a ton of add-ons and templates for Unity while nobody felt the need to write some for Ren'py. So, you need more knowledge to use Ren'py further its basis capacities than for Unity, because you have to make everything by yourself.
And that's all, there isn't more differences. You can do with Ren'py absolutely everything you can do with Unity. And when I say "everything", it include real time 3D rendering, since proved, with its small game engine, that Python is suitable for this usage. Obviously, Unity will always be faster and so Ren'py isn't the right choice for too complex real time 3D, but there's somewhere here a demo of a VR game using 3D real time rendering in Python, and it's really not bad for an indie project.

It's not because Ren'py started as visual novel engine and is still seen, and mostly used, this way, that it's all it can do. People tend to limit their view of Ren'py to it's own language, forgetting that not only you can execute any Python statement but also that you don't even need this language and can, at anytime, directly call any single one of the functions behind this language ; and I don't talk about the "Python equivalent to". As well as you can directly call pyGame when needed.

TheNerdXXX

Something in the Water
Game Developer
Feb 14, 2017
I've been working on a game in 4 engines now. Rags, QSP, Unity and Ren'py.

I always dismissed Ren'py, Why? Because I saw nothing but standard Visual Novel style anime games created with it, nothing wrong with that. But my game needed the ability to navigate environments, interact with those environments and I really wanted to have people in those environments changing.

Due to my dismissal of Ren'py I cost myself time in other engines, and even money in Unity.

Thank God for other people showing me what can be done with Ren'py. I am now at the cusp of releasing a 0.1a of my own game. A ren'py game that has NPCs going about their daily routines, Stat tracking and choices that make differences.

I really wish I'd noticed the power of Ren'py along time ago, as I feel I've lost time. But hey, It's led to what I feel is a very promising first release for myself, and I owe that to Ren'py the free and powerful gaming engine! (Could that be more of a promo!?!)

Reactions: F-Zairo and gue5t